Whould you?

chazkayak
chazkayak Posts: 193
edited May 2012 in MTB general
If you could, would you travel to the Alps (German/Austrian) for a weekend of MTBing?

If you didnt have to worry about a bike (supplied by me) Had an experienced guide to take you on the trails (me) Didnt have to worry about accomodation (arranged by me) and had airport transfer, 45 mins to and from accomodation.

You would need to arrange your flights and bring your riding kit (I would supply day sack with breakdown kit inner tubes etc). Food and Beer tokens would need to be supplied.

The types of riding would be from rolling hills overlooking the mountains to Downhill Bikepark to Technical All Mountain. All standards of rider would be catered for.

The best riding season is normally May-Sept, any earlier or later could have snow on the trails.

I am also qualified in other Outdoor Pursuits (kayaking L4, Paragliding Tandem+Instructor, and Skiing) these could also be on offer.

Obviously cost would be a major factor but I would try and keep it to a reasonable level.

What do you think?

Comments

• Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I don't think anyone could answer without a cost. If it was a fiver, you would get lots of yes's. If it cost £5000, lots of no's.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    chazkayak wrote:
    If you could, would you travel to the Alps (German/Austrian) for a weekend of MTBing?

YES!! :D

Dependant on cost!!
  • hobbo31
    hobbo31 Posts: 107
    Agree with above all about the price
    Giant Trance X1 2008
    Gary Fisher Cobia 29er 2010
    Ribble Road Bike
    Giant XTC Composite 29er 2012
    Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0 2015
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Not for a weekend, too much travel time and hassle for not enough riding. Especially on an unfamiliar bike, it'd take me half the first ride to get to knowit. For longer, aye.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • chazkayak
    The weekend was just an idea for a change of scenary.. a quick trip away. Obviously it would be for longer if required.

What cost would you say is reasonable.....not a fiver..or a tenner!!
  • Northwind
    Check out the competition- frinstance, we're going with White Room this year. We're going in the high season which is £515 for a week, inc meals every day bar the rest day, airport transfers, free drinks, but doesn't include lift passes. Maximum group size of 8, 5 guided rides and a rest day. That's not cheap but they have a superb rep.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    If you can supply some extra pillows for the evening's entertainment then yes.

I would also suggest that food should be in and the type of accommodation is key too, as is how to cater for different demands and experience levels.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A milion billion gazillion. Or a tenner.
    You need to work out the costs, and then see what's viable.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I will be.

;)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    chazkayak wrote:
    The weekend was just an idea for a change of scenary.. a quick trip away. Obviously it would be for longer if required.

What cost would you say is reasonable.....not a fiver..or a tenner!!

£15. Final offer
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    People do it so there must be a market. Do some google work and see what else is on offer, see if you have any direct competition and find some usp's. If it looks promising the invest in advertising, web etc. and see what happens. You'd need something else to fall back on due to short season but it looks like you've got that covered.
    Good luck :-)
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Google sites + domain forwarder + paypal = about £5 a year website. Then a bit of blogging and a few promo deals.
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    I'd do that, but I wouldn't want to use someone elses bike i'd bring my own
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Given it's flying, the time spent getting to the airport, the misery of the airport as you sit around (having to get there 2 hours in advance), the cost of taxi to it or parking the car, luggage hassles either end, is all what usually puts me off short trips. Though if everything I needed was there and I could just take a carry on bag then not so bad.

Price is key though. Also, I'd prefer to use my bike. In part I bought it to (eventually) get it to the alps after all!

Bikes on flights is hassle. Would consider train if can swing an overnight but not sure they run out of ski season. Turn up at St Pancras Friday night, load bike and luggage on train, sleep, awake in the alps Sat morning and ride. Thought that's to French alps. Ideal would be a return Sunday or Monday night. Very costly the train though and in summer probably have to go to France and get the TGV to get down there (or German/Austrian equivalent).
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    chazkayak wrote:
    If you didnt have to worry about a bike (supplied by me) Had an experienced guide to take you on the trails (me) Didnt have to worry about accomodation (arranged by me) and had airport transfer, 45 mins to and from accomodation.

People like options... I think a lot of people will want to use their own bike.

Maybe you could hook a trailer to your car/van/bus to take the bikes on the transfer?

Edit: oh, and, no, definitely not for a weekend. Far too much hassle in terms of transit. A week, yes.

But for a weekend I'd drive to a local-ish trail centre in the uk and get a B&B.
  • Anonymous
    Train to a closer bike park in Europe, e.g. German ones, is something I've been thinking about. Easy to get to St Pancras for me, rucksack plus bike, and a few changes along the way, though mostly high speed trains. Little hanging about, may avoid even needing taxis and transfers, though riding an all mountain bike through streets might be a pain :D

There's been talk of running high speed trains between Germany and London too which would mean less changes and fast.
  • chazkayak
    Its always nice to ride your own bike, BUT it also cost a shed load on Ryan Air to put your bike on!!

For those who want to bring, I would have sufficient transport to accomodate.

Does anyone partake in the other activties I would have on offer (Paragliding, skiing, kayaking).
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    chazkayak wrote:
    Does anyone partake in the other activties I would have on offer (Paragliding, skiing, kayaking).

Kayaking - within reason (lakes/rivers etc not rapids)

Skiing - yes if you're prepared to try coaching! (I know that a fair few people on here already do a fair bit of skiing though if you'd rather cater to them!)
  • chazkayak
    Greer_ wrote:
    chazkayak wrote:

Kayaking - within reason (lakes/rivers etc not rapids)

Skiing - yes if you're prepared to try coaching! (I know that a fair few people on here already do a fair bit of skiing though if you'd rather cater to them!)

What about progressing your kayaking to rivers and rapids???? And progressing your skiing????
  • Anonymous
    Skiing - If you can offer awesome powder as that's what I want to progress with.

Again, taking own kit is more of a preference, or you'd have to offer decent skis not the usual rental trash. Boots even more so. The fit of a boot is very personal. Though for a weekend maybe I'd put up with a boot that isn't a perfect fit, but then if it hurts it's not going to be any use.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    chazkayak wrote:
    Well, snowboarding, not Skiing. And I'd love to have a crack at paragliding.
  • gezebo
    In addition I would say don't spread yourself to thinly, concentrate on offering a good service and play to your strengths. It may be sensible to offer one or two of the activities yourself and seek employment on a freelance basis doing the other stuff, thus gaining gaining a good reputation and valuable contacts...

Regarding the bike provision, having an option to hire or bring your own is certainly good. I would be looking to get good contract rates with hirers until I had a good enough turnover to buy my own. They are expensive to buy and even more so to maintain- give someone else the hassle! Although people have commented on using there own bikes there are many more people who don't use these forums who would like to use this facility, just look at how busy hire shops are... Maybe this is another way you could start? Offer your services through cycle hire shops and give them a commission in return for bookings/cheep hire?

Right, I'm off to start my own up!!
  • chazkayak
    What sort of riding do most people do when away?

The area im looking at doesnt do a great deal of uplift. Its quite a lot of ride up, ride along, ride down!! There are a couple of bike parks , one close by the other a few hours.

I can get bikes for hire quite cheap (but the are cheap) however I could pursuade the owner to get some more expensive bikes. But I am considering buying a few of my own to start.
  • gezebo
    I'd just try and sell what you can offer. Sounds like you can offer xc tours? Nothing wrong with that, plenty of people do it. If there are hire companies then who do they hire too? Locals, tourists? Tap into existing stuff aswel.

Just don't try and sell something you can't deliver, bad experiences always travel further than good ones!
  • Majski
    I won't travel to anywhere outside the UK that doesn't offer permenant uplifts. Just if I'm going that far I want the most riding I can get. This isn't to say there's anything wrong with XC tours, just not my thing
  • lochussie
    lochussie Posts: 276
    I would think people are looking for what they can't get here: uplift with loads of tracks or big mountian riding with great views (well, you can get that in Scotland). I would think people who are happy to hire an unknown bike are gernerally not into riding enough to go on a biking holiday. Being able to cater for mixed ability groups is a must, normally this requires challenging features that can be ridden around or pushed. I kayak a lot but would not pay for guiding etc. I think most people who are into it enought to go on a dedicated holiday will go with their club or mates. As opposed to folk who will be there on hol and do it for a day. I think you will get more info by reading companies' sites.
  • Northwind
    lochussie wrote:
    I would think people who are happy to hire an unknown bike are gernerally not into riding enough to go on a biking holiday.

Well, when we went to A Quick Release a couple of years back, there was quite a few folks on hire bikes. One of those won 24/12 then went off to the 24 hour worlds and came 4th in cat. Another is now UK and European 24hr champion...

Meanwhile I took my own bike and will never win anything :mrgreen: But at least I don't need to feel bad about being left behind on the climbs!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    chazkayak wrote:
    Its always nice to ride your own bike, BUT it also cost a shed load on Ryan Air to put your bike on!!

£30 each way last time I did it. Plus you need a proper bike case to put it in.

It might cost more now, I guess.
  • Majski
    £50 each way when I went to portugal last weekend
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Majski wrote:
    £50 each way when I went to portugal last weekend
    Book in advance and it gets cheaper. Mate of mine and his fiancee are taking their bikes to the alps, and their return flights only cost about £20 more than my flight-only tickets to Geneva cost in March.