David Millar

13»

Comments

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Yossie wrote:
    @***!!! type swear words in here as in the recent John Terry thread - surprise, surprise.

Because although he's a cheatin' lyin' dopin' slag (who slept with his best friend's wife, which is never really very nice and just a bit, well, icky uurrggghhhh, really), he hasn't done any of these http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/pictur ... me=2203775

Terry is in a different league of scumbags. But that's a different thread.

With a background like this and a potential racism conviction coming up, should Terry be representing his country (let alone his club)? Hmm..... lets discuss that on another thread methinks.

Must run the Terry family. His brother does the same thing, another homewrecking, scum cun7 footballer. Dale Roberts found out the hard way.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    At the end of the day it surprises me that people are happy when a druggie cyclist gets caught and says sorry and then moves on as if nothing happened. Makes everything all right then?

No, and lets not be silly about this!

I suggest you read his book as this is covered in there, he certainly is not better of as a result of doping, in fact he only recently came out of crippling amounts of debt to the French Govt AND tax office as a reuslt of the doping conviction (which he was not caught for, he admitted to having made a (obviously secret) decision to stop doping, coem what may). He has since returned and done his damndest to improve the culture of doping that exists throughout the sport of road cycling. Nothing will ever undo what he did, but being clear about the reason's he did it, explaining who and how helped him and suggested doing it and then working extremely hard to stop it happeneing to another young man is doing as much as is possible.

Some people are caught with minescule amounts of drugs in their system and the decision on guilt or not is never completley clear cut...

Plently of people say sorry/nothing and just quietly return and keep their noses clean, these are worse but they re playing by globally applied the rules of the day... (The BOA were not doing this)

Some deny ever taking anything even though it is obvious that they have and come back showing no remorse whatsoever, these people are even worse and their names are stricken off my mental results list!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    At the end of the day it surprises me that people are happy when a druggie cyclist gets caught and says sorry and then moves on as if nothing happened. Makes everything all right then?

No, and lets not be silly about this!

I suggest you read his book as this is covered in there, he certainly is not better of as a result of doping, in fact he only recently came out of crippling amounts of debt to the French Govt AND tax office as a reuslt of the doping conviction (which he was not caught for, he admitted to having made a (obviously secret) decision to stop doping, coem what may). He has since returned and done his damndest to improve the culture of doping that exists throughout the sport of road cycling. Nothing will ever undo what he did, but being clear about the reason's he did it, explaining who and how helped him and suggested doing it and then working extremely hard to stop it happeneing to another young man is doing as much as is possible.

Some people are caught with minescule amounts of drugs in their system and the decision on guilt or not is never completley clear cut...

Plently of people say sorry/nothing and just quietly return and keep their noses clean, these are worse but they re playing by globally applied the rules of the day... (The BOA were not doing this)

Some deny ever taking anything even though it is obvious that they have and come back showing no remorse whatsoever, these people are even worse and their names are stricken off my mental results list!

Well, yours is a sensible post and I hear what you are saying.

My point was really relating to eg the post before yours. Histrionics re JT but not re cheating cyclists. Bit of a pic'n'mix approach to sounding off about those caught in the media spotlight esp' when they've not actually been convicted of anything.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I wasn't trying to suggest that DM was a single bad apple - from your post I guess you are saying that he is in good company and that the sport is rotten to the core to pick up on your analogy.

I am a Chelsea fan but happen to not think very highly of him (JT) at all.

My point was, still is, that people jumped more readily on JT than DM - but, on reflection, that's fair enough is that's what they feel.

Really, what does anyone expect them to say..."Ooops I'm a cheating *astard and I'll happily give up my lucrative career as penance". Course they don't, off they toddle down the contrition route and sooner or later they are back on the gravy train.

I do not for one minute think that if DM was not caught that he would have given up doping - beggars belief in my mind.

I'm saying we shouldn't be too quick to look at Millar as someone who cheated hundreds of other more honest cyclists, because that isn't the case. Doping was completely endemic in pro cycling in the early noughties, it had been for decades, be it EPO/Blood Doping/Amphetemines. Few got caught, DM was one of the unlucky ones. Post ban, he genuinely seems to have taken it upon himself to try and make the sport a better one. IMO, this is far more welcome then a Valverde type of character, or Ricco, or perhaps Basso, cyclists who do their ban, and really do act as if nothing happened...
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live