Do bicycling commuters shave their pins?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Keiran - entirely depends what you're doing it for.

I'd suggest for most cyclist male shavers it's all just a question of vanity on the bike - in which case, you go a bit above the tan line - assuming you're not some kind of Pete Sampras style hair machine.

If you want to look like a big overgrown baby, take it all off - you'll also let those who see that much know you're a connoisseur of the grumble videos you get on the internet, and that their way of looking and doing it is bizarrely something you aspire to...
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    true story

im blessed...well i say blessed - with a body roughly 90% covered in man-fur

we went away on holiday a few years ago an my mrs suggested i get my back waxed. she said "come with me when i get my eyebrows done, get your back done.

so we go, i lie down face down on the bed, the soothing music in the background, the gentle smells of ylang ylang relax me...next thing i know something that feels like hot magma is on my back being squiged into little strips

this continued for what felt like an hour

my left hand side hurt like a mofo, my right side was ok

the problem the women had was because i have a hairy chest where does she stop so she ended up doing the tops of my arms aswell

when she had finished i looked in the mirror, i looked like i was wearing a hairy chest shield

then the spots came....it was horrible

kids dont get waxed, embrace your hairy goodness
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    The thing I can't (or don't want to) understand is: where do you stop?

Wrists and ankles?

article-0-05BD99E8000005DC-844_634x538.jpg
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I'm not very hairsuit,

But i do shave the family jewels, Well - i use the clippers above the nut and a razor and shaveing foam bellow - but shaving legs - that is just weird!

I also shave my pits fwiw!
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    rubertoe wrote:
    I'm not very hairsuit,

But i do shave the family jewels, Well - i use the clippers above the nut and a razor and shaveing foam bellow - but shaving legs - that is just weird!

Wut?

carlos-diez-fashion-menswear.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    rubertoe wrote:
    I'm not very hairsuit,

wow!

how do you shave your love spuds???!

sweet baby jesus
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rubertoe
    mudcow007 wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    I'm not very hairsuit,

wow!

how do you shave your love spuds???!

sweet baby jesus

Carefully - very - carefully. :D:D

Mrs Rubertoe loves it
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• mudcow007 wrote:

The other 10% are the udders?
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    MsManc, here is a [are some] better question. Are you attracted or put off by dudes with shaven legs? If they do shave their legs how far up must they go? Hairy chest yay or waxed? Armpits shaven or smooth? Lastly, hardwood floor or nice carpet - on a man that is?

Slimed hackney-ponce = Rick Chasey. :P

The thing that worries me most about this is that you have posted this at 0545 in the morning!

Anyway. Not put off by shaved legs - I think they're quite nice to look at, but I've never been out with a cyclist (or anyone else) who has shaved their legs. Other than that, don't really mind, although I quite like a hairy chest. I don't even mind a hairy back - nobody's perfect, and I'd hate someone to have to go through waxing it if they didn't want to. I just don't like long fingernails or toenails - *shudders*.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    mudcow007 wrote:

The other 10% are the udders?

Excellent, nearly a tea/keyboard problem.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    MsManc wrote:
    he thing that worries me most about this is that you have posted this at 0545 in the morning!

Early morning session....

On Star Wars: The old Republic.

Anyway....
    rubbertoe wrote:
    i do shave the family jewels, Well - i use the clippers above the nut and a razor and shaveing foam bellow

Nothing wrong with the action. Everything wrong with the way you're doing it! Nair, veet or hair removal cream! Nothing sharp goes near there. Why? I once clipped my 'Smith and Wesson' shaving (yes the barrel) with clippers. I was at Uni in my room er playing around... I must have laid there for an hour waiting for death to take me. It was only a small cut but as far as I was concerned the World had just ended.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • veronese68
    I'm surprised ITB hasn't jumped at the chance to show his favourite picture again.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I'm interested to see that so many people want others to know their hair situation below the waistline.

Going to explore some pop psychology to find out why....
  • rubertoe
    My only problem is really knowing where to stop, in otherwords how far down and round (towards the back) to go!

Not so far, "touches wood" (no pun intended) had the missfortune of a nic.

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The thing I can't (or don't want to) understand is: where do you stop?
    At the tan line. Ankles to thighs is enough, presuming we're still pretending to be cyclists who look the part and not failed or would-be pron stars. If you don't stop when you hit the tan-end, there's no other obvious point - gentleman's area, chest, ar$e, back, shoulders? No thanks. One leg was bad enough. With hindsight stopping before I got past the top of the sock-line would have been the best option.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I shave my pins, stop just above the tan line. It's fine on the bike, looks a bit strange when I run, and on the beach it looks like I'm wearing a pair of mohair shorts.

I let it grow when it's not racing season, and always do a few rides in shorts early in the new season...it just looks so wrong now to look down and see hairy legs in the lycra. First night between the sheets after the first shave of the season is an amazing sensation!
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    First night between the sheets after the first shave of the season is an amazing sensation!

...Ducky.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I keep 'threatening' to give this a go (my legs; not my sack), but Miss6899 has already explained that she will not be impressed.

Thing is, I reckon I'd look rather hot with my ripped legs all smooth and shiny.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    msmancunia wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    MsManc, here is a [are some] better question. Are you attracted or put off by dudes with shaven legs? If they do shave their legs how far up must they go? Hairy chest yay or waxed? Armpits shaven or smooth? Lastly, hardwood floor or nice carpet - on a man that is?

Slimed hackney-ponce = Rick Chasey. :P

The thing that worries me most about this is that you have posted this at 0545 in the morning!

Anyway. Not put off by shaved legs - I think they're quite nice to look at, but I've never been out with a cyclist (or anyone else) who has shaved their legs. Other than that, don't really mind, although I quite like a hairy chest. I don't even mind a hairy back - nobody's perfect, and I'd hate someone to have to go through waxing it if they didn't want to. I just don't like long fingernails or toenails - *shudders*.

So no guitarists then! my wife says she likes the fur which is handy as shaving would be something of the unending job.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    All very weird. Simple really, men should be hairy. As hairy as possible. Think viking warrior or Rasputin.

Furry bits on ladies is ok too.

Despite the above, I'm oddly fascinated. Question for those men who do depilate: how long do you spend on this behaviour? As someone who trims the beard back occasionally, don't you find you have better things to do? As already mentioned, what if you find yourself plucking your eyebrows?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    I'm not keen on shaved legs on guys.I get why cyclists do it but when I see them at the lights with me and their legs are more groomed than mine, it makes me nervous. I'd say if you're going to do it, you have to keep going to the point at which you are less hairy again - top of the legs.

I've gone out with one Dutch guy who was hairless down there and it did make going down there a bit more pleasant that facing a hedge but it didn't look as sexy to my eyes. Trimmed is good though - presumably for both sexes.

Other bloke hair - I like hairy armpits and some hair on the chest. The back I'm less keen on. However, I've never dumped a guy or refused to go out with him just for his hairiness (or lack thereof)

BelgianBeerGeek, if you wax or epilate, you don't have to spend as much time doing it as if you shave. Maybe an hour a month...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I'm surprised ITB hasn't jumped at the chance to show his favourite picture again.

Hello i've been busy at "work" what did I miss :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

This one or the other one ...?
    4980216330_6dccf25ddb_z.jpg
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    this one .....?
    4927022894_dfd9d87fe7_z.jpg
  • itboffin
    Afterwards?
    4926747027_46b8ec286b_z.jpg
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Hmm...okay.

Don't wan't to pry, I'm guessing that regular work is easier than letting it go. Bit like mowing the lawn really.

It's just a mate of mine who is quite furry once had his back waxed (his GF persuaded him to). He said it took AGES. And it grew back really quick.

Also, is it epilate or depilate? I've always gone for the "depilate", now I'm confused.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    I believe the depilating is removing the hair from the surface while epilating is pulling it out from the roots. So you get depilatory cream but a Braun epilator.

Ouch for your mate on the results of the wax - two possible reasons. He's got relatively fine hair so that it didn't pull out at the roots but just broke below the surface so will grow back more quickly. Or your hair (at least on your legs) doesn't all grow at the same time - some follicles are 'dormant' while others are actively growing and that cycle can be anything from 2-6 weeks. When you remove hair, it will reappear from those 'active' follicles more quickly than it will from the dormant ones. Plus waxing can damage the follicles so if you do it for long enough, the regrowth ends up being sparser than it was originally.
  • veronese68
    itboffin wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Careful, I think that stuff's bad for you.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    I am unfortunately a hairy young man. I tend to roll with some form of NEAT! Facial hair and am barely neat shaven ever. However I do trim my chest rug. For some reason (thankfully!) my back is not hairy. I do the odd bit of man scaping to the forest thatch so it isnt too wild. However I once went 'all the way' and it was way to sweaty or skin on skin as was put earlier on in the thread.

As for the legs, never have and probably never will. However what advantages other than increased definition does hairless legs provide?
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    twist83 wrote:
    However what advantages other than increased definition does hairless legs provide?

There needs to be no other advantage.