I ♥ Knee Warmers

2»

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,980
    TBH I've never understood knee warmers (in the same way that elbow warmers would be silly) or 3/4 bibs. Either it's cold enough for proper leg warmers or it's warm enough for shorts - covering your knee seems to have all the downsides of full warmers without the benefit of keeping you warm. What next - crop-top jerseys, 3 finger gloves...? :wink::wink::wink:
    Yes but knee warmers look more Euro-pro, I believe.

I'm with you on the knee warmer thing. Makes about as much sense as toe covers for your shoes.

Life improving cycle kit?
    - My first bonkers powerful light.
    - Decent overshoes
    - Full mudguards
    Setting aside the style slaves' objections, that adds up to a full speed commute all year round without destroying every comfortable piece of cycling clothing you own.
  • medoramas
    medoramas Posts: 202
    My cycling life was changed after two purchases: SKS full mudguards and Seal Skinz socks. If they cost 10x of their actual price I'd still buy them.
    This morning I left the socks in the pannier thinking "it's dry enough". And it was, except the moment, when on busy road there was a massive puddle (which takes the whole lane). I couldn't swing to the right because of the traffic, also I was trying my best to get a bit higher on the Strava segment. So I rode through it, full speed. Depth: to the wheels axles... First time I had wet feet since last October, when I bought the SS.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I'm with you on the knee warmer thing. Makes about as much sense as toe covers for your shoes.
    Ah, toe covers. They're awesome in cold but dry weather.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • anonymousblackfg
    anonymousblackfg Posts: 2,029
    You have few veins in your knees, so in the cold they suffer the most when it's most important to keep the crtilage warm and flexable.

cap for rain and toe warmers, big plusses for both
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • Santa cruzing
    Santa cruzing Posts: 157
    Life improving cycle kit?
    - Full mudguards

This.

First wet ride today with full guards. The improvement over the old race blades is incredible.
    AKA Captain Blackbeard
    Going Top to Bottom - E2E for Everyman and Headway - Spet 2013
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Ah - I'm beginning to see a pattern :wink:

Knee warmer folk also like toe covers. Now if you kept your calves warm (with full-length leg warmers), your toes don't get cold because the blood's still warm when it arrives. Not as Euro-chic, granted but effective.

My cycling aha moment was realising that softshell jackets are much better rainwear than hardshell. I can't honestly remember the last time I wore a hardshell jacket even though I have a great Montane eVent Stormrider - I would always choose a hardshell (usually my Airjack which is just brilliant - apart from not being very colourfast)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Knee warmer folk also like toe covers. Now if you kept your calves warm (with full-length leg warmers), your toes don't get cold because the blood's still warm when it arrives. Not as Euro-chic, granted but effective.

It would seem Phil Gil sees the benefit in both:

bettiniphoto_0065104_1_full_600.jpg

Gilbert+wins+Lombardy.jpg
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    If you're as short as me knee warmers are leg warmers :wink:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357

My cycling aha moment was realising that softshell jackets are much better rainwear than hardshell. I can't honestly remember the last time I wore a hardshell jacket even though I have a great Montane eVent Stormrider - I would always choose a hardshell (usually my Airjack which is just brilliant - apart from not being very colourfast)

This is bobbins. If you are like me you could be riding in salopettes and still have cold feet. So long as my fingers, knees and toes are warm, I'm fine.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • meanredspider
    rjsterry wrote:
    This is bobbins. If you are like me you could be riding in salopettes and still have cold feet. So long as my fingers, knees and toes are warm, I'm fine.

It's not actually bobbins :wink: I accept that you might get cold feet anyway but keeping your legs warm - particularly your lower leg makes a big difference as to how warm your feet are. There was a thread on it during the winter. No-one could decide if it was the blood getting cold or the vessels contracting but there was a general concensus amongst those that had tested it that leg warmth made a big difference to toe warmth.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155

Knee warmer folk also like toe covers. Now if you kept your calves warm (with full-length leg warmers), your toes don't get cold because the blood's still warm when it arrives.

Nope, not the case. I spent Jan and Feb doing 40/60 mile weekend rides in temps down to around -5. Wore overshoes, winter socks and thermal bib-tights, warm jacket, wooly hat etc etc and still got cold toes. If it's cold when you're not moving, it's gonna be colder at 20mph+ with windchill, so you can claim all you like that warm calves will guarantee warm toes, but that's b0ll0cks. When it's that cold, your extremities are going to suffer.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    All these Pro cyclists wearing knee-warmers and toe-covers... some has to tell them they're doing it wrong! ;)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165

Knee warmer folk also like toe covers. Now if you kept your calves warm (with full-length leg warmers), your toes don't get cold because the blood's still warm when it arrives.

Nope, not the case. I spent Jan and Feb doing 40/60 mile weekend rides in temps down to around -5. Wore overshoes, winter socks and thermal bib-tights, warm jacket, wooly hat etc etc and still got cold toes. If it's cold when you're not moving, it's gonna be colder at 20mph+ with windchill, so you can claim all you like that warm calves will guarantee warm toes, but that's b0ll0cks. When it's that cold, your extremities are going to suffer.

indeed on 5hr MTB rides if I get cold feet it's because I've got the summer shoes on which have vents, if i've judged the weather right and plumped for the Boots then my feet are toasty since they are incased in wind and water proof boots, makes no difference if i've got shorts or trousers on.
  • meanredspider
    so you can claim all you like that warm calves will guarantee warm toes, but that's b0ll0cks. When it's that cold, your extremities are going to suffer.

I wasn't trying to claim warm legs guaranteed warm toes but cold legs pretty much guarantees cold toes so start by making sure your legs are warm.
    Ben6899 wrote:
    All these Pro cyclists wearing knee-warmers and toe-covers... some has to tell them they're doing it wrong! ;)

There's no telling what pro cyclists do and why :wink: I'm just applying 3 years of Highland year-round commuting experience to the problem :wink:

I'm only being semi-serious - but I do really struggle with the concept of the benefit of knee warmers over leg warmers.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    so you can claim all you like that warm calves will guarantee warm toes, but that's b0ll0cks. When it's that cold, your extremities are going to suffer.

I wasn't trying to claim warm legs guaranteed warm toes but cold legs pretty much guarantees cold toes so start by making sure your legs are warm.
    Ben6899 wrote:

There's no telling what pro cyclists do and why :wink: I'm just applying 3 years of Highland year-round commuting experience to the problem :wink:

I'm only being semi-serious - but I do really struggle with the concept of the benefit of knee warmers over leg warmers.

Try cycling in milder climates more often ;).
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

I know, mate. :)

If someone told me that I was going out on my bike and I had to prioritise a part of my body to keep warm, then I would go for my knees every time. They're head on into the wind, they do a lot of work and there's approximately zero fat on them. As long as one is sensible, the calf muscles will warm up gradually and look after themselves - a knee joint won't do that so we have to step in and help.

There have been times in winter where my knees have been just right, but the leg-warmers are making my calves too warm... and I wished I had worn the knee-warmers.

You should give them a try.

As for toe-covers and overshoes, I always wear overshoes if the weather requires it... purely because I don't own any toe-covers.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • anonymousblackfg
    anonymousblackfg Posts: 2,029
    Ben6899 wrote:
    As for toe-covers and overshoes, I always wear overshoes if the weather requires it... purely because I don't own any toe-covers.

Toe covers are pretty much on the none white bling shoes all year around, only the heaviest rain now calls for finding the overshoes.

As for the knee warmer debate, it's good to show a bit of flesh, the fact you have some bare while all others are in tights makes you look that hit harder. There is no direct rule for them under the rules but I believe they carry through the whole philosophy thats required from Road cycling.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Hold on a sec...you can get covers for your toe that aren't full overshoes :wink:

* heads to wiggle *
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Thinner leg warmers > knee warmers for me. I've never had a problem with my calves overheating, it's usually the back of my knees that are getting uncomfortably sweaty. I now have thinner lycra leg warmers to complement my roubaix ones.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    rjsterry wrote:

It's not actually bobbins :wink: I accept that you might get cold feet anyway but keeping your legs warm - particularly your lower leg makes a big difference as to how warm your feet are. There was a thread on it during the winter. No-one could decide if it was the blood getting cold or the vessels contracting but there was a general concensus amongst those that had tested it that leg warmth made a big difference to toe warmth.

Granted, there is some truth in it, vasoconstriction will play a part, but that mechanism is to maintain core body temperature - so a nice warm long-sleeve jersey + base layer will make more difference. Some of us just have poor circulation in our extremities regardless - my toes are often blue/purple - and there is a family history of cold hands. I'm also pretty much doomed to arthritic hands and feet. Wonder if the two are linked.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • meanredspider
    Ben6899 wrote:

Toe covers are pretty much on the none white bling shoes all year around, only the heaviest rain now calls for finding the overshoes.

As for the knee warmer debate, it's good to show a bit of flesh, the fact you have some bare while all others are in tights makes you look that hit harder. There is no direct rule for them under the rules but I believe they carry through the whole philosophy thats required from Road cycling.

* Wasn't actually me that you've quoted :wink:

Hard as nails, me. None of this knee-warmer malarky - knees fully exposed when most people are still in full tights (I've had abuse for it from fellow cyclists)
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I am a fully paid up member of the knee warmer fan club. I wear them in anything less than 8 degrees, and never wear full tights unless it is sub zero or my legs get too hot. I think a good covering of manly leg hair helps here.

Using them means that I don't need to buy 3/4's, one purchase of £15 knee warmers means all my shorts can be worn in winter - both bibs and commuters (Rapha touring).
  • meanredspider
    Canny Jock wrote:
    all my shorts can be worn in winter - both bibs and commuters (Rapha touring).
    winter in SE London isn't REAL winter though, is it? :wink:
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506

That really doesn't seem to work for me: I'e worn full-fleeced tights once this winter (the first and only time, so far) and my legs were uncomfortably hot and bathed in sweat. My feet were still stone cold and my toes were blue.
    I have come back from rides with ice in between my toes though, and still my legs (in shorts) were toasty warm.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • meanredspider
    davis wrote:

That really doesn't seem to work for me: I'e worn full-fleeced tights once this winter (the first and only time, so far) and my legs were uncomfortably hot and bathed in sweat. My feet were still stone cold and my toes were blue.
    I have come back from rides with ice in between my toes though, and still my legs (in shorts) were toasty warm.

I respectfully suggest you either have massive vents in your shoes or circulatory issues
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    davis wrote:

I respectfully suggest you either have massive vents in your shoes or circulatory issues

Shoes? That's an idea...

Yep, seriously believe I do have circulation problems; almost always have cold (to the point of numbness) feet.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Canny Jock wrote:

Very true :-)

Tend not to cycle when it's much below 0 after an off on ice (yes we get it here) last year
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Canny Jock wrote:

MRS - your comment made me chuckle. I live in SW London and I'd have to agree with you, but I have circulation issues so our 'slight drop in temperature' by your standards is the Artic South for me :lol:
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    suzyb wrote:
    If you're as short as me knee warmers are leg warmers :wink:

+1 i got some knee warmers and bacause i am "compact " they come low enough to be classed as leg warmers .

Back on topic i will add a gilet , when its cool enough to need another layer but a full jacket would make you to hot.
    FCN 3/5/9