New Bike (Updated)

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    Already have the tyres, picked em up last month when they were on offer:

Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX with latex tubes - suspect this will be a summer/good road combo only!

Well, if you're that kind of thing, surely your own private street sweeper to pre-clean the route is the only sensible option.

Normally not a fan of wobbly-shaped carbon, but am forced to admit that that is actually a very nice ride - may you have a long and happy life together.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    I know. Budget would'nt stretch to new wheels as well. Now saving for a set of Enve or Zipp and will purchase later this or early next year depending!

Yep, but I wanted a deeper wheel. These bad boys just turned up at the office!

r7NwB.jpg?1

They feel far lighter than I expected!

Edit - Should I remove the decals? They're just stuck on so I guess it would be easy to do...

"Later this year" = < 4 days?

I like the cut of your jib, young man!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Greg66 wrote:

The threat of "babies" is hanging over my head (in disturbingly damoclean fashion), so I figured all big ticket purchases should be expedited.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Greg66 wrote:

The threat of "babies" is hanging over my head (in disturbingly damoclean fashion), so I figured all big ticket purchases should be expedited.

Good plan getting the treat in before babies - even if you could still afford it, your priorities are bound to change. I did a similar thing, but spent probably a similar amount of cash travelling around the world for a year!

BTW, are the new tyres all black? I'm feeling that frame needs to be dressed in as stealthy kit as possible...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    BigMat wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Good plan getting the treat in before babies - even if you could still afford it, your priorities are bound to change. I did a similar thing, but spent probably a similar amount of cash travelling around the world for a year!

BTW, are the new tyres all black? I'm feeling that frame needs to be dressed in as stealthy kit as possible...

+1 if you think those wheels are difficult to justify now...

Also get plenty of rides in. Pretty as it is, it'd be a shame to have something like that just hanging on the wall
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • il_principe
    BigMat wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

No, they're red/black. In retrospect that might be an error, but the frame has flashes of red on it so...

Bunch of tarts on this forum! :lol: :oops:
  • bigmat
    BigMat wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

No, they're red/black. In retrospect that might be an error, but the frame has flashes of red on it so...

Bunch of tarts on this forum! :lol: :oops:

Normally I would be all in favour of red/black - I'm sure it will look pretty damn awesome whatever colour tyres you have!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Greg66 wrote:

Very wise.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,677
    Edit - Should I remove the decals? They're just stuck on so I guess it would be easy to do...

Yes.

I did, because the graphics just looked too busy. These were only Carbone SL wheels, but looked waaaaay better minus the stickers IMO.

4810454326_65c2561a96_b.jpg
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    No, leave them on IMO, they're the stealth ones anyway, so they're not too loud, and they make the bike look smart. Otherwise it looks like you have stuck some cheap crap ones on
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Greg66 wrote:

Very wise indeed, surely you need an n+1 to go with this bike :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I don't like it.

I'm joking of course. Looks lovely.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    I find deep section rims with the branding peeled off tacky and cheap looking. That or they look like imitation deep section rims, without branding.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    Now with added Zipp:

Side1.jpg
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Sweet baby Moses, that's nice.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Looking even better Zipped up.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    No, they're red/black.
    Your babies will be red/black ? Will they come with light sabres ?

Get a child seat. It gives you the aero benefits of a drafting fairy, but without the worries.
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Bello bellissimo :) Love the understated stealth thing - a nod to Cav, or styling clues from Rev'd G66, perhaps? The best thing about having a reasonably good bike (IME and I am sure the same holds true for a super-bike such as this) is that you can routinely use and directly experience / benefit from the enhancements it offers, compared with say an equivalent "performance" car. Not sure what car would best compare - Bugatti? Maserati? - but whatever, its a brilliant bike and good to see someone doing their bit to keep the economy afloat :idea: Well done that man 8)
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Very nice! If I rode that, I think I'd get asked about loose fillings & replacement bridgework.

How about a 'shop to see what it would look like with the Zipp decals removed?
  • DonDaddyD
    If you take the Zipp decals off and you don't like it then you're stuck with expensive wheels you don't look the like of when they're on your good bike.

We all know you're a tart! Think it through.

I'm pro decal.
    Food Chain number = 4

• bigmat
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    If you take the Zipp decals off and you don't like it then you're stuck with expensive wheels you don't look the like of when they're on your good bike.

We all know you're a tart! Think it through.

I'm pro decal.

I'm with DDD. Nobody needs those wheels, a major part of their appeal must be their bling factor, so why on earth would you want to remove the decals so that they could pass for some carbonzone jobbies? Plus, the decals aren't exactly offensive. Debadge something purely functional, or where you don't want to advertise what it is, or where the decals are nasty, but not in this case.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Keep the decals; if you've got it then flaunt it.

There is a time and a place for stealth and it is most certainly not on an EPS Dogma2.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Asprilla wrote:
    Keep the decals; if you've got it then flaunt it.

There is a time and a place for stealth and it is most certainly not on an EPS Dogma2.
    +1
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Definitely keep the stickers, if you were going to take them off you may as well have bought some cehap ones of ebay. then you may as well have bought a copy frame. Then you could have saved some money and put Veloce on it.

Not normally a huge fan of Pinarellos but I like this one. (now that you've sorted the wheels out anyway ;))
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    +1 for keeping the decals!

If Batman had a bike that would be it.

I'm assuming you ride very, very fast?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Definitely keep the decals. I was in Sigma this morning and had a gawp at the Firecrests. I'd keep the decals.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    cjcp wrote:
    Definitely keep the decals. I was in Sigma this morning

Buying new shoes I hope?
    cjcp wrote:
    I'd keep the decals.

Yep, I think that's the plan now.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    spasypaddy wrote:
    i want new shoes :(

Me too but I just had to fork out for new glasses :( Need to book a fitting appointment at Sigma.

Enquired about getting my Oakleys reglazed and was quoted around £250 which I'm fairly sure is about £50 more than I paid for the frames and lenses in the first place!
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX