Old school Music Players

Richie63
Richie63 Posts: 2,132
edited May 2012 in The Crudcatcher
Had a moment of clarity and reassembled my sound system from years ago sounds fantastic compared to the ipod machines we use in the house now.
Amp and CD player by CYRUS
P1000623.jpg
Speakers AE1
P1000627.jpg

Could do with sorting out some proper stands for the speakers and the amp etc but apart from that Happy Days.

Any of you still do separates anymore?
I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg

Comments

• Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    I had an alba mini hifi, those were the days of technology, same with tvs, I much prefer a 14inch Bush
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Gazlar wrote:
    I much prefer a 14inch Bush

might as well close this topic as its not going to get any better than that.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    I have a Diamond Rio PMP stashed away somewhere, now this is a mid 90's MP3 player, long before Apple and Creative got in on the game. It connected via the LPT [Printer for you new age "techs"] port and could support a 64MB CF Card, all songs were played back at 128KB/s.. old school indeed
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    EH_Rob wrote:
    Gazlar wrote:

might as well close this topic as its not going to get any better than that.

I'll take that as a compliment
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    EH_Rob wrote:
    Gazlar wrote:

its not going to get any better than that.

thats what my mum said about my cake.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Call that hifi? Should have seen the size of my NADs*!

*3240PE amp running through MS 5.60s** - them things'd project sound when other cones hit their excursion limits, and with the same kind of levels of control you'd associate with a German dominatrix

** ...till some c**t pinched it
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I have a Diamond Rio PMP stashed away somewhere, now this is a mid 90's MP3 player, long before Apple and Creative got in on the game. It connected via the LPT [Printer for you new age "techs"] port and could support a 64MB CF Card, all songs were played back at 128KB/s.. old school indeed
    Old school my arris. You're still talking MP3!
    If you want real oldschool (long before the oldskool spelling), try minidisc :lol:

And er, yeah. Some of us still do separates. Mixture of Pioneer, Lynx, and B&W here. Just found out the other day that my "best mate" recently sold a rather tasty NAD amplifier that had been borrowed.
    Yeah - that's why I just don't like people.
  • Clank
    If you want real oldschool (long before the oldskool spelling), try minidisc :lol:

Still running them in the car!

..seriously.....
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

• Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    It's a good thing this isn't in the road section, they'd have skinned you alive for suggesting CDs were real music!
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Look like a Cyrus 1 amp.

Cheap and nasty compared to the Linn system i used to run. A stylus for the Valhalla is around £200 so it's all in the loft. Still use the Monitor Audio speakers though.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Ghostt wrote:
    It's a good thing this isn't in the road section, they'd have skinned you alive for suggesting CDs were real music!
    Really? :roll:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If it hasn't got valves in it, it's not Hi-Fi.

Though you have to be bearded, wearing a cardigan and slippers to fully appreciate it.

CDs are newfangled spawns of the devil and just gets you into a lather about jitter.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    My dad's just given me his seperates- 80s classics from Rotel and Wharfedale. Had a bit of a nostalgia-fest last night hooking it all up together. Open the CD drawer ... find a disc, any disc. Hear it skip uncontrollably. Etc etc. This stuff was bling 25 years ago and now its in my shed on top of the widescreen CRT TV that has also lost its place to less good but more practical wares.

My dad has replaced this setup with an MP3 player and a dock.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    deadkenny wrote:

Though you have to be bearded, wearing a cardigan and slippers to fully appreciate it.

CDs are newfangled spawns of the devil and just gets you into a lather about jitter.
    I do so love it when people claim that Jitter is something that's an issue with the CD format :lol:

I can't stand the HiFi nonsense that's spouted about. It's basically homeopathy for blokes, isn't it? All nonsense (not-quite-even-)pseudoscience and placebos.
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    I used to have a Tandy 80's special setup, with a Memorex amplifier hooked up to some old Realistic Mach 2's playing from an old pioneer 6 disk autochanger. Crikey that used to shake the walls a bit :lol:
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    deadkenny wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSINO6MKtco
  • Anonymous
    Classic :D. Don't remember that one.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Clank wrote:

*3240PE amp running through MS 5.60s** - them things'd project sound when other cones hit their excursion limits, and with the same kind of levels of control you'd associate with a German dominatrix

call those NADS!

these are NADS

scaled.php?server=849&filename=img3081ig.jpg&res=landing
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    nicklouse wrote:
    Clank wrote:

call those NADS!

these are NADS

They are quite big NADS when seen with the 50" plasma sat on top :D
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,888
    Richie63 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    Clank wrote:

call those NADS!

these are NADS

They are quite big NADS when seen with the 50" plasma sat on top :D

Thought it was a sat nav
  • nicklouse
    No that is a Squeezebox touch music streamer.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Clank
    I am in admiration of your NADs, Sir. I note they have given you wood.

• nicklouse
    Clank wrote:
    now sitting on glass and alloy

scaled.php?server=860&filename=imagexed.jpg&res=landing

the oldies may know what that thing on the top is :D
  • Anonymous
    nicklouse wrote:
    I'll squeeze your box in a minute.

(actually, got a couple of Squeezebox)
  • nicklouse
    deadkenny wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    I'll squeeze your box in a minute.

(actually, got a couple of Squeezebox)

Have a touch a classic and a radio. Before that I started with a Roku.
  • Clank
    nicklouse wrote:

Oh my! 8)

That is a thing of much beauty.

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    nicklouse wrote:
    Clank wrote:

The best way to store and play music back that i know of? but unfortunately requiring a certain amount of space :(
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    nicklouse wrote:
    Clank wrote:

This oldie recognises what's playing... Killing Joke, you are a man of taste
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,367
    nicklouse wrote:
    About 15 years ago in a pub with some young uns discussing music. The Clash were discussed and one of the girls said she liked "Straight to Hell" I told her I had the single and it was a double A side. She was a bit baffled by this, until one of the others said her Dad had some of that "stuff" and you could turn it over. How old did I feel?
  • nicklouse
    Veronese68 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    About 15 years ago in a pub with some young uns discussing music. The Clash were discussed and one of the girls said she liked "Straight to Hell" I told her I had the single and it was a double A side. She was a bit baffled by this, until one of the others said her Dad had some of that "stuff" and you could turn it over. How old did I feel?
    remember when CDs came out and we all put jam and scratched the top surface and they still played!

OK that might have been on TV but :D