Is anyone else bored of this weather?

2»

Comments

• BobScarle
    BobScarle Posts: 282
    Got out yesterday morning for 50 miles, bit wet at the start but dried up later. But was it cold! Couldn't feel my toes when I got in. Had long trousers, two pairs of socks, rain jacket, in other words most of what I ride in in the winter. I really want some nice warm, dry sunny weather to get some longer rides in.
  • keith57
    keith57 Posts: 164
    Just wear the right clothes and it's fine http://youtu.be/7cLMAqlVsbU
    http://www.fachwen.org
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/303457

Please note: I’ll no longer engage deeply with anonymous forum users :D
  • Crap weather today in Wales,sitting watching tv :idea: lets go on ebay , new set of wheels on the way,just have to tell her in doors now . :lol:
  • burtie
    burtie Posts: 154
    Well monday is looking rain free and sunny with a high of 17c might go for a long ride with mrs burtie tomorrow might drag her on a 30 mile ride :mrgreen:
  • I don't think clothes is the issue for me - I don't actually mind either way if my body gets wet or not, and I'm not too fussed about temperature either (I happily ride sub-zero if it's dry), but I dislike the constant cold water being p*ssed on your face throughout a ride in the rain - that's what spoils my enjoyment.
  • Couldn't care less about the rain as once you're out and sweating, it doesn't make much difference.

Its the howling gales that I hate - coming back yesterday after 45 miles over Saddleworth Moor and back via the Woodhead pass up over Holme Moss, it was the headwind that made it irritating to say the least. When you can only manage 12mph downhill from Holme Moss its fecking annoying, and even more so when you puncture on a pothole hidden in a puddle with only three miles to go.
  • Wind ruined my TT yesterday, well it was partly my fault with my wheel choice lol
    decided I would stick with my Planet X 82 front wheel despite 30mph crosswind gusts and absolutely ruined the event
    nearly came off twice on the way out and a few times on the way back having to ease off pedaling completely after full scale aerobar wobble :P.
    Came back with a 22:16 and 3rd place, could have cost me 2nd or 1st place to be honest :(
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • Couldn't care less about the rain as once you're out and sweating, it doesn't make much difference.

Its the howling gales that I hate - coming back yesterday after 45 miles over Saddleworth Moor and back via the Woodhead pass up over Holme Moss, it was the headwind that made it irritating to say the least. When you can only manage 12mph downhill from Holme Moss its fecking annoying, and even more so when you puncture on a pothole hidden in a puddle with only three miles to go.

I laugh in the face of gales. I remember as a kid I used to cycle along the sea front in winter at 6 in the morning, doing my paper round, while being pounded by everything the Irish sea could throw at me. I can tell you that some of the weather was nothing short of ferocious - the odd gale pales into insignificance by comparison.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    We were sunbathing among the palm trees of Ayrshire today.
  • munzy
    munzy Posts: 111
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    My last 3 decent rides have been in dreadful weather and I am getting really fed up too. I don't mind the odd 'challenge' but persistant heavy rain and swirling winds are no fun at all.

I was supposed to be doing a really tempting 200k down in Somerset/Devon tomorrow but the weather warning (heavy rain all day, winds of 25mph-gusting up to 50mph) meant that I went out for a hard training ride this morning (yes, in more rain and wind :roll: ) and will spend most of tomorrow morning in bed reading cycling mags/watching Scooby Doo and eating chocolate croissants (served with fresh ground coffee) instead of getting up at 5am and making porridge. It's not all bad :)

You soft southerners!*

You lot don't know you're lucky. Swirling winds (especially) and wet roads are the norm up here just west of Glasgow :wink:

* south of Carlisle
  • garethjohn
    garethjohn Posts: 165
    It's just too damn hot 8)
  • Graeme Jones
    Graeme Jones Posts: 361
    Forearms a little pink today fairly warm on my 40+mile journey
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    I waited something like 5 or 6 weeks to do a long bike ride (OK long for me like 20 or 30 miles).

Yes, it was raining that much, or it was overcast and looked like it would rain. It amazes me that we could have 6 weeks of grey sky at this time of year.

I didn't have enough money to buy mudguards for my MTB otherwise I would have and just gone out in it - I was saving up for my new road bike... way more important to me lol, the sunny weather came at just the right time really. :)

Plus I bought that bike the same day Wiggins won the Tour, I will never forget it. If Wiggins hasn't boosted road bike sales 1000% nothing else will! Maybe eventually we will be like France and everyone will embrace cycling. It seems in France every single man woman and child is into cycling, like you're a geek if you're not. Then again they get nice weather there a lot more than us. Then there's Holland, insane amount of bikes there, looks like more bikes than people some places... but again its all flat so thats why. :o