Maybe a weird one? Slow bike...

2»

Comments

• I did think that it might be me so pulled over and raised the seat a bit, but I'm not unfit regular runner and gym goer like ha
  • Are you sure it doesn't rub more with load, i.e. with you on it and/or under power?

Never thought of that, is that even possible?
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    You can get a set of Ready-to-fit Shimano SLX hydraulic disc brakes for about £80 (plus delivery)

btw - they just won a group test in one of the UK magazines (not sure which one & might've been a couple of issues back now)

Sounds good where's that from?

right here my man!

http://www.roseversand.com/search/find/?q=slx+brakes

€99 for the pair 8)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Are you sure it doesn't rub more with load, i.e. with you on it and/or under power?

Never thought of that, is that even possible?

Loose axels, frame flex, flex in anything really
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    My bikes sluggish because of too many pies.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I did think that it might be me so pulled over and raised the seat a bit, but I'm not unfit regular runner and gym goer like ha
    Doesn't necessarily equate to being fit on the bike though. Although your endurance may well be very good, the muscles used in cycling won't have been trained very hard.
    I went out riding with a runner friend of mine who'd just bought a mountain bike last summer. Now, he's undoubtedly far, far, faaaar fitter than me, and can run distances that would give me nightmares - but he didn't have the power to keep up on the bike, and he was burnt out after a couple of hours.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I might try taking the disc off and going on a decent run with rear brake only and see if that makes any difference
    Please don't try that, the main difference it will make will be that it's only got one brake and you'll be taking your life in your hands
    . . .Someone mentioned that the hardrock a heavy but it's defo lighter than any bike I've owned before so can't see it being that
    It's not likely to be down to the bike - mine goes OK. After you've checked the brakes, straightened the disk (easy, by the way) and checked the wheel bearings, I'm afraid it's all down to the engine . . .
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • trailpuppet
    trailpuppet Posts: 381
    Properly set up cables disc can be very good. Managed 2 weeks riding in Spain on Hardrocks with cable disc without any issues
    You can buy disc brake cleaner to remove any road grime from the disc, then fit a new set of pads instead of the old ones which may be contaminated with said road grime.
    Calipers may need re-aligning if they are touching disc/not centralised.
    If you have been using bike on-road for a fair bit there may be a sticking piston in the front Calipers hence it is not operating properly. Remove wheel, place a bit of card/plastic that is thinner than disc and squeeze lever. Observe and check if both pistons are moving
    Bear in mind when looking at some of those brake deals they do not include the disc or adapter to for Calipers to frame or forks in some cases. Some also add vat at checkout. Some are actually out of stck regardless of what web sites say
  • Giraffoto wrote:
    I might try taking the disc off and going on a decent run with rear brake only and see if that makes any difference
    Please don't try that, the main difference it will make will be that it's only got one brake and you'll be taking your life in your hands
    . . .Someone mentioned that the hardrock a heavy but it's defo lighter than any bike I've owned before so can't see it being that
    It's not likely to be down to the bike - mine goes OK. After you've checked the brakes, straightened the disk (easy, by the way) and checked the wheel bearings, I'm afraid it's all down to the engine . . .

I used to have my BMX set up with just a rear brake and that was fine for years, yeah I hope I'm not gonna be highly embarrassed by this post and the problem is the oaf riding it haha
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I used to have my BMX set up with just a rear brake and that was fine for years, yeah I hope I'm not gonna be highly embarrassed by this post and the problem is the oaf riding it haha
    :roll:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just post pics of the aftermath.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Over reacting here I didnt mean going on an off road down a hill type of ride, few times round the block see if it made a difference, not bothering with that now anyway don't think it's sticking enough to affect the bike
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Cable discs aren't known for their power so don't expect too much.
    I have some tektro mechanical discs on my spare bike and set up correctly the power rivals many hydraulic brakes i've used.
  • Cable discs aren't known for their power so don't expect too much.
    I have some tektro mechanical discs on my spare bike and set up correctly the power rivals many hydraulic brakes i've used.

I'm comparing them to the cable discs I had on my 2005 Banshee they where faultless
  • EdW
    EdW Posts: 103
    My guess would be tyres, although those look like they should have fairly low rolling resistance. The Specialized website recommends 35-65 psi. Maybe try 50-60 in the rear & see how it goes (the rear will have most effect on rolling resistance).

I once bought a new bike, first ride felt like I was riding through sand when on the road! Swapped tyres for those on my old bike & problem solved. (I removed Kenda Nevegal/Blue Groove combo & replaced with Panaracer Trail Blaster)