Giro Stage 2 *spoiler*

13»

Comments

• inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    iainf72 wrote:

Crap stage, but we all knew the parcours, what was anyone expecting?

Wind and echelons?

Wind wasn't strong enough and came at the wrong point in the race.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    afx237vi wrote:
    Polish champ crashes, stands around, shrugs, changes his shoes, does a sudoku... Stephen Roche will be fuuuuuurious.

BUD_9538.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Not sure why Phinney couldnt put his own chain on.

And think that is Guardini behind.
    BUD_9537.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    They had unusually low winds. I wouldnt want some top names screwed over this early in the GT.

If you get screwed it's your own fault though. I noticed Pozzovivo was loitering around the back of the pack, which is really amateurish behaviour.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    If someone crashes in front of you and you lose time that isn't good.

If you argue that it's their fault as they should be near the front, then what happens when everyone wants to be near the front to reduce risk of crashing? Pace goes up, jostling goes up, more crashes occur.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    If someone crashes in front of you and you lose time that isn't good.

If you argue that it's their fault as they should be near the front, then what happens when everyone wants to be near the front to reduce risk of crashing? Pace goes up, jostling goes up, more crashes occur.

That's racing. If you want to contend for overall, you need to right near the front.

Otherwise we may as well have 3km long stages for the flat ones. The risk of splits etc is what attempts to keep it interesting
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    That isn't a picture of the Polish champ is it? It's Kristoff the Norweigan champ..... The Polish champ crashed ages before the final corner pile up. Do you actually watch the stages or just attempt to comment after?
  • frenchfighter
    edited May 2012
    What a silly last comment tomtom-logo_tcm166-3340.png

He has a Norway flag quite clearly shown on his jersey, which I can see. It does however tie in with what Afx is suggesting re Roche's comments of riders not getting up fast enough after crashes.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Ah right, silly me :roll:
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    What a silly last comment tomtom-logo_tcm166-3340.png

He has a Norway flag quite clearly shown on his jersey, which I can see. It does however tie in with what Afx is suggesting re Roche's comments of riders not getting up fast enough after crashes.

Not really. Roche complained that riders that crashed deliberately waited around so they could get help from the team car to get back up.

That crash was in the final straight, so all he needed to do was to wheel his bike over the line and get the same time as everyone else.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Cavs looking a bit thinner....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Yeah, my comment about the Polish champ (Marczynski) was because he was doing exactly what Roche was complaining about - standing around and fiddling with his shoes, making zero effort to get back on his bike.

The Norwegian champ was in a different situation.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Wrong stage for that comment of mine.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,185
    Thomas Geraint did a great job of making space for Cav

Yep, he's looking like a very good wing man for Cav. Hopefully it will only be for stages in GTs and big one day races as I'd hate to see him reduced to lead out man. Just needs the rest of the team to pull harder to stop the last couple of kms getting so messy.