New Bike

2»

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    itboffin wrote:
    I fitted it all up last night and you're right it's actually not that bad, it's clearly been put together well by someone, the parts however are not long lasting but for £63 who cares.

Mrs RJS once had a bike of this calibre - the frame rusted badly despite being kept indoors :shock:

Anyway, what was the a reason - beyond the hell of it - behind this purchase? Is this to be Spank Mk II?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I'm taking Miss6899 for a curry and couple of beers (white wine or fruit-based cocktail for Miss6899) tonight and that'll probably set me back to the tune of a Halfords Trax TR1 or whatever it's called.

In that sense, then it looks like a decent purchase. But otherwise, I am struggling to understand why a bike nut (Ribble, Dolan, Castelli bibs, shaved legs) would make this purchase.

So, to repeat others... why?

:D
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,066
    itboffin wrote:
    only if they come in 26" and will take my nobbly wanda kings tyres :roll:

custom made Zipps ...?

for the record it weighs 32lbs :shock:
    Try posting the pics in the 'Your Mountain bikes' section - you might get a bit more appreciation than you'll get from this bunch of philistines :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Oooh, it's even got the plastic brake levers! You know, the ones that give you a lovely plush feel to the braking as they flex under even a gentle squeeze.

One of my office colleagues had this (but in black) bought for him by his wife as a present last year, he was almost crying as he explained how he had to express mucho gratitude for this shiny new bicycle bought to replace his scruffy (but decent quality and fairly light) hybrid which had been passed over to a cousin by the wife to make space for the pretty new steed. :-D He hasn't ridden to the office since.....I guess it is due to all of the jokes he had to endure about how we'd have to re-inforce the floor in the store-room to take the weight if he brought that thing in.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Is it just a trick of the photo or do the front dropouts look like they'd slice through butter nicely!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Which brings us back to the ertnal question - Why for Gods' sake?
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Has ITB given any reasons for this purchase? if not why?

Is it because its likely to survive another summer of rioting in one piece as even the yoof of society wouldn't wanna get laughed at for nicking it?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    rubertoe wrote:
    Has ITB given any reasons for this purchase? if not why?

Is it because its likely to survive another summer of rioting in one piece as even the yoof of society wouldn't wanna get laughed at for nicking it?

I don't think yoof are that clever. My son rode the Frankenbike to school (Kinesis frame, XT, White Bros but looks shabby) and his mate rode in on my sons old bike (dreadful Raleigh MTB with lowest spec Shimano). My son was very pleased to see that all of his mates thought the Raleigh was the better bike and the Frankenbike was an old piece of junk. The aim of building a bike that rides well but won't get a second look was clearly achived.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    people wrote:
    Why?
    Son of Spank
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    dhope wrote:
    people wrote:
    Why?
    Son of Spank

Indeed, i'm tired of boris bike hunting in the morning and free dock hunting in the evening.

Spank II - the revenge
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • dhope
    itboffin wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    people wrote:
    Why?
    Son of Spank

Indeed, i'm tired of boris bike hunting in the morning and free dock hunting in the evening.

Spank II - the revenge
    Found a better use for a BSO

mowercycle23.jpg
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • itboffin
    @dhope I like that but prefer this

Assm85qCMAEq0fv.jpg
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • dhope
    itboffin wrote:
    @dhope I like that but prefer this

Assm85qCMAEq0fv.jpg

Be sure to lock up the rack.

Thought it was going to be another SS.
    Campag Record on that, right?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • itboffin
    Super record 11 EPS :roll:

I really love the way when shifting it grinds over the sprockets for 12 or so revolutions before moving it's kinda like a double check that you actually wanted to shift.
  • veronese68
    Shifting by Microsoft. Wow!
  • itboffin
    now I have to get this lump of pig iron to the station, so do i

A). Take it in the car?
    B). Ride it the 16 very hilly miles? (32lbs remember)
    C). Have a beer or two and worry about it another day?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    itboffin wrote:
    now I have to get this lump of pig iron to the station, so do i

A). Take it in the car?
    B). Ride it the 16 very hilly miles? (32lbs remember)
    C). Have a beer or two and worry about it another day?

Don't those BSO MTBs have ultra spinny gears? B.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin
    No idea because its not shifting right and its so damn heavy my enthusiasm to fix it is v v low.

Oh look beer :wink:
  • veronese68
    Some poor soul was riding one of those on the Thames Bridges ride. I couldn't see you anywhere so guess they've sold another one.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Ride it!

I was thinking of riding mine all the way in to Brum this morning. Need some new grips though, mine are twisting off.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • itboffin
    I staying in the garage bloody thing actually gets me out of breath moving it and i also noticed the chain is bone dry :shock:
  • dmclite-3.0
    dmclite-3.0 Posts: 845
    Gonna get fit riding a bike like that. Baddass 8)
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • itboffin
    Gonna get fit riding a bike like that. Baddass 8)

Fark that it's stays locked outside Waterloo station with a shoe lace feel free to take it coz I sure as hell dont want it, rather walk and do ....