Giro Stage 4 TTT *spoiler*

greasedscotsman
greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
edited May 2012 in Pro race
OK, I know it's a bit early, very early in fact. But I'm bored with Stage 3, want to move on!

So, thoughts anyone? Is this going to be like the Tour and Garmin's win? Or maybe someone else? And which of the main GC contenders is going to gain the most or lose the most?

Comments

• LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Ive picked Garmin a few times in PTP and they let me down. Greenedge wont he last PTP TTT offering, I'd back them, especially as all they want is stage wins...
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Garmin and Greenedge probably have the best out and out TTers in their teams, but often you find that teams with big Rouleurs also do very well. I'm tempted by Sky as big guys like Stannard, Flecha and Eisel can do big turns on the front and then you have Thomas and Kennaugh, both Team Pursuit world champions and Cav who always seems to do well in TTTs. The snag could be the two Colombians, Uran and Henao, if they struggle to keep up will the team slow down and sacrifice a TTT stage win to ensure they stay in contention for the GC?

Fascinating, well a little bit at least.

I love the Giro but the mountains seem a very long time away.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    I think BMC are caught between a rock and a hard place on this one, particularly if Phinney hasn't recovered. Do they drop the maglia rosa? Its highly unlikely they'll win the stage or leap-frog their next-best-placed rider (Pinotti) into contention so will they just look to minimise their losses and try not to look like a shower of b@stards for leaving the race leader behind?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Uran won't be a problem. He's a decent TTer with a good turn of pace - as shown by his sprint win earlier this year. He was faster than Kennaugh in the prologue.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • greasedscotsman
    OK, so Garmin/Greenedge for the win. Maybe Sky depending on how they want to ride. But what about the GC guys? Reckon that Lampre/Scarponi might be the big losers and Liquigas/Basso the big winners.
  • greasedscotsman
    And I'd like to have seen how BMC and Phinney would have done without the ankle problems.
  • LeicesterLad
    Garmin and Greenedge probably have the best out and out TTers in their teams, but often you find that teams with big Rouleurs also do very well. I'm tempted by Sky as big guys like Stannard, Flecha and Eisel can do big turns on the front and then you have Thomas and Kennaugh, both Team Pursuit world champions and Cav who always seems to do well in TTTs. The snag could be the two Colombians, Uran and Henao, if they struggle to keep up will the team slow down and sacrifice a TTT stage win to ensure they stay in contention for the GC?

Fascinating, well a little bit at least.

I love the Giro but the mountains seem a very long time away.

i was just thinking this. Dont know how much longer I can take this flat stuff... :(
  • greasedscotsman
    i was just thinking this. Dont know how much longer I can take this flat stuff... :(

Have you not looked at tomorrow's profile? How can you have missed that 1st cat climb right at the end of the stage? Think it could catch a few rider out, looks pretty steep to me!

Some of the above might not be true...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,185
    Sky never seem to perform as well in a TTT as I expect them to. With all the TT quality and the attention to detail in the choice of kit selection and all the work from the track on ensuring the best aero advantages filtering down they should dominate. I would love for them to finish in a position which puts G in the pink jersey as he could hold it for a few days. I've gone for Greenedge on PTP as they were a big surprise at Tirreno. Hopefully Garmin won't figure, their not a squad I like much for some reason I can't even work out myself.
  • LeicesterLad

Have you not looked at tomorrow's profile? How can you have missed that 1st cat climb right at the end of the stage? Think it could catch a few rider out, looks pretty steep to me!

:lol:

TTT up Col d'Eze, now that would be worth watching!
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

Has a race ever had a mountain TTT, or even a very hilly one? I can't remember one, would be good viewing watching teams falling apart on the road.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • greasedscotsman

Col d'Eze? Bah, Stelvio!
  • LeicesterLad

Has a race ever had a mountain TTT, or even a very hilly one? I can't remember one, would be good viewing watching teams falling apart on the road.

I honestly think that would be great viewing!
  • Pross
    Given that the stage is basically downhill all the way will that affect who wins? I'm guessing it's not technical, just a gradual downward slope - I assume there'll be some big gears getting used!!
  • greasedscotsman

Still based on the 5th rider? Yeah, why not! Like to see different things in racing, why not give it a go?
  • greasedscotsman
    Pross wrote:
    Given that the stage is basically downhill all the way will that affect who wins? I'm guessing it's not technical, just a gradual downward slope - I assume there'll be some big gears getting used!!

Is it downhill all the way? Can't see how that's possible if it starts and finishes in the same place.

t04_verona_alt_sopr_600.jpg
  • LeicesterLad

Still based on the 5th rider? Yeah, why not! Like to see different things in racing, why not give it a go?

Yeah based on the 5th rider, watching them all try there hardest to drag eachother up to the top, watching the sprinters capitulate off the back. Would be very tactical aswell, right thats it, i'm writing to some race organisers... :lol:
  • greasedscotsman
    Yeah based on the 5th rider, watching them all try there hardest to drag eachother up to the top, watching the sprinters capitulate off the back. Would be very tactical aswell, right thats it, i'm writing to some race organisers... :lol:

Are the riders allowed to push each other?
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:

Is it downhill all the way? Can't see how that's possible if it starts and finishes in the same place.

t04_verona_alt_sopr_600.jpg

Thought it was point to point for some reason and reading Inner Ring's preview it sounded like it was slightly downhill all the way :oops: That said, the second half looks pretty much downhill all the way.
  • Neil McC
    Neil McC Posts: 625
    Giro d'Italia stage 4 team time trial start order
    Times shown are local time, subtract one hour for UK time

15:25 - Ag2r La Mondiale (France)
    15:28 - Euskaltel-Euskadi (Spain)
    15:31 - Androni Giocattoli (Italy)
    15:34 - Lampre-ISD (Italy)
    15:37 - Lotto-Belisol (Belgium)
    15:40 - Colnago-CSF Inox (Ireland)
    15:43 - FDJ-Big Mat (France)
    15:46 - Farnese Vini (Great Britain)
    15:49 - Katusha (Russia)
    15:52 - Movistar (Spain)
    15:55 - NetApp (Germany)
    15:58 - Rabobank (Netherlands)
    16:01 - Saxo Bank (Denmark)
    16:04 - Liquigas-Cannondale (Italy)
    16:07 - Astana (Kazakhstan)
    16:10 - Omega Pharma-QuickStep (Belgium)
    16:13 - Vacansoleil-DCM (Netherlands)
    16:16 - Team Sky (Great Britain)
    16:19 - Radioshack-Nissan (Luxembourg)
    16:22 - Orica-GreenEdge (Australia)
    16:25 - Garmin-Barracuda (USA)
    16:28 - BMC Racing Team (USA)

Source : http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... order.html
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    The big GC losers will be scaponi, RUJANO GUILLEN and POZZOVIVO. Winners Basso as leaky Gas don't set the world alight but don't lose much. HESJEDAL will see the biggest gains
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    I've always wanted to see a TTT hour attempt, distance converted to time for the standings. Time = 1hr + (distance behind winning team/average speed for your team) . So your time is however long it would have taken you to cover the distance of the winning team, at the speed you averaged.

Quite daft really, but would be worth it to see the commentators struggling with the maths :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    The big GC losers will be scaponi, RUJANO GUILLEN and POZZOVIVO. Winners Basso as leaky Gas don't set the world alight but don't lose much. HESJEDAL will see the biggest gains

Didn't Colnago do well in the TTT in T-A?
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Errm, I know I'm a bit dim, and I am in Australia at the moment but why is there a rest day in a stage race after three days? Then a TTT and then a transfer to Italy???? May be this is me being confused, or may be Giro couldn't organise the proverbial social function on licenced premises?
    The older I get the faster I was
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    The transfer was yesterday hence the rest day after only 3 days racing.
  • greasedscotsman

They aren't allowed to travel on a rest day, it has to be in one location. And I think for a Grand Tour there have to be 2 rest days.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492

They experimented quite a lot with the TTT over the years - cant remember which Tour it was but there was a TTT where the teams raced together to the bottom of a climb then it was literally every man for himself up the climb. Hopefully someone has a better memory than me
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364

They aren't allowed to travel on a rest day, it has to be in one location. And I think for a Grand Tour there have to be 2 rest days.

Which is why they transferred on Monday after the stage and then had a rest day to recover.
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    So excited... Love a good TTT!!!!! Bring on 3pm coverage.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Twenty teams, all alike in dignity (apart from the dodgy ones), In fair Verona, where we lay our scene, compete in a 32km Team Time Trial today in the Giro d'Italia