Silly Commuter Time trial

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    okgo wrote:
    Maybe, we will see I guess!

I still have you as the man to beat in my head, I see Jim came 2nd one year with a 26.01, I will probably give it a go at some point in the next couple of weeks.

Will take that as a compliment! Best I've managed is 26:27 for 3rd, although for various reasons have never really performed to my best (usually because I have been up all night with kids, arrive late, miss my start time, don't have time to drink anything etc etc). Form has dipped after a 0km long weekend so need to get some hard miles over the next week and a half. Have a couple of days off next week to hopefully get things back on track and will hopefully race at Hog Hill a week tomorrow, not sure I'll make it back to the park though.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Well mainly as you're a known entity :D

That's a fast time, though. Jim was at his peak that year (his words) when he did a 26.01, and he's a strong rider even off his peak as my legs can confirm after riding with him a few times in the last few weeks.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • bigmat
    Well I'm a couple of minutes faster over 3 laps than in years gone by, although I reckon the surface is pretty good at the moment which helps. Names to look out for include Big Tom (something Polish sounding), Steve Irwin (of course), Xavier Disley, Ian Paine, a couple of other Dynamos. All depends who rides the road category - it seemed more competitive than the full on TT category last season and I wasn't getting too much riding in at the time so never really troubled the faster guys. I'll be looking to get back to 2010 form first of all and then hopefully push on from there.
  • okgo
    That bodes well for you!

Yep, recognize all those names from various forums and Strava. Tom W is fecking strong (ex semi pro). I think a lot of them will ride TT though, I know Steve is.

See what happens.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • okgo
    So start times through, you are off last in category Matt, I'm almost off first :D

Scanning the list there are 2 or 3 Wheelers that are VERY quick TT'ers in the road section, so it will be a bit of a ding dong in the road category I think but I know I'm not as quick as those two, so will be interesting to see what happens on the day.
  • bigmat
    Damn you Wheelers! Although I will cling to the hope that it is just their fancy wheels, tri bars and comedy helmets that make them fast...

I have switched my start time to 6:23 as I have a 9.30 race down in Kent to get to. I may be biting off a bit more than I can chew doing both, but have to grab my opportunities where I can...
  • okgo
    Ha, sadly these two are fast road men, and only 1 has a TT bike which he has chosen not to use, the other just bangs out 21 min tens on his roadbike with clip ons and shallow wheels...beast. If he doesn't win I'll be surprised as he is stronger than me for sure.
  • okgo
    Well done Matt. Think that was one of your best times?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Any SCTTs do Windsor tri[du]athlon today?

Speedo gave me 22.9mpg avg over 25.3miles but have to wait on the chip times that don't include a minute or more running around transition.

Managed to catch people 500 places ahead of me and not a single soul passed :twisted:
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Good going okgo!
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • okgo
    Thanks, was a good event, I really enjoyed it, apart from the 5am alarm! At the 9th hour one of the TT favorites announced he was going on a road bike instead, so we thought we were all done for (clubmate came in 2nd just 10 secs behind me), but he was only good for 3rd place in the end.

Think bigmat came 5th, but don't hold me to that.
  • xavierdisley
    xavierdisley Posts: 159
    Good work :)

We had to set a 3:15am alarm and I very nearly fell asleep on the way home! It was about 30sec slower than I normally go on there for similar power output so not a quick day.

Xav
  • iPete
    Times are in:
    42km (26m) in 01:04:25 = 24.3mph

Not bad for someone doing a multi sport event on shallow rims and road geometry ;)

Wish I'd used the Garmin now!
  • okgo
    Not bad Pete, not bad at all. Was it around Dorney Lake?
  • iPete
    okgo wrote:
    Not bad Pete, not bad at all. Was it around Dorney Lake?

If only, was meant to be the Thames but it was not safe and changed to a duathlon [1/42/10km] which is why i managed to place 105/1400 cos I'm a crap swimmer!

Fun mind, was an exercise in overtaking expensive machinery and sperm hats, be interesting to have had all the kit as my bike was only 2 minutes slower than the winner!
  • okgo
    That's good going on your bike mate (with shallow rims etc etc). A good TT rider will be low 50's for 25 mi, so sounds like the swim really effects the speed in which the bike leg is done in?
  • iPete
    well no swim today it was a 1km run instead.. I've gone full geek and loaded the results into a spreadsheet and quickest bike that finished was 01:00:13. It certainly wasn't a flat TT dual carriageway route. Plenty of subtle climbs, roundabouts, wind etc. and a narrow route to transition on the foothpath. So I guess you're only losing 4-5 minutes in tri TT.

Tempted to pick up a wetsuit? :wink:

And my bike time was infact 25th/1389 finishers. Need a Ribble Stealth and a twat hat! :D
  • bigmat
    Ugh, didn't enjoy that one bit! 4.30am start to the day most disagreeable, then went off far too quick after no warm up and really felt the windy conditions. If I did manage 5th I'm amazed - without wanting to come across all Sid the Sexist, I actually got overtaken by one of the ladies on the run up to Kingston gate roundabout which is never a sign that things are going well...

Well done Rob, clocked your time on my way back to the car and thought you'd done a good time and I'd done a terrible time, whereas taking the conditions into account its probably more accurate to say you did a cracking time and I did an OK time. Must do better next month - want a PB if nothing else!
  • okgo
    Well done Matt. Think you got 7th but the first results have been a bit wrong but think you did place there. Yes conditions we're not great. Suppose when you feel like the wind is in your face at least everyone else is dealing with it too.

Shame non of the rest of you commuters could make it, just Matt and Blonde Cyclist I think.
  • bigmat
    Yep, looks like 7th. More annoyed about bodging the sprint at Horsmonden and ending up 11th :(
  • okgo
    Still a good time nonetheless. The reports are a bit error strewn, but it was a really nice event, and on the day was really well done with the electronic timing etc.

It is pushing me to looking at buying a TT bike at some point next year, flicking through the times I'd have come 6th in the TT category with my time, so with deep wheels and a bit of position training (a lot of position training!) and I might be able to do an alright time in a 10.

http://ukcyclesport.com/time-trial/6133 ... ial-1-2012
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    okgo wrote:
    Still a good time nonetheless. The reports are a bit error strewn, but it was a really nice event, and on the day was really well done with the electronic timing etc.

It is pushing me to looking at buying a TT bike at some point next year, flicking through the times I'd have come 6th in the TT category with my time, so with deep wheels and a bit of position training (a lot of position training!) and I might be able to do an alright time in a 10.

http://ukcyclesport.com/time-trial/6133 ... ial-1-2012

V good work, okgo. I think you'd do well on a TT rig with a bit of practice (I like the way you were already wearing a skinsuit and had taped the vents on your helmet for the road bike race!).

You should sign up to next Hemel 10 - the times at the weekend were very fast. Gutchings did a long 18.
  • okgo
    Ah, were you also there yesterday? Thanks.

Yes, marginal gains and all that ;-) I knew Alex would be doing the same (he removed both bottle cages too!) so had to make sure I wasn't riding the donkey whilst everyone else was on a thoroughbred :)

I might go and do a TT this Thursday down on the Odiham course (I forget the code), I think my interests do lie within racing, but no reason someone can't do a bit of both! Works for Wouter Sybrandy and Gutchings well enough!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Skin suit; that explains it. I though KW had a new kit.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • okgo
    Looks to be quite a different field this time.

Will be interesting to see how Elliot Porter does, he's quite nippy, would imagine he will enter the TT category anyway.

Looks like Matt is entered again! Best of luck!
  • bigmat
    I have been on a training regime of eating cake. On PT today and probably tomorrow as I'm on the beers / curry tomorrow night. Hopefully Hog Hill on Thursday night will flush my system and give me half a chance of a respectable time!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
  • okgo
    What is that Rick?

Broken link...

The organizer said the conditions were faster this time round!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    A Fernando Alonso tweet - pic of him on his TT bike in a race. Said he did 28min 43sec for 20.8km.

Fast.