How many mm`s in spacers are you running above / below stem

Sunderland Supporter
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Im running 20mm (2x10mm) in spacers below my stem, and I have a 10mm spacer above it. I find it very comfortable and has a "just right" feel to it. I had to laugh at various comments and attitudes that id read online discussing the very same issue. The jist of quite a few riders was along the lines of :

A: I dont know how many spacers to have on my bike at the stem

B: Spacers !! what do you need those for ?

A: To get the best fit for me on my bike

B: Throw spacers in the bin, slam the stem all the way down and ride

A: You have got to be joking, I dont have anything like the flexability to do that

B: Neither do I ,but spacers look SO bad

A: What is the point in riding a bike that is crippling you then ?

B : Who cares, you want to LOOK totally pro dont you

A: Err.......no, I want to fit my bike

B: I can hardly turn my neck , but having no spacers makes me look totally pro to other riders, and thats what counts

I read this attitude in lots of different sources, bit shocking actually :lol: How many mm`s in spacers are you running above / below...................if any ?
Unashamed to admit Ive zero time for Tory , Toff, In-bred , ex Public Schoolboys who are flushing our country down the crapper.

Comments

• bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Is this another one of those questions where you've already decided which answer you prefer?
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Meh. If God wanted you to look good on a bike, he'd have given you the flexibility to ride a bike with no spacers. Like me. THANKS GOD.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Top trolling. Is this about MTB's?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,183
    Are you comfortable? Yes? That's all you need to know.

I had two spacers below when I started out as I was too fat and unfit to have the front end any lower. I've now taken them out and put them above - it's not rocket science.
  • Simmotino
    Simmotino Posts: 295
    Do I have spacers? I don't know. I don't care.

Does it make me look more or less 'pro'? I don't know. I don't care.

I just ride.
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    I read this attitude in lots of different sources, bit shocking actually :lol: How many mm`s in spacers are you running above / below...................if any ?

I'll ad one to your list :

I don't even know if I have spacers on my stem or not.

That probably makes me a bit of a numpty don't it?
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Pross wrote:
    Are you comfortable? Yes? That's all you need to know.

I had two spacers below when I started out as I was too fat and unfit to have the front end any lower. I've now taken them out and put them above - it's not rocket science.
    well said - is bollocks to imply spacers are bad, we are not all built the same, and no two 56 sized frames are the same either. Comfort is everything.

I know several reasons why you would have spacers over the stem, although i prefer my bikes not to have any for aesthetics. But one very good reason is getting your bike fit to your riding position right before you get the hacksaw out prematurely... theres no going back !
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • outcastjack
    outcastjack Posts: 237
    Spacers above stem- 0
    Spacers below stem- 0

Do I look pro?

No
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    http://gerard.cc/2011/09/27/worlds-bar/

Pros get it wrong as well!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    How many mm`s in spacers are you running above / below...................if any ?
    All of them ...

No point me trying to look like a pro ... I'm not one and never will be ....

but at least I don't wear team colours and then walk up hills! :shock: ;)
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    I have 5mm above and below, very aggressive position.

In future if i need to remove the stem for another item i have a bit of play
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    Ive got mine as high as it will go AND raised bars!! Im a freaking hero!!! LOL

Now seriously is there a guide or something as to how you should set the bike out for yourself?? Im building a frame up now and want to know.
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    steelie600 wrote:

Now seriously is there a guide or something as to how you should set the bike out for yourself?? Im building a frame up now and want to know.

Hi Ezy, any pics of the decals yet?
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Im running 20mm (2x10mm) in spacers below my stem, and I have a 10mm spacer above it. I find it very comfortable and has a "just right" feel to it. I had to laugh at various comments and attitudes that id read online discussing the very same issue. The jist of quite a few riders was along the lines of :

A: You have got to be joking, I dont have anything like the flexability to do that

B: I can hardly turn my neck , but having no spacers makes me look totally pro to other riders, and thats what counts

All your posts are really strange.
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    steelie600 wrote:

Hi Ezy, any pics of the decals yet?

think youve got me confused with someone else fella!!
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • kev77 wrote:
    I have 5mm above and below, very aggressive position.

In future if i need to remove the stem for another item i have a bit of play

With that set up, how is the neck Kev ? If I was riding my bike set up like that, Id have to lube ( dry of course, I dont like wet lube....... :lol: )the joints in my neck and shoulders and I wouldnt be able to look up at the sky, :shock:
    Unashamed to admit Ive zero time for Tory , Toff, In-bred , ex Public Schoolboys who are flushing our country down the crapper.
  • jim453
    Maybe the guy has arms/body which are/that is slightly longer in relation to his legs. Maybe he likes his seat low. Who knows? This thread is dumb, even by your high standards Mr Supporter.
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    0 spacers above and 0 below....

I am using a quill stem though :wink:
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Fek sunderland supporter , u should be on question time, you'd stump even a politician with your questions :roll:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    edited May 2012
    jim453 wrote:

Thats a bit of a massive under statement Jim
  • kev77
    jim453 wrote:
    Maybe the guy has arms/body which are/that is slightly longer in relation to his legs. Maybe he likes his seat low. Who knows? This thread is dumb, even by your high standards Mr Supporter.

For a 35 year old, no problem.

I do/did fettle around with the position alot though

It is all personal choice, but just go what with you feel comfortable with, Bike Fit maybe? or watch some online bike fit films to at least get an idea.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I don't even have a stem that's how much of a fekkin hero I am (dumb fekkin thread)
  • TKF
    TKF Posts: 279
    BruceG wrote:
    jim453 wrote:

Thats a bit of a massive under statement Jim
    You are both welcome never to open, read or comment on an SS thread.

Your repetitive banal comments are extremely childish and pointless.
  • jim453
    Hello TKF, thank you for your opinion.

However, by your own argument, you are also welcome never to comment on one of my posts.

Personally, I'd rather if you did because if this post is indicative of future hilarity then you're probably going to be good value.
  • TKF
    TKF Posts: 279
    As it happens I'm normally a fungi. But when you stalk SS on every thread it becomes a comedy cul-de-sac as you and BruceHillyRacerG suck the life out of any possible humour.
  • jim453
    TKF wrote:
    As it happens I'm normally a fungi. But when you stalk SS on every thread it becomes a comedy cul-de-sac as you and BruceHillyRacerG suck the life out of any possible humour.

So you think SS is trying to be humourous?
  • Simmotino
    If you guys (or should that be children?) wanna b*tch and whine, why not take it to Cake Stop where the rest of the cr*p goes?

Some of us are trying to use this place as a resource, not a slagging arena :cry:
  • Simmotino wrote:
    If you guys (or should that be children?) wanna b*tch and whine, why not take it to Cake Stop where the rest of the cr*p goes?

Some of us are trying to use this place as a resource, not a slagging arena :cry:

I know, I know.

A guy cant ask a serious question without 2 scrotums stomping all over the thread Sim.
  • Simmotino
    I know, I know.

A guy cant ask a serious question without 2 scrotums stomping all over the thread Sim.

:roll:
  • kev77
    Oh dear
This discussion has been closed.