Great Bib Shorts without Assos prices ?

Raffles
Raffles Posts: 1,137
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Im finding ordinary waist shorts to be not very comfortable compared to bib short types, I find there is movement in the chamois pad with the waist types that isnt there with the bibs. How well regarded are bib type shorts from manufacturers such as Gore ? There is just no way id consider handing over anything approaching the kind of money that Assos are asking for bibs, but I live in hope that there are manufacturers out there making great bibs at prices that represent outstanding value for money. Obviously a good thick pad in a great fitting product is of high importance. Id be grateful for any bib shorts and manufacturers you could recommend that tick the boxes requirement for me.The bib shorts I own are fairly budget ones and Id really like a decent pair.
2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105

Comments

• guy.spartacus
    guy.spartacus Posts: 321
    DHB from Wiggle do a good range - I've got no complaints
    Road - '10 Giant Defy 3.5
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
    BMX - '04 Haro Nyquist R24 (don't judge me)
  • Raffles
    DHB from Wiggle do a good range - I've got no complaints

Are there issues with DHB shorts being uncomfortably tight fitting, something in the back of my head is telling me I read this somewhere
  • I've never found that to be the case with my DHB's... They fit really well, I think.
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My DHB bibshorts fit just fine. Good pad too.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,182
    The most comfortable bib shorts I have are these http://www.bikesyoulike.co.uk/product/4379/Endura_FS260Pro_Bib_Shorts?gclid=CLnIse3k9a8CFU4lfAodgmtbEw

They're not cheap but half the price of Assos. I also use Giordana. However, there are plenty of decent quality bibshorts out there to match most budgets and providing you get the correct bib length they will be an improvement on none bib shorts.
  • lucasf09
    lucasf09 Posts: 160
    I use the DHB roubaix from a couple years ago, couldn't complain about them at all, very good value. I bought the unpadded long version, and use DHB undershorts underneath and don't have any complaints about the pad (which is the same as they fit the low/med version of the shorts I believe). Considering buying the Aeron race, with better pad, but that just as I am stating to do longer distances, not because of the discomfort of the old ones.
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    I've used Endura, Altura Pro Gel, and currently wear DHB Pace Roubaix , moving on to DHB Aeron Race (once it's warm enough for my delicate constitution). They were/are all fine, I've haven't worn £100+ bibs so I don't know if they hold some magical properties that cheaper bibs don't...
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • beancounter
    beancounter Posts: 369
    I have Assos bibshorts and also Castelli.

The Castelli are probably just as good and quite a bit cheaper.

bc
    2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    The mid and top (out of a range of 3) from Decathalon are actually very good, relatively speaking.

The middle range (red pad) are around £25 and the top (orange/black pad) are £50-£60 ish but perform like things twice their price.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Lusso? (pro or pro gel)
    Simon
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    You need to try them on - Shorts are as personal as saddles really...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Raffles
    smidsy wrote:
    The mid and top (out of a range of 3) from Decathalon are actually very good, relatively speaking.

The middle range (red pad) are around £25 and the top (orange/black pad) are £50-£60 ish but perform like things twice their price.

Are they Decathlon own brand ? Ive seen advertising showing different pad colours when Ive been to that store, I never gave it a second look to be honest. Maybe they are worth looking at on my next visit.
  • smidsy
    Yes I think so - Btwin is what they say on them.

Their base layers, gilets etc are also worthy purchases if you are not label obsessed.

I am a bit (sad I know) so most of my stuff is Gore or Pearl Izumi but I own a set of the Btwin Bib Shorts and they are as good as my Gore ones.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Is Gore really synonymous with quality these days?

I've only owned two Gore items; an older and an "updated" version of the same gilet. The old one is great, the newer one is absolute rubbish (and cost nearly twice the price). Maybe just a one off I guess.
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    I've tried a couple of pairs of Assos, Unos and Milles....They dont do anything for me at all, rubbed like hell. Pad to Wide at the front...And why they dont finish off the Edge of the pad with some stitching is a joke !!

But, the best shorts i have found (for me !!) are Endura Equipe Endurance = Fantastic, must get another pair soon.
    Or Castelli BodyPaints = Such a great pair of shorts for the Summer.

Both as good as each other really, would highly recommend both. Cheaper than Arssos as well.

RichB.
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • Raffles
    smidsy wrote:
    Yes I think so - Btwin is what they say on them.

Their base layers, gilets etc are also worthy purchases if you are not label obsessed.

I am a bit (sad I know) so most of my stuff is Gore or Pearl Izumi but I own a set of the Btwin Bib Shorts and they are as good as my Gore ones.

Oh I am definitely not label obsessed in any way. Ive read a fair bit about Assos, Im sure they are terrific products but I think the prices take the biscuit . If an item bearing the Btwin moniker flat out does the job, Ive absolutely no hang ups about using it and I will check out the Btwin bib shorts referred to earlier.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Try Craft shorts, I've got a couple of pairs now, they're great ! Excellent quality, very comfy pad and excellent fit.

Have a look here: http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    I've just bought 2 pairs of ClubRoost bib shorts from buyabike website for £29.99 a pair. This is half usual price and they have an excellent review in Cycling Active magazine.

They arrived today but I won't have chance to ride in them till the weekend but on face value they look great, very pleased.

Give them a look
  • smidsy
    Godders1 wrote:
    Is Gore really synonymous with quality these days?

Or maybe that is why my Btwin ones are as good as my Gore ones??

I have bib tights, bib shorts, short sleeve jersey, Gilet and gloves all by Gore and have been happy with all of them. Having never owned Assos or Castelli I suppose I have nothing to compare them to in order to give a fair comparison.

I will say that the Pearl Izumi stuff I have is nicer but then again the Gore does everything well enough and lasts.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Lusso pro gel from Merlin £ 37 so good I bought another pair.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Lusso pro gel from Merlin £ 37 so good I bought another pair.
    I had a pair of Lusso shorts a few years back and it was like wearing sandpaper!
    Assos kit is expensive but if you can buy it in a sale I still think it is unbeatable. In my experience it lasts much longer than any of the other brands I've tried , so probably doesn't cost much more per mile ridden. As has been said, different shorts suit different people, but for me, Assos is worth the outlay.
  • andy81
    andy81 Posts: 118
    pauldavid wrote:
    I've just bought 2 pairs of ClubRoost bib shorts from buyabike website for £29.99 a pair. This is half usual price and they have an excellent review in Cycling Active magazine.

They arrived today but I won't have chance to ride in them till the weekend but on face value they look great, very pleased.

Give them a look

How is the sizing? I'm 5'11" with a pretty long inside leg (34") so have problems finding shorts that are long enough and aren't too baggy around the waist!

Thanks
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I use Endura FS260 Pro shorts and they are great for £60-70

I also have a pair of DHB aeron pro shorts that i've used for a few rides which are looking promising -> got them reduced at £50 I think so pretty good value there too.

If i had to choose between the two I'd probably say Endura for the pad -> but the DHB is more comfortable on the legs; especially the gripper at the bottom of the legs which is very nice.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Entry level castelli shorts can be had for about 65quid and come with the Kiss3 pad which is extremely comfortable. I've tried DhB and Lusso but they don't match up to castelli (imo) so for me spending an extra 20 to 30 quid if well worth it.
  • Raffles
    I looked at the b`twin series 7 bibs yesterday and they looked "ok", but I was not blown away at all
  • Specialized has a couple bibs that are affordable. For the money they are pretty hard to beat. I have a couple pair that have at least a hundred washings and they are still like new. There is better out there, but you will pair dearly. But honestly I hate to put a price on comfort and everyone is different. For me they fit well, last forever, and are easy on the wallet.
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    Shutt VR do a decent pair of bib shorts for £45.
  • smidsy
    Raffles wrote:
    I looked at the b`twin series 7 bibs yesterday and they looked "ok", but I was not blown away at all

I did say it was relative. They are OK and the money is OK. Your original request seemed to suggest that OK stuff for OK money was what you were after.

As I stated in my OP they perform just as well as my Gore stuff and the pad is certainly comparible for comfort/performance.

Did you actually try any on?

It may be that you need to pay Assos prices after all :shock:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    21 days after having placed my order at bike-mall.com, yesterday I finally received my fake Chinese Rabobank jersey and bibshorts. (2012 model, €37 = £29 !!)

According to the price I didnt expect much of it but I was positively surprised when I opened the package and felt the fabric. So smooth and well finished, also the padding looked good. I took it for a short 40km ride in the sun and it felt great. It didnt get too sticky and the bibs (though I still have to get used to them a bit) fit great and prevent any sores.

I can higly recommend buying your stuff there. But be warned: Check out the size charts very well before ordering anything since their sizing is totally different from normal cycling wear. I checked all the sizes before I made my choice but when the order came in yesterday I was a bit surprised that the bibs were a bit larger and the jersey was a bit smaller than I thought. Turns out they fit perfect and that I've been riding in the wrong size all along.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Nickel wrote:
    Entry level castelli shorts can be had for about 65quid and come with the Kiss3 pad which is extremely comfortable.
    I've got a pair of castelli's with a kiss pad and the pad has gone very thin, not lasted very well for the price they were.... I'm going to try some santini ones from prendas
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight