The Alex Kaiser Legacy trail

Gazlar
Gazlar Posts: 8,084
edited May 2012 in The Crudcatcher
Hi Guys

Just had the following email from Lisa at Cognation regarding our request to name part of a trail after Kaise...
cognation wrote:
Hi Gaz,

Thank you for your e-mail, we were sad to hear the news about Alex and our thoughts are with his friends, family and all that knew him.

I have spoken to a colleague in Forestry Commission Wales regarding your request below and he thinks that there is the potential of naming a section of one of the new trails in memory of Alex. There are a number of options about naming a trail section and I wanted to ask you what you thought would be most appropriate. These are the new trails opening over the next year and a half:

adults skills area in Afan Forest Park
downhill trail – Cwmcarn
cross country trail – Cwmcarn
Redevelopment of the Penhydd trail – Afan Forest Park

If you could let me know what would be most suitable then we can discuss it further and let you know the timescales for the chosen trail.

Kind Regards
Lisa

So there we have it, positive news, I put it to discussion with you for the next couple of days which woiuld be most appropriate, at which point I'll take the idea back to Cognation with what we think. Also perhaps we could have some ideas of what we could do to help the project such as volunteering or having a collection to pay for a sign or piece of trail art maybe,

Anyway with regards to the location, i'll open a poll up now...... Cheers guys for supporting this

By the way, I shall leave the poll running until Monday morning at which point i'll be getting back to cognation

Edit - Both Afan options removed as already they are lagging way behind
Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
Amy
Farnsworth
Zapp

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    he spent a fair amount of time DHing at Cwm in the last few months of his time, so i think that is fairly fitting so see how we go here :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I said Redevelopment of the Penhydd trail simply because it is likely to happen sooner. But whatever riding he preferred really.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Also perhaps we could have some ideas of what we could do to help the project such as volunteering
    Crudfest.

and we do trail building and camp on site? (which ever site is chosen).

all with the guidence and approval of the powers that be.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Gazlar
    Personally for what its worth, my leaning is towards Cwmcarn also as its closer to his home in Bristol and he did ride there a lot. My thoughts though are that the xc trail would be a better choice as its accessible to more people, even the mos hardcore downhillers ride the trails and appreciate an epic downhill section of it, but not all trail riders can ride downhill. I do also see the logic behind the downhill trail.

Nicklouse, I was thinking exactly the same thing, if theres any reason to not worry about the riding, come together and raise a can to the guy as a group, surely this would be it

Also at this point I shall take the idea to Alex's family to see if they think it appropriate.
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Downhill Trail gets my vote. He'd just bought his DH bike with the insurance money from the Edison and was loving the DH.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    I went for XC at Cc, because that's my thing, but honestly I'd pitch into any of the above. Loving the Nicklouse's idea.

Fantastic news, either way. Well played, Gazlar.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    Went for the dh at CC as that was his bag

Nice one Gazlar top work chap
  • Gazlar
    Just another update, I've had a lovely message from Alex's Dad, who thinks that the idea is a beffiting tribute and had given it his and the family's blessing. I've promised to keep him up to date with things as they move forward.
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • 123oldman
    123oldman Posts: 268
    I opted for XC at CC, more riders are likely to use the trail including a fair few DH riders! Tbf any option will be a good thing, lets make the section something special!
  • Thewaylander
    I just hope it's not a motorway style, blue section Kaiser will come back and kick us all... hard lol.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I just hope it's not a motorway style, blue section Kaiser will come back and kick us all... hard lol.

I voted for the XC 'cos he was so full the craic for everyone on here that it would be fitting if more people recognised that by riding a trail named in his memory. Having said that I wholeheartedly agree with the above comment, it really needs to be a proper, fun, singletrack heavy, trail. Not some whacked type 1 double-track/fireroad mostrosity.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Thewaylander

I voted for the XC 'cos he was so full the craic for everyone on here that it would be fitting if more people recognised that by riding a trail named in his memory. Having said that I wholeheartedly agree with the above comment, it really needs to be a proper, fun, singletrack heavy, trail. Not some whacked type 1 double-track/fireroad mostrosity.

Indeed,no issues what we build as long as it's banging good, and not like say the FOD verderers peice of poo, the man was a biker :) and what ever is built should hopefully reflect that :)
  • Gazlar
    Yeah, I think what ideally I'd like to be able to do is once details have been ironed out, perhaps be able to go with a couple of other crudders and see what and where and get involved in the plans, maybe set up a face to face meeting with the trailbuilders. The main thing is whatever is created is fun and memorable for the right reasons.
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    cooldad wrote:
    I said Redevelopment of the Penhydd trail simply because it is likely to happen sooner.
    I thought hell was more likely to freeze over before Penhydd ever reopens! :D

Not sure what I can vote on as didn't really know him and what he liked to ride, but will be a great tribute whatever anyway.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i chose the xc at CC simply because more people will see it. i know he was mainly a DH head so either at CC wolod be good :D

great work btw gazlar 8)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,162
    edited May 2012
    I voted Cwm DH because it was his sort of trail (and I like it as well).

[Edit: good going Gaz]
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    I voted Cwmcarn DH too. Was lucky enough to know Alex in real life through BMBC and know just how much he loved the DH course there. And loved ragging the Blue Pig down there, mostly whipping guys on much bigger, meaner full sus DH rigs. I think it's the perfect tribute.
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    I've voted for the XC as I think it better more people can ride the trail and pay tribute. However, it would be good to check the site out first before committing to it, as if it's a rubbish blue trail, I'd go for the DH as that's what he would have preferred I think.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Downhill CC... He was at a DH event when he passed so would seem most fitting to me.

Plus, he was all over twitter the months before, absolutely buzzing about his new DH bike.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Yeah, I've gone for CC DH. CC as the location for sure, but as for XC or DH it's a tough one, while the XC would be more accessible to the most Kaiser really was going nutty about DH.

On top of this I'd just think it'd be appreciated more a little more. I mean when it comes down to it if you think about riding a trail centre sure you vaguely remember the whole thing, but it's only the really great sections that stand out afterwards. I think it'd be a shame if the section didn't do this and just didn't do Kaiser justice like it should. Whereas I don't think you really have to worry about that with a DH trail as at the end of the day it's all about having great fun on the descent and they're generally pretty good fun all the way down.

Just my thoughts though.
  • Thewaylander
    Cor this one is sooo close lol

I'm sweaty palmed in anticipation and it's not just from watching the girlies walking past my window!
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Wait, what happened to Kaise?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Wait, what happened to Kaise?

Not good, have a search.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Oh jesus, just found the other thread, it somehow had not come up on my radar at all recently. Truely terrible news, but this trail sounds like an amazing tribute, and good on you for getting something going!
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    If Cymcarn trail gets the go ahead, we can have the opening coincide with a monthly rides. Probably get a few of the BMBC members too.
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Thewaylander
    I keep thinking GoGo DH..

But i do understand the XC of course too. I just can't help myself hehe
  • Gazlar
    I think what I will do is drop the two options for Afan as they are lagging way behind already and then go back to cognation with the brief of "one of the Cwmcarn options" to see exactly what they have in mind for both of the options, as in fairness its pretty neck and neck, unless of course we have a runaway winner by Monday. That way we can see what best fits, I mean a really good xc downhill would be preferable to the Alex Kaiser start gate I should imagine.
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Gazlar
    Sorry didn't realise because I changed it to the two options its reset the poll, so can you vote again please
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,162
    Done, c'mon CC DH :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Whilst I see the reasoning behind the DH route, as Kaise was such a top bloke, yes he would love the DH, I mean he really was banging on about his demo and he loved what he was doing. I think an XC trail, admittedly if we get design input to an extent and make a gnarly xc route rather than just work on a blue, then he would love for everyone on here to enjoy it and have a hand in it, because as many downhillers or guys willing to have a pop at a full on DH route are on here and willing to help, I just feel that it may put others off who aren't really into that scene and this being frankly a fantastic community on this part of the forum, it would be a shame for people give their help to this and not be able to enjoy the fruits of their labour. I reckon if we could make a pretty damn gnarly black/red XC route then the people who put the work on this can enjoy the fruits of their labour, and as such it would be there for all to enjoy, and without wanting to insult or offend anyone, I think it's what he'd want.