This London Mayor business...

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Who should I vote for? I'm decidedly apathetic about the whole thing having experienced London with both Ken and Boris in charge and not really noticing any difference. I've been getting these Londoners on Bikes emails and they are pushing for Jenny Whatsit from the Greens as first vote and Ken as second, but is this really a worthwhile vote? Let's face it, she's not going to get in. If Boris is the anti-Christ for cyclists, as they seem to be suggesting, then shouldn't we make Ken our first choice? Londoners on Bikes couldn't be affiliated to the Greens could it?

Anyway, I've no idea which way to vote so do please feel free to persuade me one way or the other.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Who should I vote for? I'm decidedly apathetic about the whole thing having experienced London with both Ken and Boris in charge and not really noticing any difference. I've been getting these Londoners on Bikes emails and they are pushing for Jenny Whatsit from the Greens as first vote and Ken as second, but is this really a worthwhile vote? Let's face it, she's not going to get in. If Boris is the anti-Christ for cyclists, as they seem to be suggesting, then shouldn't we make Ken our first choice? Londoners on Bikes couldn't be affiliated to the Greens could it?

Anyway, I've no idea which way to vote so do please feel free to persuade me one way or the other.

Try this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/dave ... sfeed=true

Answer 10 questions - the format is which policy do you agree with the most - and they'll give you a breakdown of your answers.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    edited May 2012
    I commute from too far out of London to vote but given that I doubt Jenny could win, I'd vote Ken seeing as he'd appoint Jenny as his Transport thingamabobwhatsit but I've not read enough about any of them to make an informed vote..
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    It's a guardian link, doesn't that mean it defaults Left?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
    Don't live in London so don't have a vote.

Are you not a bit embarassed that one of these men will be so prominent on the world stage during London 2012.

Is this the best you have?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey

*shrugs* try it.

It just takes each candidate's policy on 10 issues, puts them randomly and anonymously in a grid. You pick which one of the 4 you agree with the most for each issue, and it adds how many policies from each candidate you picked at the end.

By definition, if you class Jenny Jones, Ken, and Paddick as lefties, and only Boris as right, then you're right - all other things being equal 3/4 times you'll be picking lefties - but that's the same of the election too, right?
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172

Answer 10 questions - the format is which policy do you agree with the most - and they'll give you a breakdown of your answers.

I had a go at that. I was shocked and dismayed to find that I was only 60% Boris. 0% Ken was a result and a half though.

@ JT: choose a candidate that you like across all issues, not just one issue.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134

Are you not a bit embarassed that one of these men will be so prominent on the world stage during London 2012.

I can't recall off the top of my head whether you're Scottish or Northern Irish, but... Alex Salmond / Martin McGuinness?
  • edds
    edds Posts: 156
    iPete wrote:
    I commute from too far out of London to vote but given that I doubt Jenny could win, I'd vote Ken seeing as he'd appoint Jenny as his Transport thingamabobwhatsit but I've not read enough about any of them to make an informed vote..

Thats the joy of having a second vote. Even if you doubt she could win it you can still give her your first vote and Ken as your second. She either pulls a surprise out the bag or your vote just goes to Ken anyway.
    edd
    --
    FCN 4-5; Giant SRC 3; formally known as edduddiee
  • rick_chasey
    BigMat wrote:

I can't recall off the top of my head whether you're Scottish or Northern Irish, but... Alex Salmond / Martin McGuinness?

Pretty sure Alex Salmond is widely considered to be a phenomenal politician.

How he manages to keep the SNP pulling in the same direction is barely short of a miracle.
  • bigmat
    BigMat wrote:

How he manages to keep the SNP pulling in the same direction is barely short of a miracle.

Yeah, maybe a bit harsh on Salmond. I'm probably predisposed to be anti his PoV so he tends to come across badly to me. I think TWH is Northern Irish though, so my point stands - we all get politicians we struggle to be proud of. Ken v Boris was dreadful last time round and doubly depressing now, but I still sense Ken is the best overall option. Would try the Guardian thing but can't get it to work :(
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    edds wrote:
    iPete wrote:

Thats the joy of having a second vote. Even if you doubt she could win it you can still give her your first vote and Ken as your second. She either pulls a surprise out the bag or your vote just goes to Ken anyway.

Nice :idea:

Well according to the guardian I couldn't be more undecided if I tried :lol:
    30% Brian Paddick
    30% Jenny Jones
    20% Boris Johnson
    20% Ken Livingstone
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426

*shrugs* try it.

It just takes each candidate's policy on 10 issues, puts them randomly and anonymously in a grid. You pick which one of the 4 you agree with the most for each issue, and it adds how many policies from each candidate you picked at the end.

By definition, if you class Jenny Jones, Ken, and Paddick as lefties, and only Boris as right, then you're right - all other things being equal 3/4 times you'll be picking lefties - but that's the same of the election too, right?

I tried. It didn't load. Therefore I can assume politics is inherently broken.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756

60% Jenny Jones
    20% Ken Livingstone
    10% Boris Johnson
    10% Brian Paddick

Hmmmmmmm
  • rick_chasey
    I was 40% Paddick, 30% Ken, 20% Jones, 10% Boris.

Of course, at this point they should ask you which 3 issues of the 10 you consider more important, and ask whether you want to weight those 3 double or triple.
  • bigmat
    OK, so:

40% Paddick
    30% Jones
    20% Livingstone
    10% Johnson

Interesting. I must say, for a lot of the questions there was no obvious choice, just seemed like a range of options to deal with a problem which without considering in context any one of which could be good / bad / indifferent. Like, how do we deal with pollution? Seemed to be a few reasonable options, but difficult to say whether we should go for electric buses without knowing how practical that is etc. Still, Boris came last so it must be reasonably accurate!

For the cycling question, whose policy is option C? As its clearly the best one!
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    50% Brian, 30% Jenny.

Not what I was expecting and it may have influenced my vote!
  • rick_chasey
    notsoblue wrote:

60% Jenny Jones
    20% Ken Livingstone
    10% Boris Johnson
    10% Brian Paddick

Hmmmmmmm

Hippy.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    I thought Labour were trying to say that the choice was between Boris and - umm - Labour.

So, Hold your nose.
    He's got a beautiful dog.
    I'm sure his tax returns will be out soon.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Brian Paddick thinks Cavendish will win the Tour de France*

*according to Cycling Weekly the other week
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
    BigMat wrote:

While his background is always 'suspect' and he bears more than a passing resemblance to Art Garfunkel, Martin McGuinness is a very highly regarded political strategist bringing Sinn Fein from nowhere to being close to the number one party in the NI assembly, was instrumental in ending a 600 year old conflict and is regarded as having a similar ability to 'work a room' as Bill Clinton*

* insert your own jokes
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jonny_trousers

Cheers!

40% Paddick
    30% Ken Livingstone
    20% Jenny Jones
    10% Boris J

So, who should I vote for? :wink:
  • rick_chasey

Cheers!

40% Paddick
    30% Ken Livingstone
    20% Jenny Jones
    10% Boris J

So, who should I vote for? :wink:

Same breakdown as me.

I'm voting:
    #1: Paddick
    #2: Ken.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    Agree that some of the questions are a bit "what's your favourite colour", with all answers looking like reasonable suggestions, but not clearly differentiated. Found myself playing spot the policy.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:
    Agree that some of the questions are a bit "what's your favourite colour", with all answers looking like reasonable suggestions, but not clearly differentiated. Found myself playing spot the policy.

Indeed. Shows how little is in the policy though. The policies I recognised were lifted straight from the official literature.

I also like to think it shoes more often than not Lib Dem policy, taken on its own is often pretty good. But then I would say that, so feel free to ignore ;).
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    Happy with this....

Your mayor is...

50% Jenny Jones
    30% Ken Livingstone
    20% Brian Paddick
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • jonny_trousers
    I also like to think it shoes more often than not Lib Dem policy, taken on its own is often pretty good. But then I would say that, so feel free to ignore ;).

Yeah, I've always thought that about the Lib-Dems, but, with the current voting system, I can't see them ever being in a position of useful governance. I'll probably keep putting my little X in their boxes and sighing as I step away for some years to come, however.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Let's face it, she's not going to get in. If Boris is the anti-Christ for cyclists, as they seem to be suggesting, then shouldn't we make Ken our first choice? Londoners on Bikes couldn't be affiliated to the Greens could it?

Just because a candidate is not going to win does not mean you shouldn't vote for them, you should vote for whoever you feel best voting for. A vote is never a wasted vote, other candidates will look at the votes made other their competitors and if support for a given competitor is strong in one area that will influence the winners policies.

Anyway, Jenny first, Ken second, no cyclist should be voting for Boris Johnson IMO, he's the worst thing to happen to cycling in I don't know how long (if anything good ever happened for us).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... lobby.html
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    rjsterry wrote:

Indeed. Shows how little is in the policy though. The policies I recognised were lifted straight from the official literature.

Well, a four line summary of the policy anyway. For example the one on policing was effectively "Do you want to see more police, more police, more police, or more police" The subtleties of Safer Neighbourhood Teams, Special Constables and so on are impossible to deduce from those statements. It's inevitable that mainstream political parties are various flavours of centrist, and therefor have very similar policies, but it would be nice if there was a bit less trying to be all things to all people.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660

Yeah, I've always thought that about the Lib-Dems, but, with the current voting system, I can't see them ever being in a position of useful governance. I'll probably keep putting my little X in their boxes and sighing as I step away for some years to come, however.

Isn't it more that the Lib Dem policy can afford to look good on its own because there's never a hope in hell of them ever having to implement it. They could be the party of free Blowjobs and a Ferrari for everyone and they wouldn't have to make good on the deal. Even the talk of them being the moderation of the Tories currently, hmmmm, not seeing much of it in truly liberal/soft left terms TBH.

the main pair have to at least make a nod towards what they will be measured against when the pass the country between themselves - albeit they either take credit for the work started by the other side (Major did a hell of a lot of groundwork for Blair) or wriggle out of pretty much everything with the 'would you look at what we got left with' spiel (a-la the current mantra)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'm torn. Can't vote for Ken though as his fare cuts promise is just ludicrous. Love or loathe our PT, it needs investment, taking money out of TFL to pay for fare cuts is only going to cause pain in the long-term. Channel 4's Fact Check blog looked into this a while back and their conclusion was damming: http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/can-ken-livingstone-deliver-a-fare-deal-for-london Basically Ken is just saying this as a shameless vote winner, it suggests to me that he only cares about winning 4 years of power, and doesn't give a damn about the long-term.

On the whole, I'd rather have a Mayor who stands a chance of winning concessions from the Government than one who'll simply antagonise them. Ken's cosying up to dictators, anti-semitic rantings and penchant for cronyism and wastage doesn't really appeal.