How much did your commuter bike cost?

13»

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    my PX was never bought to commute on, its just evolved from a PX to that for commuting on. my only bike bought specifically to commute on was my fixie which cost £400
  • medoramas
    medoramas Posts: 202
    I've got only one bike, MTB. I build it on a prehistoric Marin Indian Fire Trail '93 frame. Fully rigid. LX/XT drivetrain and components. To build it up to the state it is now I think I spent something around £400 on it.
    I love old bikes.
    I can't afford new ones at the moment ;)
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    My bike cost just over £300 new.

Like a few others I had other bits to fit to it mainly tyres and paniers.

Makes for a fun work horse it's not as goo load carrier as the old hybrid but it's a lot more fun!
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    my Condor Fratello was about £1250 IIRC.

Since then though I have changed the frame and forks, the wheels, the seat post, the saddle, the large chain ring, the cassette, the bar tape, the chain, the tyres and the stem.

Love my Condor.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I think the majority of people spent around £250-£500 or £300 - £650 on their first (proper commuting bike).

Their second commuting bike cost around £750 - £1200 (usually because they'd have bought a carbon wonder and so had a reasonably expensive bike to base their comparisons on).

Almost everyone has made upgrades to their bike which increases its value to them but not in real terms due to depreciation. Yes my £350 SCR3 may have had a £100 seat post and £200 wheels it doesn't mean it is now worth £650.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I think the majority of people spent around £250-£500 or £300 - £650 on their first (proper commuting bike).
    So £250 to £650?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Well guess I'll be able to say exactly soon since my bikes been nicked out side the British library, huruph!

Guess take the mtb with its downhill tyres, it's a short and flat route......
  • Similar story, 300ish on a Scott Hybrid that was nicked so upgraded to a Genesis Vapour for £700 that I've been riding for 5/6 years now, probably done about 20k km on it.

I’m now waiting for my indulgent bike, a Soma steel frame is en route from the states whereupon it’s being built with all new parts to my spec and with Harry Rowland hand built wheels, total cost prob around the 1600 mark. Seems a lot but, well, its more than I should but less than I could.
  • clarkey cat
    who did you order the Soma through - an LBS here?
  • Through Ben Thompson's Cycleworx in Southfields, though, as I say, it's not arrived yet. Hopefully this week though, pleeease!
  • clarkey cat
    I know London Bike Workshop have been trying to stock them now and wondered if you gone through them. Was seriously tempted around Christmas-time. They look ace.
  • Inthernet
    Inthernet Posts: 10
    My first UK bike as an adult was when I commuted to a London University in 2006-08. Apollo CX10, steel frame from Halfords and was £99 back then! They still sell them as the Apollo CODE. Thinnest rubber tyres ever that are vulnerable to puncture. Brakes went out of alignment in rain, but I didn't know how to adjust them back then. I also gave the frame the nail varnish treatment often. I changed the brakes and tyres and rode it from London to Cambridge. It didn't give me a single issue for the year afterwards until I sold it when I had to leave the UK for a while.

My current bike is a Bianchi Spillo hybrid that cost £250 in Sept 2009 and came with mudguards, front light and a rear rack. Main rationale for this was to eliminate the visual inspection with nail varnish! The alloy frame is good and is lighter than a Ridgeback Speed, but it didn't come with anti-puncture tyres and the rack was steel instead of alloy. It came with a crap "Trax" inner tube at the rear which leaked air from new, and the bottom bracket wore out after around 700 miles. I've had other components replaced, due to me bashing them. The bike's been very reliable in the last 2 years and it's taken me from London to Paris!
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Mine cost £100, ask my wife if you don't believe me.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Mine cost a few PC parts.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • I know London Bike Workshop have been trying to stock them now and wondered if you gone through them. Was seriously tempted around Christmas-time. They look ace.

Ace is exactly what I'm hoping for! It may well make an appearance in the Commuter Bike pics thread when its done.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    When I first built up the Ribble as a single speed, the tyres were the most expensive part (£40).

I was given the frame and some wheels, then bought a second hand groupset (£100) and about another £50 in random bits. Of course i have upgraded since, it's the rules.
  • domgears
    domgears Posts: 135
    I bought my 2009 Giant TCR Advanced in Feb this year for SGD $750, which = GBP 375.
    Came with 105 and Xero XSR3 wheels, bought Aksiums for SGD $140 (GBP 70) and sold the old wheels for SGD $170 (GBP 85)
    Since then my left shifter has died, currently making do just permanently on the large (50) ring, later when funds permit I will upgrade to 6700 shifters.
    So apart from the extras (shorts, shoes, lights etc etc) my bike cost all of SGD $720 (GBP 360) so far.
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Just building up a Ribble Audax for the grand total of £280. Need to get some guards though which will probably push the price up to around £300.
  • DonDaddyD
    bails87 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

So £250 to £650?

Nope, it's exactly as I said. It's all about the upsell init or cross-selling. Guy walks into the shop expecting to £250 on a bike he is likely to walk out with a bike and goodies worth upto £500 or have bought a better bike than the one intended but his pocket will likely top out at £500. I mean it's hard spending double you intended, right, right?

Guy walks into a shop with £300 he is in the £300 - £650 bracket.

It's a DDD logic.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • bails87
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

So £250 to £650?

Nope, it's exactly as I said. It's all about the upsell init or cross-selling. Guy walks into the shop expecting to £250 on a bike he is likely to walk out with a bike and goodies worth upto £500 or have bought a better bike than the one intended but his pocket will likely top out at £500. I mean it's hard spending double you intended, right, right?

Guy walks into a shop with £300 he is in the £300 - £650 bracket.

It's a DDD logic.

Riiiiight..... :wink:
    MTB/CX

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    you have a point, i started at looking at frames/forks at the £1000 mark. and eventually settled on a £3500 frame and fork...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    as i've said else where £62.99 delivered - G E T I N
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • bails87
    spasypaddy wrote:
    you have a point, i started at looking at frames/forks at the £1000 mark. and eventually settled on a £3500 frame and fork...
    I'm not arguing that we upsell to ourselves before we even walk into the shop, I'm just saying that two overlapping price ranges(250-500 and 350-650) is exactly the same as one price range(250-650). Splitting it up just seemed an odd* thing to do.

*oDDD logic :wink:
    MTB/CX

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,677
    Hmm, have commuted at various times on most of my bikes, but the one that is meant to be the commuter cost about 1800 quid in your money, all in. See "Fast" in the sig...
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • DonDaddyD
    Bails,

Guy walks into a shop. Says he wants to spend around £250, sales person knows they're likely to get upto £500 out of him.

Guy walks into a shop. Says he wants to spend £300, sales person knows they're likely to get upto £650 out of him.

I could have just merged the brackets. To be honest I find/found upselling beyond double the price (£650 is more than double of £300 - I regret typing the extra £50) is usually unlikely. £250 -£650 seemed like too broad a bracket so I split it into two overlapping ones.

But you aren't wrong.
    Food Chain number = 4