Long ride prep

domcarr
domcarr Posts: 85
I'm doing a 500 mile 5-day event in late May. Can anyone give me some advice on a) what prep to do the week before (training and diet) and b) the best way to recover between days??
Thanks

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Easy week on the bike the week before. Bit of carbo loading as well - not gorging yourself on chocolate and crap though obviously.

In terms of recovery - I'm assuming your comfortable (-ish) riding 100 mile days back to back so all you need to do is make sure you eat well and sleep well.
    More problems but still living....
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    As well as Carb load don't forget to fluid load about 3 days before hand, try to get 6 litres a day in.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Velonutter wrote:
    As well as Carb load don't forget to fluid load about 3 days before hand, try to get 6 litres a day in.
    6 litres??! :shock:

I'd say that's totally unnecessary.

A colleague of mine did JOGLE last year in some pretty unfavourable weather and, although he has a healthy appetite (he's a 6' rugby player, and didn't even train much beforehand), they didn't do anything special.

I suggest you do some easy riding the week leading up to the event, eat & sleep well and focus your energies on doing the same during the event. Refuelling is important, not just to get you to the end of the day's ride. Eating and resting appropriately each day will make a difference to your performance the following day.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.