Head of heart? SS content.

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Can't make my mind up on what SS. Wiggle are doing 20% off for the next 24 hours on Cinelli but can't bring myself to pull the trigger.

Criteria:
Steel or Allu - fun to ride and capable of 20 mile commutes and much abuse.
Bull Horns
Black
Flip Flop hub [can live with SS only]
Take Crud Catchers [assume all 23c bikes can]
Circa £700 or less.

Heart says Gazzetta.
First steel bike [high expectations!]
Looks much better IMO
No bottle brazeons [can get adapters]
Looks more aggressive and only SS.

Head says Mystic Rats.
Looks more relaxed
Alu frame - only 8.1kg out of the box.
Too many decals but can be removed.
FG and SS
Looks a bit meh, like a roadie with 1 gear and might ride a bit to much like the Allez.

Does the frame shape really matter, isn't the top tube length not the most important part?

cinelli-gazzetta-2012-med.jpg
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cinelli-gazzetta-2012/
cinelli-mystic-rats-2012-2-med.jpg
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cinelli-mystic-rats-2012/

p.s. No LBS have these in stock and I don't know a thing about different types of steel.

Comments

• BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Steel. Love the way it twists, springs etc. Alu is for abusing, and throwing in the bin.
    If it's your cash, then steel.
    Anything else, I think you may regret it
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    The Gazzetta looks like the easy winner. Then I looked closer and in the pictures it has no rear brake. Is that legal? Damned head making it's opinion known on what was a no brainer.
    Get the Gazzetta.
  • iPete
    Veronese68 wrote:
    The Gazzetta looks like the easy winner. Then I looked closer and in the pictures it has no rear brake. Is that legal? Damned head making it's opinion known on what was a no brainer.
    Get the Gazzetta.

As its SS there are two brakes provided. Think my heart wins, need to push the button... and for anyone voting build my own, I'm incapable as it'll cost more, I always overspec anything I can custom build :lol:
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,677
    I voted Build Your Own because that's half the fun. It will be *yours*, not some OTP fashion statement.

Start with this frame, and get customising. Not sure about the lavender paint scheme though.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/evil-bikes-resident-frame-and-fork-2010/
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • iPete
    Your right and I know it. Hive mind wins. I've just priced the Gazzetta and it wouldn't be much different to put on the parts I want, maybe cheaper. Can see a new saddle and bar end brakes needed already.

Not a fan of the Evil frame though, want something all black that I'll probably throw a few tarty red/pinks bits on. Need to buy a frame soon to get started though or I'll lose momentum and start looking at TT/mtb/road bikes. :lol:

The Gazzetta frame is a winner so far bar the lack of bottle mounts.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    iPete wrote:
    Your right and I know it. Hive mind wins. I've just priced the Gazzetta and it wouldn't be much different to put on the parts I want, maybe cheaper. Can see a new saddle and bar end brakes needed already.

Not a fan of the Evil frame though, want something all black that I'll probably throw a few tarty red/pinks bits on. Need to buy a frame soon to get started though or I'll lose momentum and start looking at TT/mtb/road bikes. :lol:

You'd better trim your toes down a bit as well, that's a very short wheelbase.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,677
    Only thing I'd want to check is the wheels on the Gazzetta... it says "Miche Pista". That means track, which sometimes also means the rims aren't built for braking...
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    Only thing I'd want to check is the wheels on the Gazzetta... it says "Miche Pista". That means track, which sometimes also means the rims aren't built for braking...

Not sure Miche track hubs are durable enough for a 20-mile commute either.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I have Miche hubs on my commuter. Track wheels built by Varno. Not had any issues and I asked when he was building the wheels what he'd recommend for the commute.
    I'd not worry about the rims, can see the braking surface on the pic and the bike looks more like a roadgoing fixie with track stylings than something intended to be on the track. 'tis nice though, I like.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • iPete
    dhope wrote:
    I have Miche hubs on my commuter. Track wheels built by Varno. Not had any issues and I asked when he was building the wheels what he'd recommend for the commute.
    I'd not worry about the rims, can see the braking surface on the pic and the bike looks more like a roadgoing fixie with track stylings than something intended to be on the track. 'tis nice though, I like.

Thanks. Think I'm going to go frame only, have a few more hours to catch the sale price. Then look at some Halo rims.
    Going to look at a black steamroller also, seems more sensible!
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... b&vid=6647

This way I can get the right stem length, brake setup, gearing and most importantly tarty coloured hubs, BB and tape I want.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    edited May 2012
    Build your own.

pro's

You will learn allot and be able to maintain it to a very high level of competence
    You only have you to blame if it breaks
    You get to buy tools
    You get the spec you want
    You get a unique bike that is yours through and through

con's

None!

So, find a good frame and get going!

Frame pointers:

Buy British: 68mm BB with english threads is pretty much guaranteed. Some of the continental brands, particularly French use some very odd sizes and buying BB's can be interesting and in some cases not possible.

Horizontal dropouts if it is a road bike - remember pure track frames have a higher BB by about 0.5" or so and often cannot run any more than a 23c tyre. Track geometry is not comfy for long rides and you may have to drill the brake mountings yourself on a track frame.

Spacing: 120mm at the rear between the dropouts gives you and 42mm chainline - a sugino 103 BB and RD2 chainset make the perfect alignment. If the frame is 126mm - cold set it to 120mm (i.e. bend it!), it is far easier to sort out the driveline then!

Steel vs Alloy - Steel is softer and better on rubbish roads. Alloy is super stiff on the road, still very useable though with some carbon fibre bits to soften the vibes..

[superiority complex]
    I see allot of shop bought fixie/SS bikes around and I feel a little bit superior that my bike is completely unique and built by me!
    [/superiority complex]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    For London commuting; a good steel frame FTW
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    iPete wrote:

Eh? The saddle looks like the best bit...

Not really into the whole FGSS thing, but surely if you wanted to be able to ride SS, then a bike that you can ride SS would be preferable?
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    Personally, I'd get a bike fit sorted and then go to a frame builder who could put together a steel frame to your exact specifications. More expensive, certainly - but it means a bespoke bike that suits your needs perfectly.
  • iPete
    The Surly steamroller has a nose ahead at the minute. Looks more relaxed and weight wise, I think in this price range they are all similar aka heavy! I won't have to faff around with fitting bolt on bottle/pump holders and it has big clearance if i ever want ice spikes come winter. It's also track legal as I'll one day dabble with Herne Hill.

Don't think I've an odd enough body shape to need a custom frame and that'll add up!

gtvlusso, how does this sound: "rear is spaced 120mm" and it has a "68mm wide, threaded English 1.37" x 24t BB"!?
  • gtvlusso
    iPete wrote:
    gtvlusso, how does this sound: "rear is spaced 120mm" and it has a "68mm wide, threaded English 1.37" x 24t BB"!?

It feels like a win to me!!

:-)
  • iPete
    gtvlusso wrote:
    iPete wrote:

It does, thanks loads for the info!! I've also got my eye on the more tarty All city big block now:
    http://www.velodromeshop.net/index.php? ... ct&id=1245

Same steel, also drilled back/front, comes with braze on, track legal and:
    120mm rear spacing, 1 1/8th head tube, English bottom bracket, 27.2 seatpost

Going to have to flip a coin...
  • gtvlusso
    iPete wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    iPete wrote:

It does, thanks loads for the info!! I've also got my eye on the more tarty All city big block now:
    http://www.velodromeshop.net/index.php? ... ct&id=1245

Same steel, also drilled back/front, comes with braze on, track legal and:
    120mm rear spacing, 1 1/8th head tube, English bottom bracket, 27.2 seatpost

Going to have to flip a coin...

In 4130 Cromoly, it won't be the lightest, but it will be damn strong (My Surly 1x1 MTB is 4130 cromoly)! Looks like a very nice frame for a daily bike. The nice thing about having the 1 1/8th steerer is the vast choice of forks. An older frame will be a 1 inch steerer and the choice is a little limited.
  • iPete
    gtvlusso wrote:

Leg.End.

Lucky its my birthday soon, can send some parts off to the family! :lol:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I thought you were supposed to be saving for a deposit to buy a flat? :twisted:
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • iPete

I'm climbing up the walls, been solid saving for 7 months, no clubbing, no drinking, no PT, no gym, noi]less[/i wiggle, home made lunchs etc. means I need some fun!

Thats OK if its n+1 right? :twisted:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    iPete wrote:

I'm climbing up the walls, been solid saving for 7 months, no clubbing, no drinking, no PT, no gym, noi]less[/i wiggle, home made lunchs etc. means I need some fun!

Thats OK if its n+1 right? :twisted:

OK I'll let you off. It's a bit like smoking, you go 7 months without a fag and then smoke 40 Marlboro in 1 night...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • iPete
    Talk about making life difficult. I'd just got really excited about my own build. Going to price it up now and see how it compares. In my head its a predominantly black frame, bull horns, pink bar tape, pink planet x brakes and later on pink hubs to match [/tart].

Recon Condor would swap things around, quite fancy... ah you know what, they are in walking distance... I'll go ask myself! :lol:
  • dhope
    How tall are you Pete? Spotted a Condor that's probably a shade on the large side for me, 58cm.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • iPete
    dhope wrote:
    How tall are you Pete? Spotted a Condor that's probably a shade on the large side for me, 58cm.

5'9, my roadie is 565mm along the top.. looking at 55s..
  • dhope
    iPete wrote:
    dhope wrote:

5'9, my roadie is 565mm along the top.. looking at 55s..
    Ah, yep. I'm 5'10" and thought the same when I saw the 58
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    iPete - if you're heading up to Condor pop your head into London Bike Workshop just next door. They stock the steel Cinelli SS frames in all sorts of colours and they are on offer at the moment. They could build you up a SS at a decent price. like so... http://www.londonbicycleworkshop.com/site/gallery.html
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    You could get a steel, fillet brazed lo-pro, on sale here and get a paint job of your choice for £60:

http://www.14bikeco.com/frames/offers/1 ... white.html