This London Mayor business...

1235»

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    rjsterry wrote:
    In fact, the more I think about it, the less these elections tell us about anything. Depressing that even in times when you think people might have something to motivate them to vote, if only in protest, and at a time when elsewhere in the world people are fighting for that right, and paying with their lives, that they still can't be ar$ed. 32% was it? So more than 2/3 of people couldn't give a f***.
    I think it's more a sign that there is no viable option for most.

Simply can't vote for Tories but can't bring yourself to vote Labour and visa versa - so you simply don't vote.

Lib Dems, Geens, UKIP and BNP are not viable options.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    In fact, the more I think about it, the less these elections tell us about anything. Depressing that even in times when you think people might have something to motivate them to vote, if only in protest, and at a time when elsewhere in the world people are fighting for that right, and paying with their lives, that they still can't be ar$ed. 32% was it? So more than 2/3 of people couldn't give a f***.

Simply can't vote for Tories but can't bring yourself to vote Labour and visa versa - so you simply don't vote.

So what political system would you like?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    rjsterry wrote:
    Depressing that even in times when you think people might have something to motivate them to vote, if only in protest, and at a time when elsewhere in the world people are fighting for that right, and paying with their lives, that they still can't be ar$ed. 32% was it? So more than 2/3 of people couldn't give a f***.
    I completely agree with you. My wife had a 40% turn out at her polling station, apparently they usually get a higher than normal turn out. When I went to vote they said it had been really quiet. How many of the oiks that were disgruntled enough to riot bothered to vote? Impossible to get a figure but that would be interesting.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Well at least one of those is partly running the country, so how are they not viable options? The Greens are certainly viable at local level, and even UKIP if you swing that way. BNP just seem more interested in a punch up. We can't all have a personally tailored political party that exactly matches our views: we have to pick the best fit.

Some good news at least

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/may/04/local-elections-2012-localgovernment#block-51
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    @13:30ish.
    Councils

Con: 35 (down 12)
    Lab: 61 (up 27)
    Lib Dem: 5 (down 1)
    No overall control: 28 (down 11)
    Other: 1 (down 3)

Councillors

Con: 741 (down 347)
    Lab: 1,405 (up 603)
    Lib Dem: 285 (down 178)
    Other: 420 (down 107)

The BBC says the results are equivalent to Labour having 38% of the national vote, with the Conservatives on 31% and the Lib Dems on 16%. If these figures were replicated at a general election Labour would win with a majority of around 86.
  • rjsterry
    The BBC says the results are equivalent to Labour having 38% of the national vote, with the Conservatives on 31% and the Lib Dems on 16%. If these figures were replicated at a general election Labour would win with a majority of around 86.

That's just bobbins though. Huge chunks of the country weren't voting. Extrapolating a GE result from these results is so unreliable as to be useless.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:

That's just bobbins though. Huge chunks of the country weren't voting. Extrapolating a GE result from these results is so unreliable as to be useless.

It's more to give the numbers a bit of context and feel.

You know what they mean :P
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:

It's more to give the numbers a bit of context and feel.

You know what they mean :P

But it's not really context if it's meaningless is it? I may have a right cob on today. While the parties like to make out that they are in control of all of this under one national strategy, the different council elections are really almost completely independent of one another. And even if all the councils swung to Labour, they would still be operating under a Lib Dem/Conservative central government. It gives a flavour of public opinion, and that's about as far as it goes.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I just can't see Labour winning the next election.

The Tories have been really poor, but by holding back on most of the cuts (which both parties proposed) they'll keep enough people onside for the election.

If the worst they're perceived to have done is a pasty tax and freeze in pensioner tax free allowance, they must be feeling fairly lucky.

Around then, the next economic crisis will probably hit and the cuts will be forced by the 'evil' IMF or ECB or whoever we have to borrow from by then.
    exercise.png
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    I wrote:
    BO-JO, BO-JO,
    BO-JO, BO-JO,
    BO-JO, BO-JO,
    BO-JO, BO-JO...

That's "Vote for Boris Johnson", just in case you were wondering.

HA!

Just so we're clear: everyone who wanted Ken to win - you lost.

One more time.

HA!

I, on the other hand, backed the winning candidate.

So, form an orderly line, and start congratulating me. 'Cos my guy won. That's how it works: my guy wins, and I get congratulated.

Don't push to get to the front please. I have enough time to receive everyone.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Turnout has been shockingly low. We need a system that penalises non voters.

No benefits for a month or a £200 fine should do it.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208

No, it's bad, but low turnout is a message to politicos too, if you forced people to vote you'd get strange results that I reckon wouldn't necessarily reflect the desires of all, unless you give people the "none of the above" option, but then, if you give people that, just let them not bother to vote.

Boris Johnson winning this is a real blow to cycling in the capital.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660

No, what we need is a system that recognises an awful lot of people don't sufficiently like or want any of the candidates /parties / policies on offer and should be allowed to register a positive 'none of the above' vote which forces either a change in candidates or continuing votes until one candidate changes their policies sufficiently to attract enough votes to beat NOTA. At the moment people can only either spoil their ballot & be easily written off as cranks & idiots or be castigated & threatened with financial penalties for refusing Hobsons choice.

It'll never happened tho, as NOTA would win by a landslide in many many places and force politicos to listen to the proles and attend more to local issues & concerns, rather than be confident enough witless partisan drones will wheel out on demand every time to either deliver the customary mid term knuckle rap to the Westminster incumbents or vote for the right coloured rosette which may as well be stuck in a dog turd for all the difference the actual candidate makes in 90% of the country.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Greg66 wrote:
    I wrote:
    BO-JO, BO-JO,
    BO-JO, BO-JO,
    BO-JO, BO-JO,
    BO-JO, BO-JO...

HA!

One more time.

HA!

So, form an orderly line, and start congratulating me. 'Cos my guy won. That's how it works: my guy wins, and I get congratulated.

You seem very happy, but you also seem to be taking credit for something you had very little in making happen (assuming you placed your 'X' in Boris' box). It's a bit like me claiming credit for Arsenal's win because I bought a replica top (thereby putting money in the club's coffers).
    Anyway, enjoy your, sorry, Boris' victory.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Greg66 wrote:
    I wrote:
    BO-JO, BO-JO,
    BO-JO, BO-JO,
    BO-JO, BO-JO,
    BO-JO, BO-JO...

HA!

One more time.

HA!

QFT for when even more dangerous [to cyclists] junctions in London are ignored.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rjsterry
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    I wrote:
    BO-JO, BO-JO,
    BO-JO, BO-JO,
    BO-JO, BO-JO,
    BO-JO, BO-JO...

HA!

One more time.

HA!

You seem very happy, but you also seem to be taking credit for something you had very little in making happen (assuming you placed your 'X' in Boris' box). It's a bit like me claiming credit for Arsenal's win because I bought a replica top (thereby putting money in the club's coffers).
    Anyway, enjoy your, sorry, Boris' victory.

No! Don't you realise? It was Greg wot won it!

Mind you with the dismal turnout, maybe his vote was the small margin Boris won by. The fact that the London Assembly vote has more closely matched the national vote - Labour 12 seats, Conservative 9, Lib Dem 2, Green 2 -shows how much it was about personalities than policies for the top job.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    No, it was my family's votes that won it cos we reckon they were in the 2 Harrow boxes that got lost and may (alledgedly) have helped swing it :)
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    I think the fact that Siobhan Benita did so well illustrates how hacked off people are with politics. She did really well for an independent given she's not famous, had no gimmick, and it was a personality contest. We're people forced to vote, which I don't agree with, I think she could have done better. Unfortunately I think UKIP and the Nazi party would also pick up protest votes were that the case.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,105
    Let's see:
    Boris Wins
    Ken loses and retires
    Lib Dems get beaten into 4th behind the greens.

I'm struggling to see any bad news in this ;-)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    I wrote:
    BO-JO, BO-JO,
    BO-JO, BO-JO,
    BO-JO, BO-JO,
    BO-JO, BO-JO...

HA!

One more time.

HA!

QFT for when even more dangerous [to cyclists] junctions in London are ignored.

Here's the thing though, the number killed has a very slight downward trend over the last decade.

Serious show a fair old dip in the middle of the decade, but seem to keep a average.

Slight seems to show a upward trend.

All have year on year fair old fluctuations.

add in the huge growth of cyclist over the decade.

frankly Ken = Good Boris = Bad does not seem to born out, at least in the sats unless you use year on year where you can make either look very good or bad, depending on the year, for example 2003 = 21 deaths, 2004 is 8 2005 is 21.