My Bum.....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
The old Specialized Tri tip saddle has seen better days - any advice on comfy saddles in use daily?

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I had great expectations for this thread
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    evans_litchfield_black_winston_unionjack-bulldog-cushion.jpg
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    Don't buy a Selle Italia C2 Gel Flow Saddle - coating started to flake off after a couple of short rides.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,677
    There are many occasions when the phrase "This thread is useless without pictures!" may be applied.

This is not one of those occasions.

Oh, Fizik Aliante.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    May I.refer you to the "My punani hurts" thread?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    sella-fltgelflw-sadd-blk-side-det.jpg
    Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    specialized BG ones - quite a few variations in geometry and price but mines been good for over 8 years.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Brooks, Charge Spoon
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I use a Charge Spoon on the commuter.

On my racing bike, until last week I had a 143mm Toupe Titanium. It snapped right across the top. Out of warranty and no receipt but Spesh have given me 50% off any new saddle, I think I will go with a Romin this time, they get great reviews. Can't be bothered to get fitted with the Specialized Ass-ometer so going with a 143 again.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I have the Charge Knife which is the roadie version of the Charge Spoon.
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373

On my racing bike, until last week I had a 143mm Toupe Titanium. It snapped right across the top. Out of warranty and no receipt but Spesh have given me 50% off any new saddle, I think I will go with a Romin this time, they get great reviews. Can't be bothered to get fitted with the Specialized Ass-ometer so going with a 143 again.

Odd that I only use toupes on my bikes now since my romin cracked in two and rubbed my whatsits something awful. i got nothing as i had no warranty or receipt, spesh just said it happens to some saddles when they're worn out. it was 2k miles old.

was very comfy while it lasted though.
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231

I love my Romin, but not done any huge miles on it yet. Got London to brighton return next month so I guess time will tell!
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    stonesaddle.jpeg
    MTFU.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    If your arse hurts you're sitting on it wrong...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    I was in the Spesh shop in Kingston and they had some heavily discounted saddles. So, I tried the Ass-o-meter. Very odd, having some bloke ogle your aris while you sit on a pad. Then he looked at the dents left either side of my anal cleft and muttered a bit before telling me I should get a 143mm saddle, or perhaps a 130mm, but probably a 143mm.
    Bought a saddle, haven't fitted it yet.
  • SimonAH
    The Assometer leaves dents either side of your anal cleft? Bloody 'ell, sounds like Big Geordie from D wing....

• gtvlusso
    SimonAH wrote:
    The Assometer leaves dents either side of your anal cleft? Bloody 'ell, sounds like Big Geordie from D wing....

Keyboard owed.....just spat porridge on mine....

:lol::lol::lol:
  • gtvlusso
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    sella-fltgelflw-sadd-blk-side-det.jpg
    Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow

Looks lovely and comfy - but bl**dy hell!!! How much!!!!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    My SLR is comfier than my Flite I think. For either I'd recommend padded shorts. If riding without padded shorts I'd go Old Skool and get a Turbo or a Concor.

I'd look at ebay / second hand as a lot of people buy expensive saddles, don't get on with them and end up selling them on.
  • gtvlusso
    BigMat wrote:
    My SLR is comfier than my Flite I think. For either I'd recommend padded shorts. If riding without padded shorts I'd go Old Skool and get a Turbo or a Concor.

I'd look at ebay / second hand as a lot of people buy expensive saddles, don't get on with them and end up selling them on.

Hmmm - just bid on a Specialized Alias.....The Tri tip is great for short sprints and a forward riding position.....but I am coming up to 40 years old and the ar$e bones just ain't up to it anymore.....
  • Wheelspinner
    gtvlusso wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

Hmmm - just bid on a Specialized Alias.....The Tri tip is great for short sprints and a forward riding position.....but I am coming up to 40 years old and the ar$e bones just ain't up to it anymore.....

I'm with Big Mat here. The SLR is surprisingly comfy in both standard and Kit Carbonio versions, and better than the Flite I found too. I've also got an SLR XP which is really good. I'm currently auditioning a Prologo Scratch Nack which seems ok, but not done enough on it to be sure. I still think the Fizik Aliante is lovely, if a trifle heavy, while the Arione is torture on my butt by comparison. I've also got a new-ish MTB to punt around city streets as my commuter special for the time being which came with a Selle Italia Signo, which is not bad at all. Wanted to try a Thoork but not found one yet going cheap enough to have a go.

As you might surmise... I've tried a few.. and still looking for The Perfect One.
  • gtvlusso
    Anyone using one of these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/selle-italia-c2 ... ddle/#more

My only concern is that it is leather and may not be rain compliant! Any thoughts?
  • Wheelspinner
    Had the regular (non-cutout) version of that and it was... ordinary. A 15 buck bargain bin special which was about its value. No idea what this model would be like by comparison tho'
  • Topaxci
    Topaxci Posts: 106
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Anyone using one of these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/selle-italia-c2 ... ddle/#more

My only concern is that it is leather and may not be rain compliant! Any thoughts?

Got one of these Christmas time, just over 1000 miles on it but no problems so far and I commute in all weathers.
    Though I would say the lettering on the saddle has started to wear off, I think it is just the markings, the leather underneath seems fine.
    Longest ride so far this year was only 65 miles but was comfy enough for me over that distance. Much comfier than my last Selle Italia, but that was 8 years old and worn right through.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Specialized Avatar. "The seat of choice for the wider man...."

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec025562

I've had mine since the commuting season of 08/09 and it just gets more comfortable.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • gtvlusso
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Specialized Avatar. "The seat of choice for the awesome man...."

FTFY.....
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    gtvlusso wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Specialized Avatar. "The seat of choice for the larger man...."

FTFY.....

No, no, DDD quite clearly called you fat.
  • gtvlusso
    Veronese68 wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Specialized Avatar. "The seat of choice for the larger man...."

FTFY.....

No, no, DDD quite clearly called you fat.

I thought he was referencing himself, seeing as he has one of these saddles......but I am prepared to take the insult in a fitting way;

'Sir, I demand satisfaction on the field of honour......'

Lordy....my bum hurts.... :shock:
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    arione on the nice bike
    px rip off on my commute and cx bikes
    a very old and lovely selle italia on my fixie
  • SimonAH
    I don't know if it's just me, but I've always thought that bicycle seats were inherently wrong and pretty much certain to be painful. Let's put it this way - faced with a low handrail and a need to take the weight off your feet do you a) straddle the bar and crush your clockweights like grapes or b) sit on the handrail so that the weight is taken by the meat of your buttocks?

What is needed is a cunning design that lets the love hammer take the strain without placing all your weight on thinly padded sitbones and, let's face it, the tenderest and most precious parts of the anatomy. Bits of me that are intended to be lightly scratched by elegant fingernails in the throes of passion are not ideal to support thirteen and a half stone of wildly bouncing man meat hurtling over potholes and cobbles.

From a first principle design point of view the standard bicycle saddle makes as much sense as developing eye drops designed for application via paintball gun.