How much did your commuter bike cost?

Mark__gti
Mark__gti Posts: 177
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Just interested to see what sort or money people spend on there commuter bike,
I got myself an allez sport at the end of last year for £550.
I think I'll be looking for a new bike at the end of the year for around the £1000 Mark. (something that will take proper mudguards with better components)

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Same bike [Allez Sport double] but its also my weekend ride, tourer and TT all rolled into one.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy some crud catchers, especially if its just your 'commuter' bike?
  • Mark__gti
    Mark__gti Posts: 177
    Yeah it would be cheaper to buy crud catchers, but the allez was to see if I liked road bikes and after testing bikes out with 105+ components I would like a better bike at the end of the year.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Commuter bike was a couple hundred 2nd hand, then added new weeks and a few other bits. Have commuted plenty on carbon roadie with SRAM rival and you'll be in plenty of company on a £1k commuter. If you want to ride something with nicer components then go for it, no good reason not to for 105.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    £350 - plus £30 for the mud guards, and £80 for the lights.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Err - quite a lot - but then I think I have the ultimate rural commuter for that money. Don't get drawn into people telling you "it's just a commute"
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Old 40 mile round trip commuter cost £600ish (Boardman road comp), current 2 mile round trip commuter cost my dad £100, 12 years ago including mudguards. It's a bit of a heap, but I leave it unattended 11 hours a day and it's not been nicked yet. Not needed anything doing to it either.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    A Grand, give or take a quid (Boardman Hybrid Pro Ltd).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    £820 I think. Brompton with a few enhancements (6 gears, mudguards). Then I put SPDs on it as well.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    £400 (5 yrs ago) re-forked Gary Fisher MTB with fat slicks. It's not what I would have chosen for the job, but plenty of folk must find "retired" bikes fit the bill quite nicely.

It receives next to no attention, yet soldiers on without complaint. A little maintenance will save me a packet in the long run, if I can just get my @rse into gear...
  • 150 quid BSO.
    Schwalbe Marathons, pedals and other 'transferable' daily clobber about as much again.
    Done 2500+ miles so far - needs new cassette and chain but truth is I'll probably leave it for another 1000.
    I have a very benign ride to work and I've no doubt that weighing under 75kg helps on a cheap bike!
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • corshamjim
    corshamjim Posts: 234
    Ostensibly £425 but I've replaced so many parts on it now, all I can say is .. it's priceless! :D
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Err - quite a lot - but then I think I have the ultimate rural commuter for that money.

Oi. You. Stoppit. Stoppit Stoppit Stoppit!

(Still want one!)
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • My boardman hybrid comp will end up costing me the grand total of £320 when the final payment comes out for the C2W scheme, mudguards about £30 tomorrow, and £35 for lights...well pleased

Dave
  • meanredspider
    davis wrote:
    Err - quite a lot - but then I think I have the ultimate rural commuter for that money.

(Still want one!)

V - o- l - a - g - i ! [/singing] 8) :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Mark__gti wrote:
    Yeah it would be cheaper to buy crud catchers, but the allez was to see if I liked road bikes and after testing bikes out with 105+ components I would like a better bike at the end of the year.

Go for it then, my Allez has been upgraded over the years and 105 5700 is certainly nicer to ride.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Someone wise (old) once said to me ride the best you can afford all the time, sort of makes sense.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    +1 to ITB, unfortunately I couldn't pay out the same now. The bikes that have lasted in terms of quality and comfort (& my idiot son hasn't managed to get stolen for me) cost quite a bit, but are used for more than just commuting.
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    my first drop bar steel hybrid a couple of years back - free from a uni student going home and wasnt taking the bike with him.
    Current jap steel frame - £180 before upgrading the saddle and wheels.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    My Equilibrium build probably ended up costing me somewhere around the £1200 mark. Two years ago I wouldn't have dreamt of spending so much, but the bike makes me very, very happy, and is not actually that pricey comparatively speaking. I do intend to use it way more beyond the commute too.

PS. you'll have to stretch your £1K a little if you want 105, but if you want a road based uber-commuter then look no further than the Equilibrium.
  • meanredspider
    PS. you'll have to stretch your £1K a little if you want 105, but if you want a road based uber-commuter then look no further than the Equilibrium.

Do you think? My first commuter was an Wiggle ex-demo Variado 105 that was £375 (2 years ago). My second bike was a Cayo 105 that certainly used to be under £1k last year. Not sure what Focus bikes are selling for now but I was very happy with both of them

ETA - the Variado is £899 with 105 from Edinburgh Bike Coop today.

In fact there's several bikes at the £1k mark wih 105 - Ridley, Felt and, if you're really small, Focus still have a couple of Cayos at under £1k
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I wouldn't get a commuter bike for much more than 600 quid, much more than that and it just becomes a massive target for thieves and unless you don't care if it gets nicked or you're always putting it in secure parking, you need to carry a couple of massive locks around with you. Of
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I wouldn't get a commuter bike for much more than 600 quid, much more than that and it just becomes a massive target for thieves and unless you don't care if it gets nicked or you're always putting it in secure parking, you need to carry a couple of massive locks around with you. Of
    Or take it into the office and keep an eye on it, if you can.

Current bike cost about £1800 a couple of years ago and as it needed a new chain recently I whacked that Di2 stuff on it, which with the additional bits & bobs came to about £1100.

£3000 then, only it's not my commuter bike, it's my bike that also gets me to work some days per week.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    davis wrote:

(Still want one!)

Is that in the tune of "Volare"? Didn't think I'd be the only one humming along.

I don't distinguish between commuting bike and bike; more between wet/cold weather and fine weather bike. Would love to ride a Volagi - a great looking bit of kit.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    The question implies that my bicycles are static rather than constantly evolving projects :-D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    DrLex wrote:
    davis wrote:

(Still want one!)

Is that in the tune of "Volare"? Didn't think I'd be the only one humming along.

I don't distinguish between commuting bike and bike; more between wet/cold weather and fine weather bike. Would love to ride a Volagi - a great looking bit of kit.

I was hearing D I S C O, D I S CO :-D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    SimonAH wrote:
    DrLex wrote:
    davis wrote:

(Still want one!)

I was hearing D I S C O, D I S CO :-D

Better than D-I-V-O-R-C-E or Y-M-C-A?
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    £700 less whatever I saved buying it on the CTW for one bike and then £100 each for the two other 105 equipped road bikes that I picked up 2nd hand to give me a bit of choice in the mornings/spread the wear across a number of bikes.
    FCN = 4
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588

Do you think? My first commuter was an Wiggle ex-demo Variado 105 that was £375 (2 years ago). My second bike was a Cayo 105 that certainly used to be under £1k last year. Not sure what Focus bikes are selling for now but I was very happy with both of them

ETA - the Variado is £899 with 105 from Edinburgh Bike Coop today.

In fact there's several bikes at the £1k mark wih 105 - Ridley, Felt and, if you're really small, Focus still have a couple of Cayos at under £1k

Sorry, perhaps I didn't get my message across clearly enough. I meant if you want a 105 equipped Equilibrium (as opposed to the Tiagra equipped) then you'll need to stretch your budget. You're right, there a plenty of sub £1K 105 fitted bikes out there.

• Sorry, perhaps I didn't get my message across clearly enough. I meant if you want a 105 equipped Equilibrium (as opposed to the Tiagra equipped) then you'll need to stretch your budget. You're right, there a plenty of sub £1K 105 fitted bikes out there.

Do you think there's much advantage of 105 kit over a 10speed Tiagra setup? Most of the important parts appear to be interchangable and the main difference seems to be that 105 kit comes in different finishes.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    My Kona Jake was £750 bought through Cyclescheme so it cost a lot less. When it got nicked and I had to add up the cost of the bike, tyres, lock, guards, rack and lights the total was up to £1100. But nothing was bought at full retail, so taking into accound Cyclescheme and discounts I'd say actual spend is more like £650 for everything.
    Savings made are vastly more.