How many mm`s in spacers are you running above / below stem

2»

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I can't decide whether Sunderland Supporter is really TheBigBee or EzyRider in a different guise...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    or both! and for good measure he has a new persona TKF
  • BruceG
    Lets have a look at some of your data thenTKF, you have professed to be a gps expert here, that is when you werent "outing" yourself, by advertising that you were fascinated with other riders bare arses through there thinning lycra. Are you sure it isnt you who had a fixation with SS?????
  • TKF
    TKF Posts: 279
    jim453 wrote:
    TKF wrote:
    As it happens I'm normally a fungi. But when you stalk SS on every thread it becomes a comedy cul-de-sac as you and BruceHillyRacerG suck the life out of any possible humour.

So you think SS is trying to be humourous?
    Not really. But then I don't read every thread he posts, waiting to pounce with a put down, so I can't be sure.

This forum is for road beginners and this thread could have been a discussion about spacers. Something that new riders might have found useful.

As others have said there is a separate forum for children to squabble. Personally I just come here for advice and the constant slanging has become extremely tiresome, hence my original comment.

Do feel free to come back with a witty comment. Same goes to Bruce. I can't wait, I really can't. :roll:
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    TKF wrote:
    This forum is for road beginners and this thread could have been a discussion about spacers. Something that new riders might have found useful.

I'll interject here.

Many of SS's threads could be more useful had they not begun by being dismissive and making value judgements on sectors of the community they were wanting to join. You wouldn't do it in the real world because at best you'll get ignored and at worst you may get thumped.

If SS began their threads by explaining their own thinking and asking the same question of others it might lead to informative threads that could help beginners. Coming in thinking they're being funny just gets the backs up of people who could help.
  • BruceG
    TKF wrote:
    jim453 wrote:
    TKF wrote:
    As it happens I'm normally a fungi. But when you stalk SS on every thread it becomes a comedy cul-de-sac as you and BruceHillyRacerG suck the life out of any possible humour.

So you think SS is trying to be humourous?
    Not really. But then I don't read every thread he posts, waiting to pounce with a put down, so I can't be sure.

As others have said there is a separate forum for children to squabble. Personally I just come here for advice and the constant slanging has become extremely tiresome, hence my original comment.

Do feel free to come back with a witty comment. Same goes to Bruce. I can't wait, I really can't. :roll:
    Its not really a case of a witty comment, it is just highlighting how little value SS threads (and now yours) are to a beginner, in fact they could be quite damaging. Seems most have grapsed this except for SS and you, are you the same person using a nom de plume?
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    it was a non sensical question, you could quiet easily have replaced the question with " I ride a 56cm bike - what size bike do you ride?". Nothing of value could be gained from the question or any possible answer, hence the total lack of responses to the actual question.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • TKF
    TKF Posts: 279
    My point isn't to say SS's threads are useful as many clearly aren't. The point is the 1% that might be useful are just hijacked by the usual suspects.

The delicious irony is that when they comment about the inane, unoriginal and banal questions they do so in such an inane, unoriginal and banal way. Alanis must be rolling in her grave.
  • Just catching up on this one, been out cycling all day. The Big Bee, Ezy Ryder and TKF are their own men / women ?and most certainly not me . To get back on the path of pedanticness and nitpicking that has been firmly established, I dont think the original thread question was ridiculous at all. The choice of whether to deploy spacers is purely a personal one for each and every rider and I just wanted a lil bit of insight into the set up of other riders bikes. I wasnt aware that this is a criminal offence here at BR :roll:

Jim and Bruce are two pains in the @rse , the type which are easily found at any internet forum, and could possibly be the same poster using a nom de plume. I post "something" ,jim pounces on it immediately, regardless of content, and bruce consistently aint too far behind him. Jim 453 / Bruce G the same guy .............hmmmmmm :?:
    Unashamed to admit Ive zero time for Tory , Toff, In-bred , ex Public Schoolboys who are flushing our country down the crapper.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    My fingers are in my ears "LA LA LA LA LA.....I cant hear you"
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • BillyMansell
    TKF wrote:
    My point isn't to say SS's threads are useful as many clearly aren't. The point is the 1% that might be useful are just hijacked by the usual suspects.
    :lol: By your own calculations, that's less than two of SS's total post count only might be useful and if you're talking 1% of useful threads then you're into very small fractions. Hardly the most glowing of recommendations.

People are very willing to share their knowledge and experience with beginners but when a thread in the road beginners section by a road beginner begins " I had to laugh at various comments and attitudes that id read online discussing the very same issue" and mocks other cyclists then the thread will get treated with the respect it deserves regardless of who posts it. Add to that a failure to acknowledge the weakness of such an approach then there should be no surprise that such threads deteriorate.
  • BruceG
    The choice of whether to deploy spacers is purely a personal one for each and every rider and I just wanted a lil bit of insight into the set up of other riders bikes. I wasnt aware that this is a criminal offence here at BR :roll:

WHY ??? To what end ??? come on enlighten us all to the wisdom of this thread, becasuse apart from TKF no one else can see the point of it.

And if the above posted by you is true then the comments of it being YET ANOTHER inane and pointless SS thread are entirely founded
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    don't see anything wrong with posting a question - the guy seems to be a hard time over nothing. ANyway I built a bike up over xmas and asked about steerer length prior to cutting and the best reply was use a few spacers and ride a few rides to see which height suits best, so in light of that the question about spacers seems pretty valid.

In fact thinking about it it seems to me that the stem is one of those things that newbies take for granted, theres a kind of assumption that the bike must have been sold to perfectly accommodate their physique - which as we all know isnt the case.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • BruceG
    useful response, much like the rest of your posts, thanks for that additional input.
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    Bruce, do us all a favour and stop acting like a prat. If SS wants to ask a question, he's allowed to isn't he. If you don't like the question then just ignore it, there's no need to get all abusive is there. This is a beginners forum and as such there will be a lot of beginners questions, and don't forget everyone was a beginner once and had loads of questions they wanted answering. This is a real good forum except for a few fools who think its ok to ridicule and abuse people.
  • BruceG
    Read back and see who was abusive, its just a few posts up. Guess you are one of those few fools you refer to! He isnt asking any questions that will be of any use to anyone beginner or otherwise! That is the point. I suggest you look back through his collection of "useful qusetions".

For example in this case, there is no need to ask this question, we are all different sizes and will use different stack heights. Why worry genuine beginners that they may have to adjust this to match others peoples set up. It is the same as asking what height we set our saddles at! Personal and important to us all, but useless to anyone else.

Now if he had asked what was the point of the spacers and there configuration, it could have been explained that they can be used to adjust that dimension to suit the indivudual. Before you say it, no it wasnt an error on his part, he asks all of his "questions", in this manner, and gets abusive as above everytime he doesnt get the response he has already pre conceived in his mind
  • BillyMansell
    houndlegs wrote:
    This is a real good forum except for a few fools who think its ok to ridicule and abuse people.
    I refer you to the OP. In a section for road beginners, if someone begins their threads by mocking or abusing other cyclists and posters then they get the treatment the deserve. As the posting rules state;

Summary: Behave nicely. If doing it in 'the real world' would be frowned upon, don't do it here.

Are there behavioural or developmental problems that make asking a question so difficult? Possibly, but if someone begins by asking a civil question then they'll get civil responses. It really is as simple as that.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522

Jim453 / Bruce G , take your condescending bile and shove it up your backside.

I bet you wouldn't say that to their face/ s :roll:
  • extrusion
    extrusion Posts: 247
    TKF wrote:
    The delicious irony is that when they comment about the inane, unoriginal and banal questions they do so in such an inane, unoriginal and banal way. Alanis must be rolling in her grave.

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm a beginner and wanted to know about spacers but now im scared to ask. :P
  • BillyMansell
    extrusion wrote:
    I'm a beginner and wanted to know about spacers but now im scared to ask.
    Don't worry. As we speak Woody Allen is writing the script for "Every Thing You Always Wanted to Know About Spacers* But Were Afraid to Ask", a laugh-a-minute tale of a road beginner as he struggles to fit in and find happiness with his handlebars.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    This is ace :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • BruceG
    MattC59 wrote:
    This is ace :lol:

For al lhis faults SS is certainly good VFM
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Locked.

A reminder.

This is the beginners forum. Please be tolerant of newbie questions.

Similarly, if you ask a question, take the advice on board in good spirits.

Will sort out other people later.
This discussion has been closed.