Maybe a weird one? Slow bike...

JayMartin333
JayMartin333 Posts: 73
edited May 2012 in MTB general
Don't know how to describe this really but when riding my Specialized HardRock disc it feels slow, like it doesn't free wheel very well, loses steam quickly when i stop peddling, brakes don't seem to be rubbing and the wheels move freely, any ideas or is it just the bike, have had a mongoose BMX and a 2005 Carrera Banshee and neither of them had this problem

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    best way to check if anything is rubbing ie brakes is lift the front wheel off the ground and spin it as fast as you can with your hand does it spin freely for any length of time..? does it stop with in seconds? if it stops then there is something stopping it brakes? could be a bearing issue? do the same with the rear wheel lift and push the pedals hard how long does it spin for?

what psi are in the tyres ? this can effect rolling resistance as can tyre choice. what tyres are they..?

what was the ground conditions like wet and muddy is slower than hard pack dry trails.
    wind head wind will hinder you when frewheeling or pedaling for that matter..

so many variables to take into account..
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I sometimes get this feeling, often the tyre pressure is a bit low, or the ground is just a bit more moist/claggy than usual.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    ilovedirt wrote:
    I sometimes get this feeling, often the tyre pressure is a bit low, or the ground is just a bit more moist/claggy than usual.
    +1 sometimes cleaning and lubing the chainset can help.
  • Ive only rode it on the road upto now, Just tried the wheels and the front disc is slightly catching, think the disc is slightly warped as the actual rim is perfect, rear wheels got a very slight buckle but spins freely for ages, the tyres are Specialized fast trak sport LK, 26 2.0, What psi should the tyres be?
  • While I'm on the subject of the front disc it doesn't work well at all, back one is really sharp front just carries on going, is this due to the warped disc? New disc cure this?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    New bike? Possibly hasn't been set up right by the shop.

If the front is doing that, try taking the wheel out, push the pads back with a big flat bladed screwdriver, squeeze lever once, refit wheel. Then try pumping the lever many times and see if it makes a difference.

What brakes? If they're good brakes they'll self adjust, and may also have a bite adjuster which changes the point at which the pads bite when pulling the lever.

As for tyre psi - that's down to preference and subject to many a long thread debating it :D. Basically though, lower pressure, the softer and higher the grip. Good for loose & slippery conditions, but they'll drag and are more vulnerable to pinch flats if you use tubes. Higher, less flats, less grip, faster rolling.

As I say, it's down to preference. I run 30psi myself, a little less if I want extra grip. That's with 2.35 Maxxis Minion & High Roller tyres. Smaller tyres I guess some might want higher psi? Faster rolling ones, you could go lower perhaps. Not sure. I don't tend to experiment. I just use the same tyres, set to roughly 30 and ride.
  • No not a new bike but its the 2012 model so still pretty newish and is in immaculate condition. They are the standard Tektro Cable ones, Il give that a try what you suggested, or if not I may upgrade them to hydraulic ones earlier than I planned to.

Re: Tyres, :lol: Psi question a can of worms then! I did put 36psi in the tyre when I was out the other day but it didnt seem to change anything, I like them solid but they still werent solid and didnt know how far I could push it with the Asda Air Pump!
  • Anonymous
    Ah, if they're cable then ignore what I said. Don't know much about cable ones aside from old v brakes.
  • Oh right, Thanks anyway, il have a search round and try and find info on cable brakes
  • diy
    Specialized fast trak sport LK, 26 2.0

They are pretty poor tyres, though they are fairly good for rolling. The control or s-works versions are a lot better and a lot lighter. I run the control version as my summer setup and run them at about 35-38PSI for wet and 40-42PSI for very dry or long distance.

You can true the wobble out of your rear by tightening the spokes half a turn lose/tighter to pull the rim back (the spokes will pull the rim left or right depending on which side of the hub they go in.

the Hardrock is quite a heavy bike btw.
  • I'm under the impression the hard rocks not a good bike at all, maybe chop it in and just start again?
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    if your just riding it on the road, bang the tyres up to 50psi, it will make a difference, you can download the manual for your brakes here http://www.tektro.com/_english/03_suppo ... wnload.php look for this :-Mechanical Disc Brake For Aquila / Lyra / Io / Novela-English, will help you sort your brakes
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I'm under the impression the hard rocks not a good bike at all, maybe chop it in and just start again?
    Hardrock is fine.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    You can get a set of Ready-to-fit Shimano SLX hydraulic disc brakes for about £80 (plus delivery)

btw - they just won a group test in one of the UK magazines (not sure which one & might've been a couple of issues back now)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    /\ ditto, Hardrocks are good enough bikes. Cable discs aren't known for their power so don't expect too much, but pads can be contaminated by oils and soaps. Give the discs a wipe with a clean rag and try to scoure the pads down with sandpaper, or replace them.
    As for it feeling slow, do both wheels spin at the same sort of rate? If so, probably tyres, follw guidace above. If not, then maybe hub or brake.
  • spankone
    spankone Posts: 76
    lol always one :roll:

sounds like it just needs tweaking, you'll figure it out
  • Yeah the plan was to upgrade little bits as and when so may do the brakes if I can't improve the front one, I had cable discs on my 2005 banshee and they where spot on never once had a problem with them which is why I'm quite surprised at these.

I've only ridden it on the road at the moment but I will be out and about off road, llandegla, delamere etc (which is what I bought it for) only had it a week haven't had a chance yet, want to get it up to scratch before I go anywhere far on it! Mates offered me £20 for me tyres, perfect chance to upgrade them!
  • You can get a set of Ready-to-fit Shimano SLX hydraulic disc brakes for about £80 (plus delivery)

btw - they just won a group test in one of the UK magazines (not sure which one & might've been a couple of issues back now)

Sounds good where's that from?
  • diy
    Given how new this is - I am wondering if it just needs to run in a bit.
  • delcol wrote:
    here

or see what other offers they have on brakes..

What about these? The 185mm ones, any good?

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... -rear.html
  • diy wrote:
    Given how new this is - I am wondering if it just needs to run in a bit.

It is still practically brand new, front disc is defo warped though I might try taking the disc off and going on a decent run with rear brake only and see if that makes any difference, someone mentioned that the hardrock a heavy but it's defo lighter than any bike I've owned before so can't see it being that
  • Anonymous
    What about these? The 185mm ones, any good?

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... -rear.html
    Problematic. Typically spongy and not very self adjusting, though some manage okay with them. Gave up with them myself.

Go with Elixir or X series (X7 or better) for SRAM brakes, or otherwise the Shimano should be fine. Others I have no experience of. You'll find different people swear by or at different brakes.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    But generally, most people swear at juicy 3s.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If the bike feels sluggish (and it actually probably just feels different) replacing the brakes seems a bit pointless.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I see your point about changing the brakes pointless but I am planning on keeping the bike and a brake upgrade is on the cards but I think this thread went slightly off topic onto what brakes, but I do think the front disc catching isnt helping the sluggish feeling. Are you suggesting that it just feels different to what I've been used to rather than there being a problem?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    The front brake would have to be rubbing really, really badly for you to notice it slowing the bike down.
  • It's not rubbing that badly, but it's still not working so doubt it could be that thinking about it, seems it won't stop it when I want it to! I'm gonna go for a good ride tomorrow and see how it goes, and a proper trail ride on the weekend, hopefully be able to sort the front brake by then so it's at least working!
  • Russ-Tyson
    Russ-Tyson Posts: 44
    Put your seat up a bit? Maybe you struggling not the bike :)
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Are you sure it doesn't rub more with load, i.e. with you on it and/or under power?