I ♥ Knee Warmers

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,918
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Bought some the other week.

They're a revelation. Massive improvement. The quality of my life has genuinely gone up after the purchase of these.

Anyone else recently come across some cycling purchases that have substantially improved their cycling experience?

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    edited April 2012
    Recently, no. However, I started cycling a lot in my early teens. The cycling kit that was available at the time was shocking. Riding in the winter or in the rain was miserable.

I only did utility cycling during and after I went to uni but started cycling more again in 2006. The difference in the kit available was staggering. Thank god for the internet (and more disposable income). No more cold hands and feet for me.

Warmers are ace.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rick_chasey
    JonGinge wrote:

Warmers are ace.

Oui.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426

They're a revelation. Massive improvement. The quality of my life has genuinely gone up after the purchase of these.

Anyone else recently come across some cycling purchases that have substantially improved their cycling experience?

Red ones?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    My ear warmer is possibly the best warmer purchase.

I used to almost be in tears at how cold my ears were going downhill. Made worse by the fact the loose end from my helmet strap used to hit them sometimes. Now no more cold ears.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    JonGinge wrote:
    Recently, no. However, I started cycling a lot in my early teens. The cycling kit that was available at the time was shocking. Riding in the winter or in the rain was miserable.

[...]

This.
    +lots
    Riding Wimbledon to Barnes & back in school uniform was often deeply miserable.

(OT- does this thread presage a flurry with glyphs in the title?)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,815
    Just in time for this afternoon's 18˚C :)

Last week, on one of the wetter rides, I realised that part of the reason I was riding so slowly was that my knees were nearly numb. In winter tights. In late April. Now I know I could shell out on some Endura Stealth tights, but is there such a thing as waterproof knee warmers.

Oh, +1 on old cycling kit being a bit rubbish. I have a mid-90s Castelli jersey, which now seems almost laughably crude.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:

Oh, +1 on old cycling kit being a bit rubbish. I have a mid-90s Castelli jersey, which now seems almost laughably crude.

What is it like??
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:

What is it like??

Erm, blue. It's mainly the cut - not much beyond a zipped t-shirt with an elasticated hem and back pockets - but the fabric is much more basic too.

If I remember, I will take a picture.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

What is it like??

Erm, blue. It's mainly the cut - not much beyond a zipped t-shirt with an elasticated hem and back pockets - but the fabric is much more basic too.

Cool. I'm quite interested.

Partly to prove that the kit makes less difference than we all like to think, but also to see what all these oldies go on about.
    I have no idea. The first cycling specific kit I ever had I got in 2005.
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,054

A bike .. :)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

What is it like??

Cool. I'm quite interested.

Partly to prove that the kit makes less difference than we all like to think, but also to see what all these oldies go on about.
    I have no idea. The first cycling specific kit I ever had I got in 2005.
    I have a 1987 Carrera replica ss jersey: it's so much worse at wicking moisture, basically a terry towelling type of material. Not pro-level stuff but still.

I had some Histor-Sigma shorts back in the day. Colourful. The chamois was basically that: chamois leather. Not a patch on modern synthetic 'elastic' pads.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    TBH I've never understood knee warmers (in the same way that elbow warmers would be silly) or 3/4 bibs. Either it's cold enough for proper leg warmers or it's warm enough for shorts - covering your knee seems to have all the downsides of full warmers without the benefit of keeping you warm. What next - crop-top jerseys, 3 finger gloves...? :wink::wink::wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rick_chasey
    TBH I've never understood knee warmers (in the same way that elbow warmers would be silly) or 3/4 bibs. Either it's cold enough for proper leg warmers or it's warm enough for shorts - covering your knee seems to have all the downsides of full warmers without the benefit of keeping you warm. What next - crop-top jerseys, 3 finger gloves...? :wink::wink::wink:

It's because the knees take the full force of the wind and cold.

Often it's just my knees that feel the cold in the leg department.

Tights can be too warm, and shorts too cold.

I have a pair of 3/4s but they're quite a fleecy material underneath so I get very hot on top after a while. The knee warmers are therefore perfect :).
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    What next - crop-top jerseys, 3 finger gloves...? :wink::wink::wink:
    Knee warmers = mitts?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155

You got your first 'specific' kit on 2005 and it's taken you until 2012 to discover knee warmers? Do you live in CJCP's cave or something?

I had to stop in RP this morning and take all my warmers off. Beautiful morning.
  • rick_chasey

You got your first 'specific' kit on 2005 and it's taken you until 2012 to discover knee warmers? Do you live in CJCP's cave or something?

I had to stop in RP this morning and take all my warmers off. Beautiful morning.

Always had 3/4 bib shorts.
  • mr_ribble
    Knee warmers are great, I have many pairs in a number of different shades of black.

You only get legend status when you can take them off when still riding. Something I saw some randommer do in the back of the bunch at last years World Champs.

Equally as good are the full length variety. Shame shorts for summer or winter innit.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756

Cycling caps, worn under my helmet. Really cheap, more comfortable than just wearing a helmet on its own, and easier to wash to avoid smelly helmet syndrome. Also, the brim is quite useful when its raining.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    dhope wrote:
    What next - crop-top jerseys, 3 finger gloves...? :wink::wink::wink:
    Knee warmers = mitts?

No
    Shorts = mitts
    Full tights = full-finger gloves
    knee warmers = full-finger gloves just with the very tip cut off to let the cold in... :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rick_chasey
    Mr_Ribble wrote:

You only get legend status when you can take them off when still riding. Something I saw some randommer do in the back of the bunch at last years World Champs.

IMG_0117.png

I remember once Scheldeprijs where the most exciting thing was Boonen changing his shoes on the fly with 50km to go.
  • rick_chasey
    notsoblue wrote:

Cycling caps, worn under my helmet. Really cheap, more comfortable than just wearing a helmet on its own, and easier to wash to avoid smelly helmet syndrome. Also, the brim is quite useful when its raining.

Reduce your FCN though ;).
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    notsoblue wrote:

Come at me bro.
  • rjsterry
    notsoblue wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Come at me bro.

Indeed. I'd forgotten that - will have to update my sig.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• mr_ribble
    notsoblue wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Come at me bro.
    notsoblue wrote:
    smelly helmet syndrome

mmm probably just going hang back here if you dont mind.
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    suzyb wrote:

+1.

And whereas until last week, I'dve said that my waterproof boots/trousers had been an entirely pointless purchase in last year's sales, they've now definitely paid for themselves in terms of still being dry when I arrived at work/home!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    suzyb wrote:

+1.

And whereas until last week, I'dve said that my waterproof boots/trousers had been an entirely pointless purchase in last year's sales, they've now definitely paid for themselves in terms of still being dry when I arrived at work/home!

I now have waterproof Sidi (spd-sl) and Northwave (spd) boots following a bargain and sale respectively. I don't even have spd-sl pedals ffs. Because I have the Sidis I'm resigned to buying some normal SPD-SL shoes and pedals to put on the road bike. Y'know, just so I haven't wasted money on the Sidi boots...
    This is a normal, rational, thought process, right?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    I got some last week as well but they keep coming off after about 5 miles I look like a right tit pulling them up! I even went for mediums which should be a size too small. Do you need to shave to make sure the sticky strips hold?
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Come at me bro.
    notsoblue wrote:
    smelly helmet syndrome

mmm probably just going hang back here if you dont mind.

I knew a thread like this would go cheesy within two pages!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Crawling back on topic out of the gutter, yes knee warmers are great for allowing you to be #stillinshorts when you really shouldn't be.

Caps are great for froozen ears and ice-cream-headache sufferers.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    dhope wrote:
    I now have waterproof Sidi (spd-sl) and Northwave (spd) boots following a bargain and sale respectively. I don't even have spd-sl pedals ffs. Because I have the Sidis I'm resigned to buying some normal SPD-SL shoes and pedals to put on the road bike. Y'know, just so I haven't wasted money on the Sidi boots...
    This is a normal, rational, thought process, right?

:D And one I considered until thankfully the gorgeous Sidi SPD-SL's weren't available in my size. :?