Spare tube or self adhesive patches???

alpineaddict
alpineaddict Posts: 247
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hi folks

Doing my first semi-big ride (well for me it is anyhow) on Sunday in the BHF Dorset Bike Ride. I am doing the 66 mile route, in training for the 100 mile MacMillan Dorst Bike ride in July... Oh and typically the weather is forecast to be a shocker :cry:

Currently I have self adhesive patches in my saddle thingy, but was wondering what the general feeling was. Do folk tend to take a spare tube or patches... Or both?

With my Saddle thing, space is an issue and I know I could get something bigger, but I don't really want to.

Any thoughts shared would be very much appreciated...

Thx :)

Comments

• maveco
    maveco Posts: 67
    Both. Spare tube - keep in in your back jersey pocket. Patches - in case you are really unlucky

I don't bother with patches, when a new tube is the same price as a cup of coffee.

FYI IMHO Those saddle bag things look like a scrotum, wiggling about :D . All that stuff fits in the cycling jersey pockets.
  • Tube. Less hassle and quicker and more reliable solution.
    'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    maveco wrote:
    FYI IMHO Those saddle bag things look like a scrotum, wiggling about :D . All that stuff fits in the cycling jersey pockets.
    Tut. Trouble with that is that you have to put them all in every time you go out and it takes up space needed for the vitals - phone, cash, keys, nibbly stuff etc. As would be expected, the only times I've forgotten to fill the jersey pockets is when I've had a flat. Get the little saddle bag, stick in a spare tube, levers, repair kit & CO2 canisters and leave it attached to the saddle. Leave the pockets for things that you will want easy access to, and have the saddlebag as the forgotten about stand-by. You don't waste any time looking at it anyway so it doesn't matter what it looks like. Much like your scrote, tbh.
  • I would always go spare tube. Patches, can come unglued, particularly in hot weather and you wouldn't want that on a decsent. Also it's much quicker to change than fiddling around with a pacth particularly if you are going for a time.
    There is nothing like the incredible feeling of summiting a Tour climb with blue skies all around and the sun on your back.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I always have 2 spare tubes on long rides - I do carry patches too, but the glue and patch type. You know you've had a mare of a ride when you're effectively on your third tube, but it does happen, particularly when we venture into flinty Hampshire.

FWIW - I've had bad experiences with the self adhesive ones, they haven't held for me at road bike pressures (i.e. 100psi and above), but some people swear by them.

If you're dilligent, then you can repare any tubes when you get home - the patches and vulcanising glue make for a solid repair - I'd normally chuck a tube out once it's got 3 or so repairs, but you could probably put loads more so long as they're not close together.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Thx folks... very useful and pretty much unanimous. You have convinced me to pop down and buy a spare tube... @maveco, I know what you mean and I too hate the saddle bag thingies, however I only have a tiny, flat Kuota one (to match the bike of course) so will just about fit an iPhone and tyre levers in...

I do however, appreciate that I also hate 'loading' my jersey pockets up with everything so I guess I'll have to look like a scroat for a bit longer until I can afford to pay someone to follow me around in their car... :P

Re the CO2 canisters... Do they simply contain enough for one tyre?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I would always go spare tube. Patches, can come unglued, particularly in hot weather and you wouldn't want that on a decsent.

Conventional patches are at least as strong as the tube. I carry spare tubes and conventional patches. I don't see the point of self adhesive.

@ maveco - fine if you are that wealthy but I can repair a patch in the time it takes you to order your coffee. If you are lazy and wasteful though, carry on.... :wink:

I only replace tubes when they explode or the valve goes.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    1 16g CO2 canister will fill a 23mm 700c tyre to between 120 and 130 psi. Shoot the whole load in - even if its a bit heigher than you'd use normally, its too difficult to try and guess the pressure in there if you dont. Also always carry 2.
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    Both. Patches can fix most punctures you'll have but it can be a pain to find the leak if it's small and it's a fiddle job which you won't appreciate if the weather is bad. A spare tube is simpler but if you get two punctures in a ride you're screwed.

I use a large storage bottle that goes in a bottle cage. In there I fit a mini pump, spare tube, 18 multi-tool, tyre levers and puncture repair kit. On the rare occasions I ride far enough or in hot enough weather to warrant more than 1L of water then I put the extra bottle into my jersey.
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    Tubes always. I stuff my Co2 inflator + 2 cartridges, a tube, multi-tool, and levers in one of these and stick it in one of my jersey pockets...works a treat.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/lezyne-c ... 57473.html
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Both + co2 pump in saddlebag. Jersey pockets are for food,phone and gilet
  • Erudin
    Erudin Posts: 136
    I carry 2 spare tubes (if the valve cores are removable check they are tightly screwed in), Rema Tip Top TT04 Sport Puncture Repair Kit, and Topeak Shuttle Levers. Check tyres are at right pressure before ride to avoid snakebite punctures, and that the pump take will get the tyres up to the pressure you need.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Yup, tubes plus patching kit : probably well OTT but I frequently carry 3 tubes - certainly when commuting as I don't want to be stood by the side of the road with no spare tubes whilst I am supposed to be sat at my desk.
    I have a tube bundled with my pump in my pocket - that reduces the likelihood of the pump jumping out of my pocket - pump on it's own can easily slip out.
    Then I have an old bottle with the top cut off in a bottle cage - this has a chain tool, multi-tool plus levers and tube stuck in it. Means that I can have multiple lights attached to the seatpost without being obscured by a saddlepack.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    A couple of tubes plus patches just in case. It's amazing what I can cram into my "saddle scrotum" (that name's going to stick I fear. :| )

Don't forget, if you have the spares you might be able to help out a less fortunate or less well-prepared cyclist. I usually ask "OK mate?" when I see someone off the road. One guy had "bonked" on a ride last summer by not bringing any food on a 60 mile ride so I gave him a spare gel. Help one another.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • maveco
    Rolf F wrote:
    @ maveco - fine if you are that wealthy but I can repair a patch in the time it takes you to order your coffee. .

Thanks for the offer, but I already have someone to do this for me. :D

Also I manage to fit everything in the back pockets, as well as a packlite rain jacket. What exactly do you guys have in those pockets?
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    A couple of tubes plus patches just in case. It's amazing what I can cram into my "saddle scrotum" (that name's going to stick I fear. :| )

Don't forget, if you have the spares you might be able to help out a less fortunate or less well-prepared cyclist. I usually ask "OK mate?" when I see someone off the road. One guy had "bonked" on a ride last summer by not bringing any food on a 60 mile ride so I gave him a spare gel. Help one another.

Very good point about helping one another.

My chain snapped in the middle of nowhere last year and I was just trying to explain to my missus where i was so she could pick me up when two very helpful cyclists stopped to see if I was ok. 10 minutes later they had repaired my chain and i was on my way again.

There does seem to be a great camaraderie between cyclists in this respect.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • maveco
    CiB wrote:
    Tut. Trouble with that is that you have to put them all in every time you go out and it takes up space needed for the vitals - phone, cash, keys, nibbly stuff etc. As would be expected, the only times I've forgotten to fill the jersey pockets is when I've had a flat. Get the little saddle bag, stick in a spare tube, levers, repair kit & CO2 canisters and leave it attached to the saddle. Leave the pockets for things that you will want easy access to, and have the saddlebag as the forgotten about stand-by. You don't waste any time looking at it anyway so it doesn't matter what it looks like. Much like your scrote, tbh.

I understand, but please observe rule 29

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#29
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Always carry a tube, unless its a race. Much quicker to put a new tube in, and sometimes roadside repair really isn't an option e.g. if valve damaged, or hole impossible to find. I usually have a few Park Patches as well, as back up for road side repair. I guess you could just use regular repair kit but the patches are a bit quicker and easy to use as a "get me home" option.

I agree saddle bags look awful. A necessary evil occasionally, but I can usually fit all I need in jersy pockets - wallet, phone, insulin, tube, multi tool, tyre levers - only really gets tricky when I need to pack rain jacket / gilet.
  • maveco
    Also my Endura bib shorts have a nice big pocket on the back, big enough for phone/gels. I also pack separate smaller keys (just one for the back gate. And a smaller credit card wallet, with emergency card. micro pump, tube and a few nibbles.

Also +1 on the Park patches
  • Peddle Up!
    BigMat wrote:
    I agree saddle bags look awful. A necessary evil occasionally...

Notwithstanding "The Rules", I don't see this. Large packs can look a bit odd, but the small ones that fit cleanly under the saddle are perfect for the job IMHO. New thread alert? :D
  • maveco
    A couple of nice things:

http://www.velominati.com/general/rever ... e-31-sack/

and

http://www.rapha.cc/essentials-case

Both are great to keep all your stuff together in one of your pockets. The Rapha case in particular, holds my repair kit, keys, cards and a few other bits, leaving me with two pockets, one for phone and gels, and other for wind jacket or food.
  • Peddle Up!
    maveco wrote:
    A couple of nice things:

http://www.velominati.com/general/rever ... e-31-sack/

and

http://www.rapha.cc/essentials-case

Both are great to keep all your stuff together in one of your pockets. The Rapha case in particular, holds my repair kit, keys, cards and a few other bits, leaving me with two pockets, one for phone and gels, and other for wind jacket or food.

Just add a removable clip or two and you can keep your "purse" under the saddle. How neat is that? :D
  • Peddle Up!
    Joking aside, I found my phone "crawling" out of my jersey pocket last weekend. Maybe I didn't push it right down, but loss of stuff from pockets has to be a risk.
  • maveco
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    Joking aside, I found my phone "crawling" out of my jersey pocket last weekend. Maybe I didn't push it right down, but loss of stuff from pockets has to be a risk.

The more you stuff in - the tighter it is. Also what does one need with a phone? carry an old nokia with a pay as you go sim. stick that down your sock.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I have a small saddle bag that I use when commuting, not on a weekend though (vain I know)

Generally I have with me a spare tube, self adhesive patches though I may re-think these now as I have only ever used them on my mtb. Also tyre levers, mini pump, multi tool, small allen key set, house keys and my mobile (this also usually has endomondo running)
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    My advice is to carry both and use a saddle bag, irrespective of how it looks.

if you come off, and your Jersey pockets are crammed with hard pointy stuff like keys, tyre levers, phone etc. you can be quite badly injured by these items. i heard of one guy losing a kidney after stuff in his jersey pocket caused injuries after a fall.

A mate of mine also had an off and his phone was in his jersey pocket. Bike knackered, phone broken, stuck in the middle of nowhere with difficulty finding help.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    For long journeys I got for overkill, i.e. 2 tubes, patches/vulcaniser, CO2 inflator and pump. Use the pump to do as much of the work as possible and then the CO2 to get it back up to pressure.

For the commute its just a single tube and a pump.

Levers too, in both cases, though generally just for getting the old tube out. I've managed to learn the thumbs technique for getting the tyre back on without levers. Much safer for the new tube as you're much less likely to burst the new tube that with levers.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    maveco wrote:
    FYI IMHO Those saddle bag things look like a scrotum, wiggling about :D .

Sadly my saddlebag doesn't tingle pleasantly when I empty it, though.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Couple of tubes and a pack of Lezyne self adhesive patches, just in case. The tubes get used first, but I've never had an issue with self adhesive patches.

I keep the lot in a small saddle bag, keeping my jersey pocket free for phone, grub and a windproof shell. Tools etc go in my saddle bag, 'cause I don't really relish the idea of landing on them in an off. Ok, so the road is also going to hurt me, but I don't see the point in potentially making this worse by landing on a multitool, tyre lever, pump etc.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    maveco wrote:
    Also I manage to fit everything in the back pockets, as well as a packlite rain jacket. What exactly do you guys have in those pockets?

Set of jacks
    Jacks.jpg
    My collection of model WW2 naval mines
    RMG__GERMAN_NAVAL_MINE_a.JPG
    and my swiss army knife with all the attachments open
    wenger-85-swiss-army-knife.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......