Recommend me a chain device, must be BB mount only

DodgeT
DodgeT Posts: 2,255
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Tried to fit a chain device to my carbon 456, 73mm BB, SLX BB and cranks. Due to the one I had being ISCG needing a BB adaptor plate, it just wont fit as the cranks foul the device.

So I need a dedicated BB mount device which will hopefully work and clear the cranks. Any of you guys with similar set-up recommend anything? Been looking at MRP G2 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=61120 and Lopes http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=61121but they are blooming pricey.

Would I be OK going for something like a blackspire stinger http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=54362for the lower, mounting off BB, then maybe a superstar chainkeeper http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=495 for the top??

Ideas please guys :)

Just seen this, kind of like the bionicon thing http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10137

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    the stingers are good quality for the money..

i got one for the chromag when i upgraded my drive train, (iscg05 one) no matter what i did i could not get it to work same issues as you... the granny ring would rub on the base plate well screw head..
    i put it down to the fact i was using a converted hope bb on my truvativ noir crank.. as there were discrepancies with the instructions for the crank and hope bb..
    sram say no spacer required for a 73mm shell but hope say one drive side spacer for the 73mm shell.. i did email hope and ask them and they advised me to use the spacer...
    but i could not figure out how to get the stinger to work so did'nt fit it....
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    delcol wrote:
    the stingers are good quality for the money..
    Yep indeed. Does the job fantastically.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got a 456C, SLX cranks and Blackspire Stinger. No 'fouling' here.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • DodgeT
    Cheers for the replies. Need to check when home later as I may have been a right muppet. After finding some similar threads on MTBR ST etc, think I may have had the adaptor plate the wrong way round, ie spacing the device out from the BB instead of in...
    Will report back later if i'm a knob :0

Yes yes, I know I am anyway , I mean specifically in relation to this problem :)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    DodgeT wrote:
    Cheers for the replies. Need to check when home later as I may have been a right muppet. After finding some similar threads on MTBR ST etc, think I may have had the adaptor plate the wrong way round, ie spacing the device out from the BB instead of in...

Yes yes, I know I am anyway , I mean specifically in relation to this problem :)
    I hadn't even noticed you had an isue - after re-reading several times, I eventually spotted that you had a ISCG device, with an adapter.
    Topic title doesn;t really suggest this, just that you're after a BB mount chain device.
  • bails87
    DodgeT wrote:

I had wondered about this tbh, seeing as it's a perfectly normal setup that wasn't working.
    MTB/CX

• DodgeT
    Yeah, sorry, I'd got a thread going in workshop at the weekend saying I couldnt get my current one to fit. It is an ISCG with BB adaptor, so I thought that the adaptor was the issue.

I thought I had replied with my comments to the workshop thread, not the buying advice one I had created when I thought I needed a new one. Not having a good day, think I need to go back to sleep......... :)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    DodgeT wrote:
    Yeah, sorry, I'd got a thread going in workshop at the weekend saying I couldnt get my current one to fit. It is an ISCG with BB adaptor, so I thought that the adaptor was the issue.

I thought I had replied with my comments to the workshop thread, not the buying advice one I had created when I thought I needed a new one. Not having a good day, think I need to go back to sleep......... :)
    It's ok, I wasn't paying enough attention to notice either. So at least there's two of us that need more sleep :lol:
  • DodgeT
    Ok then, stripped her down, turn the adaptor plate the other way round, more chance of me appearing in the redhead of the day thread than the current device fitting.

So, search is back on. I'd ideally like the mini g2, as it has lower and upper guide and taco bash, but don't know whether the darn thing will fit.
    Might have to buy one, and be careful with it so I can return it if need be.
  • DodgeT
    Bails, any issues with losing the chain with the stinger?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I've used a stinger for quite some time, and I've never lost the chain with it.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I had a stinger for two years and never dropped the chain once. I know it must of been doing its job well because when i went back to triple rings it dropped the chain fairly regularly till i fitted a chainstay mounted device.
  • DodgeT
    Cheers yeehaa n bennett, and lastly, I assume your both single ringers?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    DodgeT wrote:
    Bit of a personal question, don't you think? :lol:

Ahem, I have two rings. A granny and a "middle".
    I mean, I don't have a big ring. Ooo-er.
  • bennett_346
    I was using mine double and bash but i don't presume it would be very different to single ring at all in terms of performance if thats what you're getting at.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT wrote:
    Bit of a personal question, don't you think? :lol:

Ahem, I have two rings. A granny and a "middle".
    I mean, I don't have a big ring. Ooo-er.

They're the best type of question I find :wink:
    I was using mine double and bash but i don't presume it would be very different to single ring at all in terms of performance if thats what you're getting at.

It's just when you read the blurb for the blackspire ;

"Converts to Single-ring chainguide with Blackspire Blackguard inner plate " and that looks nasty http://www.blackspire.com/qs/product/83/5946/263245/0/0 not to mention I don't think for one minute that it would fit. The 35t chainring only just clears the stay now, so this on the inside will never work. Plus it looks nasty. (I know I said that twice, its just so nasty.)

Wonder if anyone actually uses the blackguard as I don't recall seeing them on any bikes..
  • bennett_346
    Not many people choose a stinger for single ring setup is maybe why. 73mm BB shells are a pain in the backside with regards to chain retention devices, so i gave up and made my own lol.

I don't think you'd need to put that horrid Blackguard plate thing in if you used the stinger in combo with a bashguard on the ring and that superstar top guide you linked? Would be similar to using the stinger as two rings with the derailer to keep it lined up, just without a granny ring there, i'd *think*.

Chainline stuff is a mystery to me.
  • DodgeT
    Yeah, I don't want a bash on the ring (ooh err) though.
    As said earlier, think will just have to bite the bullet and buy a g2 or similar and if it don't fit, send it back. With the last lot of CRC stuff I got, noticed they do free return shipping now, so nothing to lose. As long as I don't scratch it..
  • bennett_346
    I'm not entirely certain that a bash is even needed
  • bails87
    I haven't got a bash on mine, the chain used to overshift a lot, but now I've got a double specific front mech it's a lot better. The shorter cage allows me to put it low enough to stop the chain escaping, the big chainstays on the 456C stopped me doing this with the bigger cage of the triple mech.

The chain has escaped from the stinger, ended up running underneath the roller, a few times. It's obvious because there's suddenly loads of chain noise, so it must be working when it's in the correct position.
    MTB/CX

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    something like a superstar top guide is more than enough on a hardtail tbh, a stingers main function is as a tensioner, not a guide, so its not completely faultless, a simple top-only guide like the superstar and e-13 xcx are what I would pick personally on a hardtail, as I have on the maxlight. not dropped the chain once and its been hammered down some pretty rough stuff.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    It is. Sheepsteeth had a twin + stinger setup, and he was losing the chain on occasion.

For a solid single ring setup, you'd need a chainguide of some sort at the top as well (us twin ringers have a front mech) or else you're just relying on luck and goodwill from the chain fairies.
  • bennett_346
    It is. Sheepsteeth had a twin + stinger setup, and he was losing the chain on occasion.

For a solid single ring setup, you'd need a chainguide of some sort at the top as well (us twin ringers have a front mech) or else you're just relying on luck and goodwill from the chain fairies.
    Ah i see.
  • DodgeT
    Thanks for the advise guys, finally ordered one of these http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=362 and depending how it performs, I may get one of these aswell http://www.bionicon.com/ac/c-guide-v02 as they got a cracking review on here and I think they look pretty good :)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    lawman wrote:
    something like a superstar top guide is more than enough on a hardtail tbh, a stingers main function is as a tensioner, not a guide,
    Sort of. I'm not sure what the best thing to call it is, but the principle is that any slack wobble in the chain ends at the stinger, without propogating to the chainrings. It shouldn't actually tension the chain, but it's also not really guiding it.
    It's a thingummy. Basically. But it works. So it's a good thingummy.
    DodgeT wrote:
    may get one of these aswell http://www.bionicon.com/ac/c-guide-v02 as they got a cracking review on here and I think they look pretty good :)
    If that fits on the chainstay, then it would appear to do basically the same job as a stinger - but I can't see it being quite as effective since the distanec from chainring to device is increased, compared to the stinger.
    The increased distance makes it more likely for the chain to whip around and come off the rings.
  • DodgeT
    I know what you mean yeehaa, but my thinking (and is probably wrong but hey ho) with the bionicon that it might help to stop the dreaded chain suck which on ones seem to suffer from seeing as it not only stops the chain from going downwards, but also upwards.?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    DodgeT wrote:
    I know what you mean yeehaa, but my thinking (and is probably wrong but hey ho) with the bionicon that it might help to stop the dreaded chain suck which on ones seem to suffer from seeing as it not only stops the chain from going downwards, but also upwards.?
    Dunno, but I can't see it would make much of a difference.
    The only times I've suffered from chainsuck, my chain and/or chainrings were badly worn. Best to fix the cause, rather than the effect.
  • DodgeT
    Well it's a brand new build, single specific ring ie no shift ramps etc so all should be in the favour of no sucky sucky.

I'm probably being paranoid, it just seems that when you read about on ones, chain suck seems to crop up.
    Must admit, I had a steel 456 for a while and don't recall suffering from it.

I should just stop mithering and ride it :)
  • bails87
    DodgeT wrote:
    Dunno, but I can't see it would make much of a difference.
    The only times I've suffered from chainsuck, my chain and/or chainrings were badly worn. Best to fix the cause, rather than the effect.

I've had a suprisingly high number of sucking episodes, if you'll pardon the expression, on my C456. A clean-ish, well lubed new 'KMC chain, on new, decent (shimano and middleburn) chainrings. It seems to be when I drop down into the small ring, the chain suddenly has a load of slack and it just loops up and *crunch*....into the chainstay it goes.

I can't see how it would be anything to do with the frame, but it's hard to blame the chain or chainrings either.
    MTB/CX

• YeehaaMcgee
    Hmm, how odd.
    Maybe it's proof that OnOne just suck :lol: