New Bike

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Part 1.

When I can find a crane to lift this lump of Halfords pig iron that passes for a bike out of the box in my garage I'll post some pics.

Ha! in your face IP :lol:
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    This thread is useless with out photos.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    This thread is useless with out photos.
    Worse than useless with
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,677
    itboffin wrote:
    .....I'll post some pics.

Must you? Haven't we suffered enough lately?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    He told me he's got a pair of Zipps on order for it :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • itboffin
    Rolf F wrote:

only if they come in 26" and will take my nobbly wanda kings tyres :roll:

custom made Zipps ...?

for the record it weighs 32lbs :shock:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Wheelspinner
    itboffin wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

custom made Zipps ...?

That may well be a record
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    When's the Canyon arriving?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    When's the Canyon arriving?

Is that to chuck the lump of pig iron into?
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    itboffin wrote:
    Part 1.

When I can find a crane to lift this lump of Halfords pig iron that passes for a bike out of the box in my garage I'll post some pics.

Ha! in your face IP :lol:

Why????
    why have you bought such a monstrosity
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Link to the new Bike, wanna see if its the one that keeps blocking the road on the way into work
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Pot holes in his area are savage enough to tear a wheel from his 7series, so I guess he needed a tougher and heavier vehicle that's up to the task.

Hence he bought that bike.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    What is it? Something from the Halfords Reebok range? A 26" wheeled ride on lawnmower? One of those repulsive things in Halfords that the fragrant Ms Pendleton has prostituted her name (and lifesize cardboard cutout) to?

What
    is
    it?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • itboffin
    Feast your eyes at the majesty that is the Trax TR.1
  • rolf_f
    Not good enough. Any of us with no sense of shame could post a link to that heap and pretend that our recent frontal lobotomy had induced us to buy it. We need pictures of it in your hallway, garage, locked up (if you are extravagent enough to put a lock on it) at your place of work! That is proof.........

Then we'll all come round to yours and beat you up! :lol:
  • itboffin
    Rolf F wrote:
    Not good enough. Any of us with no sense of shame could post a link to that heap and pretend that our recent frontal lobotomy had induced us to buy it. We need pictures of it in your hallway, garage, locked up (if you are extravagent enough to put a lock on it) at your place of work! That is proof.........

You think "that" would be allowed inside the house :shock:

Er we just had new carpets fitting in the whole house and i've noticed the evil looks my Ribble sportive that lives inside is getting :?

God only knows what happens when the new bike arrives .......
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    itboffin wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

custom made Zipps ...?

That may well be a record

na while on the heavy side for a rigid MTB most hardtails under a grand will be over 30lb, mind you flexie brakes and wet roads are probably likely to be fairly terrifying!
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    You're going to ride around in Castelli and Rapha on that? Genius. :lol:
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Rolf F wrote:
    ... locked up (if you are extravagent enough to put a lock on it) at your place of work! That is proof.........

The lock's going to be more attractive to tealeafs than the bike.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    That's a bit like my Raliegh commuter that my dad paid £100 for 12 years ago.

Solid. You forget how not that bad rubbish rigid bikes are. Rubbish bikes with suspension however...
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rolf_f
    prawny wrote:
    Solid. You forget how not that bad rubbish rigid bikes are. Rubbish bikes with suspension however...

I recall someone on the MTB forum doing quite a neat project with an Apollo hardtail. Don't recall how much beyond the frame he used but the result looked decent enough and he reckoned it rode well.
  • prawny
    I'm tempted to franken bike mine and turn it into some kind of weird drop bar CX tourer affair. It's comfy enough and relatively quick, and with new cranks bars stem and seatpost it would be great. It's made it all through the winter (admittedly only doing 20 miles a week) locked to a fence for 11 hours a day. whereas the prolite como's on my Rhigos have given up the ghost completely.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rolf_f
    itboffin wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

You think "that" would be allowed inside the house :shock:

What else? You aren't seriously going to leave it outside are you? One light shower and it'll look like this -

Schrottrad24a.jpg
  • itboffin
    Out of the box
    IMAG0190.jpg
    IMAG0191.jpg

Pre build
    IMAG0192.jpg
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I might get me one!

Been looking for a donor bike for a SS.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • itboffin
    Having just come of the phone to a friend who went all out last weekend for charity I was thinking perhaps given the right motivation I might ride this beast the 16 mile 1000ft+ each way commute ....tomorrow :roll:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    itboffin wrote:
    Having just come of the phone to a friend who went all out last weekend for charity I was thinking perhaps given the right motivation I might ride this beast the 16 mile 1000ft+ each way commute ....tomorrow :roll:
    I'd put a seat on first. Does it have the extra flexy pressed steel V type brakes?
  • Wheelspinner
    You know, apart from the frame, the wheels, the groupset and the colour, that thing is not too bad. For the money.
  • itboffin
    I fitted it all up last night and you're right it's actually not that bad, it's clearly been put together well by someone, the parts however are not long lasting but for £63 who cares.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I hope you turn your fork around. On that class of 'bike', I believe the fork is supposed to curve backwards.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • prawny
    You say the parts arent log lasting but they'll all be made of steel. Keep it lubed and it'll run for years. I severly doubt my dad's bike had had a new chain cassette or cables since it was new in 2000. But it's on its third set of tyres and must have done a few thousand miles.

Is your like mine in that it has a rediculously short quill stem so the steering is horribly twitchy over 15mph ish?
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017