Chia

sunburntknees
sunburntknees Posts: 272
A marathon runner-chap at work mentioned this to me the other day. Appears it's the latest thing: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17476690

Anyone here using it? If so, what do you do with it? Any noticeable effects (good or bad)?

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Just found out I have been eating it for a while! Mrs T's been slipping into soups stews and curries at the end of cooking, so I would say I haven't noticed it. :D

Mrs T says...It's a seed, member of the mint family, richest plant source of Omega3, dietry fibre about 30% so really high, and 16% protein so quite high, about 40% carbs.

I would have to say that as you are only eating a tablespoon, 15gms is recommended portion size, you are not adding a huge amount to your diet, but the fibre increase could help reduce your cholesterol.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • secretsqizz
    secretsqizz Posts: 424
    Let's be honest here, marathon runners are off the scale when it comes to weirdness in comparision to cyclists.
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Let's be honest here, marathon runners are off the scale when it comes to weirdness in comparision to cyclists.

In that case you ought to take a look at what Audaxers get up to. :?
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • McBoom
    McBoom Posts: 78
    It think it's possible benefits will relate to making liquids slow/slower release.

Perhaps water mixed with chia(making the water's release into the blood slower) is of some benefit. Perhaps it isn't.

Mixing with a sports drink would effectively make the sports drink a more "complex" source of carbs, slowing it's release of energy. It's logical that this may be of benefit with regards exercise. Note I'm talking about carbs from the drink, chia has next to zero useable carbs itself.

In a food of itself - it will be consumed in such small amounts that any spectacular claims about its benefits should be viewed skeptically.