Limited time for training

Hi!
I have recently changed jobs and have less time to train. The job is v stressful and I feel quite tired. Added too- the worry of my fitness slipping away!
Can anyone help with regards to how I use my time effectively- I have the book ' Time crunched Cyclist' and just didn't get it!!

I don't have any specific goals - last year I was training for the Raid Pyranean. I would like to keep base fitness and keep weight in check. I am however, planning to do the Raid Alpine next year.

So, Monday evening is yoga- helps with an old injury.
Tuesday eve free
Wed eve free
Thurs eve free
Friday - yoga
Saturday - free
Sunday - not free

I'd welcome some suggestions....Thanks!

Comments

• johncp
    johncp Posts: 302
    What didn't you get about TCTP?
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
  • Just couldn't wade through all the acronyms and a bit too American for me- I'm sorry to say.
  • johncp
    johncp Posts: 302
    I know what you mean, but you skip some of the guff and just read the bits that explain what the various paces are and how to test then get on with it! Brings good results for relatively little time input - not that it's easy! And some would say its not very "deep" fitness - soon fades if you like. Put you could still use it to get some ideas for hard sessions and put in some longer road rides when time allows
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
  • Eyorerox
    Eyorerox Posts: 43
    Why do a job you find stressful?
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    Can you commute? Are you able to shift your bike to your work and head out straight after work/at lunch time(though that would be a lot of carting stuff around)?

If I'm absolutely desprate to get on my bike I'll jump on the turbo trainer and do some intervals (even if it's just 10 mins whilst dinner cooks/my bath runs). This has the added advantage of not having to leave the house. You do need a Turbo Trainer though.

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Everyone has limited time for training, three evenings and one day at the weekend sounds plenty. I think most people find it easier to train if you have some targets, then you can identify what you need to do and when. The RCUK series on training for results made a lot of sense to me as it gives you ideas on what areas to work on and how to organise your training without being prescriptive.
  • Eyorerox wrote:
    I would imagine that it's because a stressful job and being able to pay the bills is better than no job at all... :wink:

As Muffintop said... Incorporating a commute is an ideal way of getting miles in a practical way. Of course it depends on how far work is, and what facilities you have when you get there. I try to do 3 days a week, which is essentially a "free" 120 miles before I do anything else. Of course, being a bit of a fair-weather cyclist, that figure suffers when the rain buckets down.

I had a bit of a similar moment recently... Thought to myself that I wasn't getting enough miles in and struggling to see where I could manage to squeeze in decent training. After a few discussions it just turned out that I was overthinking the problems and not giving enough thought to the solutions. I also can feel quite tired (I typically work 45+ hours a week), but the hardest part is getting out of bed and on the bike. Once I'm up, I don't struggle at all. If anything I feel better. Obviously it can depend on your living situation, but even with a girlfriend and a young 'un, I've still managed to come up with a reasonable plan for getting the miles in.

- Mondays & Wednesdays are "my" days for childcare. So I grab an hour's-worth of cycling by getting up at 5 instead of 6. I can either hit up the turbo or get out on the road now that the days are lighter. I can occasionally get a Monday night to race in a local series by prior negotiation.
    - Tuesdays & Thursdays are mine, so I commute to/from work (~40mile round trip). Tuesday nights I also do the club chaingang. Thursdays I might do the club 10TT, but to be honest I tend to use Thursdays as a recovery day. I vary the intensity of the commute sessions to get the most out of them.
    - Fridays are shared, but I can normally manage a commute. Friday night I've also started doing a 2x20 on the turbo
    - Saturdays & Sundays vary and can obviously depend on schedules, but typically involve a race and a longer ride, with the race usually taking priority. If needs be, I will get up early on one of the mornings to ensure I get the miles I need

Now that might seem a bit excessive to some, but it's what I enjoy doing, and it's nothing compared to the grump I get on if I don't get to ride! It's all about the negotiation - with the people you live with (to be allowed the time), and with yourself (to convince yourself that it's worth getting up early in the morning).
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • dincost
    dincost Posts: 16
    I had the same problem.I am very busy during the week,I usually go on weekends for a ride,during the week I use the bike in all my "trips" inside the city.
    Maybe is a good idea to have a home trainer
  • Eyorerox wrote:
    I would imagine that it's because a stressful job and being able to pay the bills is better than no job at all... :wink:

As Muffintop said... Incorporating a commute is an ideal way of getting miles in a practical way. Of course it depends on how far work is, and what facilities you have when you get there. I try to do 3 days a week, which is essentially a "free" 120 miles before I do anything else. Of course, being a bit of a fair-weather cyclist, that figure suffers when the rain buckets down.

I had a bit of a similar moment recently... Thought to myself that I wasn't getting enough miles in and struggling to see where I could manage to squeeze in decent training. After a few discussions it just turned out that I was overthinking the problems and not giving enough thought to the solutions. I also can feel quite tired (I typically work 45+ hours a week), but the hardest part is getting out of bed and on the bike. Once I'm up, I don't struggle at all. If anything I feel better. Obviously it can depend on your living situation, but even with a girlfriend and a young 'un, I've still managed to come up with a reasonable plan for getting the miles in.

- Mondays & Wednesdays are "my" days for childcare. So I grab an hour's-worth of cycling by getting up at 5 instead of 6. I can either hit up the turbo or get out on the road now that the days are lighter. I can occasionally get a Monday night to race in a local series by prior negotiation.
    - Tuesdays & Thursdays are mine, so I commute to/from work (~40mile round trip). Tuesday nights I also do the club chaingang. Thursdays I might do the club 10TT, but to be honest I tend to use Thursdays as a recovery day. I vary the intensity of the commute sessions to get the most out of them.
    - Fridays are shared, but I can normally manage a commute. Friday night I've also started doing a 2x20 on the turbo
    - Saturdays & Sundays vary and can obviously depend on schedules, but typically involve a race and a longer ride, with the race usually taking priority. If needs be, I will get up early on one of the mornings to ensure I get the miles I need

Now that might seem a bit excessive to some, but it's what I enjoy doing, and it's nothing compared to the grump I get on if I don't get to ride! It's all about the negotiation - with the people you live with (to be allowed the time), and with yourself (to convince yourself that it's worth getting up early in the morning).
    WOW thats some work your doing!
  • Using the turbo can be briliant when you are short of time. There are many different workouts you set do so it never gets boring, intervals, hill training, base levels, power etc etc.
    http://www.cyclefitness.co.uk
    cycle yourself fit
    Non cyclists to regular cyclists we can help you learn new skills.