measuring w/kg

JimboPlob
JimboPlob Posts: 397
Just a very quick question. When people refer to w/kg, does that include the weight of bike + rider or just rider?

Don't suppose people now what strava uses either?

Thanks

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Strava estimates on the combined weight. Not sure about how it is properly measured but I would assume the same.
  • Scientifically speaking, when people talk about power to *mass* ratio they mean the power (over a specific duration) divided by the (naked) mass of the athlete (only).

If you look at tables we've generated or others (e.g. Trainingpeaks), it's power to (naked) mass

Ric
    Coach to Michael Freiberg - Track World Champion (Omnium) 2011
    Coach to James Hayden - Transcontinental Race winner 2017, and 2018
    Coach to Jeff Jones - 2011 BBAR winner and 12-hour record
    Check out our new website https://www.cyclecoach.com
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Scientifically speaking, when people talk about power to *mass* ratio they mean the power (over a specific duration) divided by the (naked) mass of the athlete (only).

If you look at tables we've generated or others (e.g. Trainingpeaks), it's power to (naked) mass

Ric

Ric, Have you a link for those?
  • not just yet, but they may appear on our new website which is currently being worked on
    Coach to Michael Freiberg - Track World Champion (Omnium) 2011
    Coach to James Hayden - Transcontinental Race winner 2017, and 2018
    Coach to Jeff Jones - 2011 BBAR winner and 12-hour record
    Check out our new website https://www.cyclecoach.com
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    not just yet, but they may appear on our new website which is currently being worked on

Ok thanks. Look forward to seeing them if you do put them up :D
  • nammynake
    nammynake Posts: 196
    Scientifically speaking, when people talk about power to *mass* ratio they mean the power (over a specific duration) divided by the (naked) mass of the athlete (only).

Ric

Don't start confusing people with mass/weight definitions! Power:Mass or Power:Weight measure exactly the same thing, albeit on a different scale (the difference being a factor of 9.81). Unless you're comparing athletes under differing gravitational fields?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,436
    this is quite comprehensive, it includes a chart of typical p:w for various durations/categories

http://americanroadcycling.org/articles ... egoryTable
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • nammynake wrote:

Ric

Don't start confusing people with mass/weight definitions! Power:Mass or Power:Weight measure exactly the same thing, albeit on a different scale (the difference being a factor of 9.81). Unless you're comparing athletes under differing gravitational fields?
    We refer to mass rather than weight because weight implies a concern only with gravitational forces. Use of mass refers to forces relevant for a cyclist including those for which gravity isn't a factor (e.g. changes in kinetic energy).
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    It doesn't matter either way, as mine will always be higher than anypne elses's by around 0.6.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    NapoleonD wrote:
    It doesn't matter either way, as mine will always be higher than anypne elses's by around 0.6.
    So you have a threshold power to weight ratio of 11.6?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • napoleond
    No, it's just gone up again, I've just had a massive poo.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    NapoleonD wrote:

Ha ha, South Cheshire humour!

Love it!
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    NapoleonD wrote:
    So how much more than my threshold power to weight ratio of 11 is yours now then? Bearing in mind I had eaten a fuckload of bread dipped in olive oil, and had downed a few litres of beer before I weighed myself. I have long hair which was wet at the time. I was also wearing four layers of clothing, and had been standing out in heavy rain for quite some time.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Herbsman wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    So how much more than my threshold power to weight ratio of 11 is yours now then? Bearing in mind I had eaten a fuckload of bread dipped in olive oil, and had downed a few litres of beer before I weighed myself. I have long hair which was wet at the time. I was also wearing four layers of clothing, and had been standing out in heavy rain for quite some time.

Wow you sound like quite a catch for some lucky fella :D
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • RChung
    RChung Posts: 163
    sungod wrote:
    this is quite comprehensive, it includes a chart of typical p:w for various durations/categories

Holy cow. I can't stop reading this.
  • Alex_Simmons/RST
    Alex_Simmons/RST Posts: 4,161
    RChung wrote:
    sungod wrote:

Cycling performance simplified. Holy Cow indeed.

What an almighty load of Holy Crapola. Although to be fair, I couldn't get past the first half dozen sentences to really find out how bad it was.
  • napoleond
    RChung wrote:
    sungod wrote:

Cycling performance simplified. Holy Cow indeed.

What an almighty load of Holy Crapola. Although to be fair, I couldn't get past the first half dozen sentences to really find out how bad it was.

Errrrm.

WTF is that?
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Just get a V meter and all is solved!!!!!!!!