Pavement warriors

Boy Lard
Boy Lard Posts: 445
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
My wife was taking my daughter (6 years old) to school this morning and my littlest (2 years old) was walking with them. On a stretch of pavement, which is quite narrow, wife was holding 2 year olds hand, 2 male cycists in their 40s (ish) came up behind her and started ringing their bells. One of them then said, "Excuse me, didn't you hear us, we want to come past."

Now I do quite a bit of cycling, and my wife has started to enjoy some mountain biking as well. She has to listen to me rant about the idiocy I see on the roads from drivers and cyclists and she knows full well that grown men should not be cycling on the pavement, especially on quite suburban streets, (there is very little traffic at all on this stretch of road). She told the two men that if they wanted to go past then they could use the road. They said that they didn't like cycling on the road so could she move. She asked them if they thought it was acceptable to ask her and the 2 children to have to step into the road just so they could get past. They did not reply. She walked the next 2-300 yards with the cyclists still on the pavement riding behind her and the kids (who to be fair, are quite slow). Eventually she crossed over the road and the 2 cyclists carried on on the pavement.

Seriously? Please, if you aren't confident enough to ride on the roads, stay at home, get the bus or walk.

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Dear oh dear. I guess it depends to a degree how wide the pavement was, how polite they were being etc, but I would suggest that if they are that nervous on their bikes then they should just suck it up and pootle along behind your toddler!
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    Good grief, some people need to take a long hard look in the mirror. At the risk of turning this into another RLJ thing, riding on the pavement is illegal. While the police may not apply this to children under the age of, say, 10, if you are a grown up you must not ride on the pavement. No excuse, no "I don't feel comfortable...". Pull yourself together and get off the pavement.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    If I ever skip onto the pavement for a bit, I always ride at walking pace and stay behind peds, I know full well I do not have priority etc. I only tend to ride on the pavement for literally a couple of metres up to some bike racks or a shop or whatever anyway....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    That's out of order. I've had people ringing their bells at me on the pavement and I don't move over. I think they should be on the roads but if they're being considerate and accepting they're second to pedestrians I'm not that fussed. If they think pedestrians need to get out of their way though they're right out of order.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Ohh the poor dears, the big bad road is to scwaaaary for them, did dums. That kind of thing makes my p!ss boil.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I tackled a bloke about this only yesterday. He was coming towards me on a narrow pavement and expected me to step into the road. I wouldn't mind, but he was a grown man, on a hybrid, helmet, sensible clothes, lights and high viz. He said he "didn't feel comfortable" cycling on the road (only a little B road!).

So I told him that he was perfectly equipped to cycle on the road, he could get free training to do it, and as an aside, told him that there was nothing less sexier to a girl than a grown man who wasn't man enough to ride on the road - we just look at them with a kind of "pity" look. And then I walked off.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    To be fair, they rang their bells, stopped, said excuse me and asked to pass. Yes, they should be on the road, but would I want a doddering imbecile on a bike right behing my child?

I think it's quite ignorant of the OPs wife to deliberately block them, especially with a slow moving child. But hey, if it's that important to her to prove a point, maybe she's got nothing better to do.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    msmancunia wrote:
    I tackled a bloke about this only yesterday. He was coming towards me on a narrow pavement and expected me to step into the road. I wouldn't mind, but he was a grown man, on a hybrid, helmet, sensible clothes, lights and high viz. He said he "didn't feel comfortable" cycling on the road (only a little B road!).

So I told him that he was perfectly equipped to cycle on the road, he could get free training to do it, and as an aside, told him that there was nothing less sexier to a girl than a grown man who wasn't man enough to ride on the road - we just look at them with a kind of "pity" look. And then I walked off.

Brilliant riposte as well! Chapeau.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Good old-fashioned stiff-arm tackle is useful in this situation.

But actually it does sound as if these guys were genuinely unaware that they were doing something illegal.
  • Boy Lard
    Monkeypump wrote:
    To be fair, they rang their bells, stopped, said excuse me and asked to pass. Yes, they should be on the road, but would I want a doddering imbecile on a bike right behing my child?

I think it's quite ignorant of the OPs wife to deliberately block them, especially with a slow moving child. But hey, if it's that important to her to prove a point, maybe she's got nothing better to do.

So you think that my wife, a 2 year old child and a 6 year old child should have to step into the road to allow two grown men on bikes to cycle past? Really? The pavement is barely wide enough for 1 adult and 1 child to walk side by side. I am surprised by your comment, I guess I souldn't be any more. If I am walking on a pavement and a woman with 2 children was walking towards me, or I was walking behind them and wanted to get past I would never expect her to have to step into the road. Isn't it just common courtesy?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Monkeypump wrote:

Pfffft.

You've got two kids in tow, one of them probably quite tottery, on a narrow pavement, and you're saying you wouldn't be deeply annoyed at the two twats on bikes? Screw them. Cooperation and give-and-take is fine and dandy, but why the hell should the OP's wife do anything to help the guys that shouldn't be there in the first place?

They should be on the road, like grown-ups. If they can't stomach the road, what on Earth gives them the temerity to ask a pedestrian and their kids to give way?

A public flogging is in order. Followed by stern admonishments to ride on the road and GrowTFU.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Monkeypump wrote:

Erm...how about they go around the OP and his family instead? Oh that's right, I forgot, hybrids are not designed for navigating kerbs as they normally lack front suspension. Silly me!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    msmancunia wrote:

Jesus :shock: Did he just hand you his balls right there and then? :lol::lol::lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Monkeypump wrote:

Sorry but they have no business being on the pavement - if they can't MTFU and ride on the road then they have to put up with going at pedestrian pace.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Monkeypump wrote:

Honestly? Can you look back and see what you've written? Step out into the road with two small children to get out of the way of 2 adults who are too scared to go in the road?

Really?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia wrote:

Jesus :shock: Did he just hand you his balls right there and then? :lol::lol::lol:

What balls?! I wasn't aware he had any...
  • dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    Perhaps the incident took place in Scotland?

In Scotland the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 gives everybody the right to non motorised access to most land in Scotland, including roads, tracks, and paths. So, apart from trampling over gardens or disturbing working farm-yards, you can walk, ride your bike, or ride a horse on any path, road or field margin"

I believe this means that it's perfectly legal, if somewaht un-manly, to ride on a pavement in Scotland.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'm sure it doesn't (the Scottish acces law) apply to riding on a pavement.

As for the OP's story. There's a difference between not moving out of the way and deliberately blocking the way.

That said, it wasn't clear from the OP just how narrow the pavement was, I think those two things are what's causing the split between monkeypump and everyone else.

If it required the OP's wife and children to go into the road to get out of the way then ringing the bells was an idiotic thing to be doing. Clearly it's better for 2 hi viz adults to be in the road than a 2 year old.

Either way they shouldn't have been on the pavement. Can't think why they wouldn't just use the road after Mrs OP refused to move. What's the point of being on a bike if you're having to travel at the walking pace of a 2 year old?!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    msmancunia wrote:

i think i love you

something similar to cyclists on the pavement is people who park car across pavements making people with prams have to walk in roads to get around them

grr!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
    edited May 2012
    I'm afraid I have to side with MP on this one.

Using your kids to make a point like that seems a bit irrational. Why not just let them pass and get on with your day?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    bails87 wrote:
    I'm sure it doesn't (the Scottish acces law) apply to riding on a pavement.
    Correct
    bails87 wrote:
    As for the OP's story. There's a difference between not moving out of the way and deliberately blocking the way.

That said, it wasn't clear from the OP just how narrow the pavement was, I think those two things are what's causing the split between monkeypump and everyone else.
    Ah, maybe that's it - I can just see the OPs wife jumping from side to side to stay in front of them, perhaps throwing the toddler under the wheel of one who was close to getting round her

:roll:
  • Boy Lard
    I'm afraid I have to side with MM on this one.

Using your kids to make a point like that seems a bit irrational. Why not just let them pass and get on with your day?

And once again, let them pass by stepping into the road? There being no other way for them to pass on the narrow footpath. And you think having the children step into the road is safer than making 2 cyclists wait? If the 2 men were walking on the pavement and they asked my wife and children to step into the road because they wanted to come past and they didn't feel that they should have to step into the road would you also find that a reasonable request?

I would always be the one to step off the pavement in this kind of situation, but there again, I still hold doors open for people and I don't assume that I am more important than everyone else, as seems to be the norm these days.

I am certain there was no hint of the children being used to "make a point".
  • msmancunia

Just as easy to say "why not cycle on the road instead?" It's cyclists like that who give the rest of us a bad name IMO.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629

Monkeypump and I are very very very different. I do not agree with his view on the situation at all. A faster adult pedestrian that has the right of way to use the pavement in such an example can be the one to go down onto the road over take and back up - ignoring the fact they were on bikes - you should not ask a person with two young children to either halt [rude] or step into a dangerous situation to proceed [wrong].

They should not have been there fullstop. That they were so rude as to ring their bell is unjustifable, Op's wife n kids were not blocking the way merely continuing safely upon their way and their day - and well done them.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    Agree with Op, occasionally when I leave for work a bit late I'll get stuck behind mams/dads taking kids to school, its a shared cycle/pedestrian path I'll just sit behind patiently and wait - they have right of way and really I should have got out of bed earlier :-)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357

Eh? They were just walking down the pavement. Nobody was 'making a point'.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Today, I have no time or patience for overgrown prats riding on pavements or wishy washy liberals who say step aside. My response would be a big "Fek Off!"
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    bails87 wrote:
    ...it wasn't clear from the OP just how narrow the pavement was...

This.

If the path is that narrow, I wouldn't expect anyone to step into the road to let a cyclist come past.

That said, I still think the OP's wife was a little ignorant. Just let the guys past, and if you must, tell them they should be on the road (which they will, of course, ignore and forget within seconds). I'm sure they'd happily step into the road momentarily to get past (if she stopped and let them) before letting everyone get on with their journey.

I know there are plenty of militant crusaders on here, but in this case I'd just live and let live.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
    Boy Lard wrote:
    If the 2 men were walking on the pavement and they asked my wife and children to step into the road because they wanted to come past and they didn't feel that they should have to step into the road would you also find that a reasonable request?

I would always be the one to step off the pavement in this kind of situation, but there again, I still hold doors open for people and I don't assume that I am more important than everyone else, as seems to be the norm these days.

why?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!