Total beginner - would appreciate advice on type of MTB

JKD
JKD Posts: 33
edited May 2012 in MTB beginners
Good morning all. Got directed to this site after asking questions on another forum and it looks very impressive. So I was hoping I could pick your collective brains to decide how best to invest my hard earned :D

Haven't ridden a bike in any form for years now but I really need some exercise that's enjoyable too. I've got a lot of terrain near me good for biking on with woodchip paths round lakes, bogland, woods, country park etc and I've always liked the idea of going on some established trails. And (overly ambitious at this stage I know) perhaps a long term goal of some downhill.

As with everything, budget is an issue. With a ballpark figure of £300, I'd been advised to look towards the 2nd hand market and had presumed full suspension over hardtail would be the best option given what I want to do. But I see from several posts on here that a decent hardtail may be the better option? I'm just under 6ft & 17st.

I'd appreciate some guidance on what boxes I really need to tick for any purchase. Based in Northern Ireland in case that makes a difference for potential retailers.

Thanks for reading. Looking forward to hearing what you all think. :)

Thanks

Comments

• Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    For that budget a decent hardtail would be better that you can focus on upgrading over time. Some of the bigger brands like Giant and Specialized do some fairly good entry level bikes for that price range. Maybe have a look for some demo days and see if you can try some out to get a feel for them.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Even second hand I'd be looking at hardtails for that price. The trouble with full suss is that to get anything worth riding, you have to spend a bit more. And unfortunately, £300 will more than likely just buy you a miserable experience should you go down that route.
    A Downhill bike is an entirely different beast, I wouldn't concern yourself with getting a bike now, that can handle DH trails later, since it will just ruin your enjoyment in the meantime. Also, you're er, looking at a hell of a lot more than £300 for a DH bike!
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    For cycling on woodchip paths and the like, I'd recommend a fully rigid 2nd hand bike. Something like an On One Inbred. This will probably be about the best value and most reliable thing you could get for your limited budget. If you start enjoying it and cycling on some more serious terrain, you can then add some suspension forks if you feel you need them.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    ^^That's actually a pretty good call. Spend your money on something suitable now, which will be a good base to upgrade later if you feel the need.
  • JKD
    Thanks for your input.

Should clarify that Downhill is a goal for what I want to do but I realise any bike I buy now won't be suitable for that.

An upgradable option sounds a good idea, just a case of making the right starting point.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I'd get a 2nd hand hardtail.

That's what I did - I think mine might have been £400 (was a 2 or 3 year old Rockhopper with some upgrades). And used it on Alpine DH tracks and me and the bike are still in one piece. Has had a fork (amongst other things) upgraded now and is still going on strong on the Alpine trails (I definitley use all of my 120mm suspension though :wink: )

Gave me the bug that's for sure as now there's (what was) a £4K DH bike sitting in the garage :D
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    I'd get a 2nd hand hardtail.

That's what I did - I think mine might have been £400 (was a 2 or 3 year old Rockhopper with some upgrades). And used it on Alpine DH tracks and me and the bike are still in one piece. Has had a fork (amongst other things) upgraded now and is still going on strong on the Alpine trails (I definitley use all of my 120mm suspension though :wink: )

Gave me the bug that's for sure as now there's (what was) a £4K DH bike sitting in the garage :D

Hardtails are brutal in the alps! My mrs snapped her stab over there and got given a Kona Fire Mountain for free. I had a go on it and my arms nearlly fell off on pleney.
  • JKD
    Thanks. I think that's the route I'll pursue.

Rather than ask for recommendations, are the any makes/models I should avoid? Also, anything I should look at to ensure future proofing or is any bike likely to be upgradable?

Much appreciated folks :D
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Personally.. i'd save a bit more.. as your could get this... which is REALLY nice for this money..

And you probably wouldnt want to upgrade anything on it for a LONG time....

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2011-id_8168695.html
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • JKD
    £499 would be too much of a stretch sadly (barring finance).

Looking at Chainrecation again though, they have a Ghost SE1200 for £399. Any opinions on that? Might be a bit of a waiting game trying to find a used hardtail over here.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    JKD wrote:
    £499 would be too much of a stretch sadly (barring finance).

Looking at Chainrecation again though, they have a Ghost SE1200 for £399. Any opinions on that? Might be a bit of a waiting game trying to find a used hardtail over here.

For the sake of £100 you would be crazy to buy the Ghost over the Rockrider 8.1.

Wait a month more for your next pay check and go to Decathlon.
  • JKD
    Ok, I take that on board. So it's not that the Ghost is particularly under specced, just the Rockrider is much more for the extra money.

Half a grand is a fair whack for someone just dipping their toe but if the components stand me for longer then I could see it'd be worth it.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Hmm. Whilst advice is advice, and everyone has their own opinion, I'd be wary of spending more than you bargained for because of what someone on a forum said. This place is far too full of people who will suggest that you throw money at any problem to fix it.
    In my opinion, of course.
  • JKD
    Thanks for that. Yeah, I'd be thinking hard about it before going way over my budget but it's worth hearing what everyone thinks. I'd said £300 as a ball park but had in mind I would go to £400 for the right bike. So £500 for something brilliant means making a couple of short term sacrifices.

But all that is weighed up against the fact that being so new means I'm unlikely to be able to judge the finer points and should go for comfort and reliability first.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    At £500 it is way ahead of anything else at the same price.

If can stretch £400 take a look at this:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

Heavy, but good fork and kit.
  • JKD
    Thanks for the link.

I've got a decision to make now 8)
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Yeah the voodoo would be a good bet..

Although the spec of the ghost is what you'd expect from a bike of tha price.. The frames are excellent and The geometry is spot on on all the ghosts I have sat on... So would be a perfect upgradable bike...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • JKD
    Taking my time with this decision (although the excitement has me nearly bought a few times).

Talked to a mate who's big into it and as above, felt the Rockrider 8.1 was very well specced for the money and much better value than the Ghost. But Halfords have a few options that look similarly specced (on paper anyway - not sure on component quality) for cheaper. Not sure about the geometry on the Rockrider, especially as I wouldn't be able to try it first. And purely superficially speaking, I'm not fussed on the looks of the it compared to others.

I'm mulling over the Voodoo Hoodoo & Bantu, Carrera Kraken & Vulcan and the Rockrider.

Although if I was sure the Ghost was the best frame then I'd look at it again for upgrading as I go along.
  • JKD
    Thought I'd update this given the advice many of you were so good to give me.

Went to Halfords today to get a look and feel for a few of these bikes. Can only tell so much on the net. Really impressive range of stuff there.

First thing I noticed was how far bikes have come on. The finish and quality on them now is brilliant. Also, for all the talk about certain models being on the 'weighty' side, they are still incredibly light imo. Obviously you pros would notice that difference on a run but they were a lot lighter than I thought.

The Boardman bikes look fantastic as well.

Voodoo Hoodoo is a lovely looking bike. Love the paint, tasty decals, tough looking bit of kit and really comfortable too. 18" frame for me. But also, the Carrera Vulcan looked really nice too and I know it'll have an inferior fork but starting to think it might be the wiser choice given my starting point and it's price.

Will try and get to Decathlon to try a Rockrider before making any decisions.
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    If you go for anything from Halfords, don't forget to order online using the code NUSMAY12 for an extra 10% off.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    Keep us posted with how you get on at Decathelon as i'm interested to see what you think of the Rock Rider lol .
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • JKD
    I will do.

And thanks for the discount code reminder.

Head and 'entry level' £350bike or............heart and £500 worth??? :lol:
  • mcsparrow
    mcsparrow Posts: 2
    Hi, first post here but have been lurking the forums for ages.

I thought I'd chime in and say I was in the same position as you about 8 weeks ago and went for the Vulcan and have been very happy with it - it looks great and is well made and hasn't let me down thus far. Also imho a nice base to upgrade from. Just a warning though... it has become a bit addictive buying bits for it though such as pedals, grips, tyres, shoes, saddle etc but it all makes for a better ride. :wink:
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    You think that's bad, just you wait. I've bought new brakes, drivetrain and a seatpost this week. And some red disc bolts. What a tart.
  • mcsparrow
    mcsparrow Posts: 2
    Does it ever stop? I've just been eyeing up some rockshox recon gold's just because the price is sooo good....
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I know, it's bad isn't it. I didn't need an SLX drivetrain, but for £200 I couldn't resist.

Once I've got these the only things that will be left on my bike that were there when I got it will be the saddle, wheels and frame.

I feel a slight pang of guilt immediately after ordering stuff I don't need, but next week I'll be like a pig in shit when it all arrives.
  • JKD
    I can imagine. But sure no point in having a hobby if you don't get a little obsessed :D

Might be a change of direction now but I'll keep you all updated
  • Hi i bought a voodoo hoodoo just over three months ago im realy pleasded with it and its well speced up for the geat price keep an eye for extra discount by buying on line i managed to get mine for £390 its been worth every penny also theres a hoodoo on ebay it might be an option you can read a review on this website also in what bike in which its won the best beginners bike :D
  • JKD
    Sorted 8)

Will let you all know what I ended up with when I have it here.

Thanks again to everyone for helping with such newbie questions :D
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    I'll be waiting :wink: .
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604