Mountain biking in the Netherlands...?

felix.london
felix.london Posts: 4,067
edited February 2015 in MTB general
Does anyone know of any trail centres in Holland?

Or just anywhere that's not too flat and boring to ride a mountain bike. Would also need to hire a bike or get one out on test?

There is someone on here that's based in the Netherlands..or am I making that up?

Any help would be apprecited
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Lots of dykes.

If you want a fun ride, visit a coffee shop then hire a shopping type bike.
  • felix.london
    :lol: - that might be my best bet!

There must be a couple of trail centres. Although after the Alps things will definitely be looking decidedly...flat

Is a standard Dutch bike along the canals the best I can hope for?

Trek Session 8
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    its flat flat flat

was there a few years ago with a mate, after 5 hrs cycling, we fancied our chances in the tour of Flanders, it cant be that hard............

the tallest hill is 300m asl, there will be skate parks, better to drive / train to Germany for real trails, there is maybe some xc trails but they will be like an Olympic xc trails, flat and manicured

or as I said to someone on this forum - its the place to have a fixed gear race or "spinning race"
  • felix.london
    Yeah. Think I might have to give up on the fast, technical singletrack search.

Maybe hire a jump bike at find a skate park or BMX track is a more realistic goal

Trek Session 8
  • Just cycle around Amsterdam city centre, plenty of hazards there to avoid. :wink:
  • Ahoy all,

There is a bit of stuff in the Netherlands. We've not looked around the Limburg region, but you can bet there is probably more stuff down there that is a bit more trail-centrey.

There is a mountain bike track to the west of Utrecht called Laage Vuursche, but it's very sandy and not much in the way of elevation. That said, it's quite good fun if you want to build some XC skills!

Near Arnhem you have the Veluwezoom national park that has some good fun up and downy bits, nothing mega savage though but a very enjoyable ride!

If you're after some more purpose built downhill then you're probably going to need to head over to Filthy Trails in Belgium or Winterburg in Germany.

I'm sure other people know other places, but these are the ones we've found so far!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I'm in Holland - there are lot's of trails (although trail centre might be a stretch) - As you'd expect, they are be-lycrad XC style, head-down, arse-up sorts of trails. Where are you headed? I think your biggest problem will be finding a bike to hire really - most bike hire places only do the Dutch Bikes...

Have a look here - http://www.mtbroutes.nl/
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    A friend of mine lives in the Netherlands, about 11 miles away from a hill. He says its about the only one around.

Its not really the country to visit for crazy DH action.
  • cheddarpaul
    cheddarpaul Posts: 126
    I stayed in Center Parcs recently and before going out there contacted a local MTB club for advice. There arent any hills around but what they did point out were miles of singletrack through the trees. They even invited me out on one of their rides but I thought the OH wouldnt fancy me taking off for an evening on holiday!

Its a friendly forum

http://www.mountainbike.nl/forum/index. ... 745ac47cca
    Boardman Team Comp
    Boardman CX Team
    Boardman Full Suss Pro
    Brick Lane fixie
    Genesis Day One
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Sounds like a bit of a non starter, have you thought about going surfing in Luxembourg? :lol:
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    I heard they're actually building a hill over there for things like cycling, some roadies I know over there are all excited.
  • felix.london
    I read few months back that they're trying to build a mountain :shock: I $hit you not!

edit - here you go;
    http://pruned.blogspot.fr/2011/09/mountain-for-netherlands.html

Trek Session 8
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    In my few trips to Amsterdam I only recall seeing one fairly nice hardtail and someone on a big dh bike. Rest had what looked like coffins on the front, or the usual horrible commuter bikes.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Holland is flat, get one of those bad ass lay back cruiser bikes.
  • felix.london
    Ahoy all,

There is a bit of stuff in the Netherlands. We've not looked around the Limburg region, but you can bet there is probably more stuff down there that is a bit more trail-centrey.

There is a mountain bike track to the west of Utrecht called Laage Vuursche, but it's very sandy and not much in the way of elevation. That said, it's quite good fun if you want to build some XC skills!

Near Arnhem you have the Veluwezoom national park that has some good fun up and downy bits, nothing mega savage though but a very enjoyable ride!

If you're after some more purpose built downhill then you're probably going to need to head over to Filthy Trails in Belgium or Winterburg in Germany.

I'm sure other people know other places, but these are the ones we've found so far!

Excellent! That's what I wanted. I knew there had to be something. Will be stuck there for about 10 days so just a day or two on some mellow trails will be cool. It'll be like weening myself off these Alpine trails.

Cheers for the info

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    ddraver wrote:
    I'm in Holland - there are lot's of trails (although trail centre might be a stretch) - As you'd expect, they are be-lycrad XC style, head-down, arse-up sorts of trails. Where are you headed? I think your biggest problem will be finding a bike to hire really - most bike hire places only do the Dutch Bikes...

Yes - you're the one in Holland! OK - sounds good. Will check out that link.

Cheers.

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    I stayed in Center Parcs recently and before going out there contacted a local MTB club for advice. There arent any hills around but what they did point out were miles of singletrack through the trees. They even invited me out on one of their rides but I thought the OH wouldnt fancy me taking off for an evening on holiday!

Its a friendly forum

http://www.mountainbike.nl/forum/index. ... 745ac47cca

Cheers. Will check it out.

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    ddraver wrote:

Yes - you're the one in Holland! OK - sounds good. Will check out that link.

Cheers.

ddraver - you the man! There are literally 100's of routes on that site (of course there are - the Dutch are bike crazy)

" The Schoorlse Nok, over 48 ( :shock: ) meters above sea level is the apple of the municipality. The over 15-kilometer route is on high dunes, forests and moors and along the Kerf. The route is both whimsical, challenging and exhausting"

- sounds like a good place to start :D

Trek Session 8
  • ddraver
    I read few months back that they're trying to build a mountain :shock: I $hit you not!

edit - here you go;
    http://pruned.blogspot.fr/2011/09/mountain-for-netherlands.html

But they did Sh1t you (and many others) I'm afraid....

it's easy to poopoo (is that right? I ve never written that word before) the trails, but a lot of them are really well built and maintained and are a lesson for trail builders in how to make the most of the decent you have. Because there are no long hills/descents to "rest" on you attack everything 100% - after 15mins you re knackered. It does make you realise why building the olympic XC in essex can still make for a challenging course...

Social, just riding for fun does nt exist in the Netherlands, it's either just a way to get around for most people, or a race!
    - @ddraver
  • My wife's half Dutch and we've spent a bit of time out there... odd having to ride up to the beach. Plenty of good riding to be had, especially if you've got an XC mindset. It's similar to when people slag off places like Sherwood Pines for being dull... speed doesn't have to come from gravity. We have these amazing things called pedals that, if you hammer them, make you go quickly, even on the flat. I personally love flowing trails through trees when you're constantly having to be on the gas and sprint out of every turn.
  • felix.london
    My wife's half Dutch and we've spent a bit of time out there

My wife's Dutch. My son's half Dutch :D

ddraver wrote:
    just riding for fun does nt exist in the Netherlands, it's either just a way to get around for most people, or a race!

Yep - trying to get the OH into mountain biking. She doesn't get it..it's just transport to her. Although being a sh1t hot skier and half decent snowboarder she does like the look of the downhill stuff, just not the stuff where you've got to pedal :wink:

Trek Session 8
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i feel i need to edit the topic heading.

there is one very missleading word in it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,600
    Bizarrely The Netherlands does actually have a mountain (if you go with the UK definition of anything over 1,000 feet) :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • felix.london
    :D - 2hrs drive away and slap bang on the borders with Belgium & Germany. Chips, mayo, sausages & beer - perfect

Trek Session 8
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    :D - 2hrs drive away and slap bang on the borders with Belgium & Germany. Chips, mayo, sausages & beer - perfect
    2:40 from me.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • felix.london
    just looked at my watch, I'm at -2m :?

Trek Session 8
  • ddraver
    Don't think I ve been above zero for some time!
    - @ddraver
  • felix.london
    :lol: I live at over 1300m...better not go home too quickly or I'll get the bends

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    Found a shop 5mins away that will rent me a bike, printed out directions to 5 different MTB trails all within 30mins drive of where I'm staying. A lot of them containing "Short, steep climbs, fast descents & technical, purpose-built single track" including a place used by the Dutch national team for training.

A lot of these bike trails are on old rubble landfill sites that have been turned into 'hills' and wildlife parks

Trek Session 8
  • ddraver
    Sounds about right - where are you headed?
    - @ddraver