Mountain biking in the Netherlands...?

2»

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Staying down near Dordrecht so have picked out the 6 nearest intermediate/advanced trails. (near Rotterdam, Dordrecht, Breda, Den Haag etc) - the ones by the sea on the dunes sound lke they should be fun also a nice sounding one (forget which) through a load of pines and wildlife reserve...I'll feel right at home :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Did nt know there were many down there...

Noordwijk is my local trail but is probably too far/not worth the trip from Dordrecht. it's one of the most technical in the area (though it would barely be a blue at a 7 Staine) and I did an 8 lap half marathon there a few weeks back - it was the hardest race I ve ever done because there is just no place to rest!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Noordwijk is where my wife's family is from... I know the trail you're talking about.
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    Ahoy all,

There is a bit of stuff in the Netherlands. We've not looked around the Limburg region, but you can bet there is probably more stuff down there that is a bit more trail-centrey.

There is a mountain bike track to the west of Utrecht called Laage Vuursche, but it's very sandy and not much in the way of elevation. That said, it's quite good fun if you want to build some XC skills!

Near Arnhem you have the Veluwezoom national park that has some good fun up and downy bits, nothing mega savage though but a very enjoyable ride!

If you're after some more purpose built downhill then you're probably going to need to head over to Filthy Trails in Belgium or Winterburg in Germany.

I'm sure other people know other places, but these are the ones we've found so far!

I wouldn't trust this man, he probably has a giant tattoo of an octopus adorning his body.
  • Meppo
    Meppo Posts: 1
    There is actually some surprisingly good XC riding through the Netherlands given how flat it is. In general the further north you are the more limited your options. I live in Amsterdam and ride regularly at Schoorl near Alkmaar and Ziest near Utrecht. Both are proper XC trails and plent of fun. I'd also recommend taking a look at the following website:

http://www.mtbroutes.nl/index.php/mtbroutes-top-10

Good luck!
  • JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193
    Near Arnhem you have the Veluwezoom national park that has some good fun up and downy bits, nothing mega savage though but a very enjoyable ride!

We borrowed some of the free hire bikes and went round the national park before we went to meet a friend in Nijmegen. Arnhem and the surrounding park is really nice for a ride round.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Holy thread resurrection Batman....good info though!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.