Tapering for an event

cyclingsheep
cyclingsheep Posts: 640
I realise that tapering for an event is important I just wonder how much. If I was riding a 200km hilly event (with a time limit) would I be ill advised to do a 100mile spin a week before or as long as that's the last long or hardish ride I do that week will I be alright?

Comments

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Its up to you. No need to do 100miles but if you want do it. Also depends how hard you do it. Dont think the average forumite actually does enough miles to require tapering ,just dont overdo it.
  • If you'd trained enough, doing a 100 mile ride a few days before might actually be a good thing.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Tapering seems to be more fashionable in running and as more runners get into cycling the idea is probably filtering through.

I think it's probably more important to runners because of impact damage from high training loads - in cycling you don't tend to get that and unless your training load is really leaving your fatigued I would agree that you don't have to worry too much about a taper - just listen to your body.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    It's a personal thing but I try to do a big, hard ride exactly one week before then basically knock it off. I do a few hardish - but short - sessions during the preceding week, and no hard stuff with three days to go. That's me. I don't believe in doing nothing with a week to go, as my body starts to switch off. So I try and get out and keep the intensity up but don't do any long rides, which will tire me out.

Eat lots of carbs, drink lots of water, sleep well. No caffeine for a week too.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    maddog 2 wrote:
    No caffeine for a week too.

Do you find that makes a difference maddog 2? I've never tried it but willing to give it a go.

I'm in a similar quandary to the OP in that I have a race Saturday/100 mile sportive Sunday coming up in a couple of weeks.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Yep, I think the caffeine thing is real. I use caffeine gels in the second half of century rides and the effects are, well, massive. Refraining for a week on the old coffee just makes the massive, massiver.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Think I'll keep me espresso fix going.. my hit rate of taking in gels during a race aint too hot of late.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    maddog 2 wrote:
    It's a personal thing but I try to do a big, hard ride exactly one week before then basically knock it off. I do a few hardish - but short - sessions during the preceding week, and no hard stuff with three days to go. That's me. I don't believe in doing nothing with a week to go, as my body starts to switch off. So I try and get out and keep the intensity up but don't do any long rides, which will tire me out.

Eat lots of carbs, drink lots of water, sleep well. No caffeine for a week too.

+1
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    FWIW, many years ago, when I was race director for our local clubs weekly Thursday night races, the most popular excuse, before, during, and after the race was "man, I rode too hard yesterday". While it sounds like "just an excuse" there is more truth to it than not. Most of the racers were smart enough to KNOW they needed to take it easy for a day or so before a race but couldn't, weren't able to, or just didn't want to resist the desire to get out there and hammer with their buddies when they felt good. Often times this was the day before a race. They were feeling good and just had to get out there. Couldn't wait till tommorrow. I believe this is one of the main factors in being a successful racer. Being able to hold yourself back and not just pound yourself into the ground on a daily basis.