Olympic Routes

2»

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    I agree that PT will be worst hit. The projected waiting times to board a train at London Bridge are more than 30 minutes for large chunks of the week. I think a new wave of London nodders - NWOLN - is a serious possibility. Time to fit a cowcatcher to the front forks :twisted:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    rjsterry wrote:
    I agree that PT will be worst hit. The projected waiting times to board a train at London Bridge are more than 30 minutes for large chunks of the week. I think a new wave of London nodders - NWOLN - is a serious possibility. Time to fit a cowcatcher to the front forks :twisted:

Never really had a problem with nodders :P

An arrogant pedalling style and sneer seems to ward them off.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:

Never really had a problem with nodders :P

An arrogant pedalling style and sneer seems to ward them off.

<arrogant typing style> TBF, you only potter in from Fulham </sneer>.

teeheeheeheeheeheeheehee
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    'Tis true :(.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Ian.B wrote:
    Are cyclists actually prohibited from using the Games lanes?

TfL says
    Cyclists will be able to use the ORN but won't be able to use most of the Games Lanes as they are offside (away from the kerb) - not the preferred road position for cyclists.
    Arrangements will be made to allow cyclists to travel in most of the nearside Games Lanes.

Does "won't be able to" mean "prohibited" or is it just a bit of nannying advice?

The City of London says
    Q: Can cyclists use the Games Lanes?
    A: The ORN/PRN design allows cyclists to enter the majority of Games Lanes where they are on the nearside, as this is seen as the normal cycling position on the road. Cyclists will not be allowed to enter the offside Games Lanes for safety reasons or to make other movements that would be deemed unsafe.

which is a bit more suggestive that there is an actual prohibition.

Does anyone know which bit of legislation actually creates these restrictions?

To answer my own question - Article 3 of The Olympic Delivery Authority (No. TV15) Traffic Order 2012 says:
    Subject to Article 9, no person shall cause any vehicle to be on a length of road identified as a Games Lane or Official Vehicle Only Route during the restricted hours identified on a drawing forming part of this Order unless that vehicle is an Official Vehicle or Olympic Bus.

I think I'm right in saying that a bike is a "vehicle" for road traffic legislation purposes generally, so is caught by the general prohibition. The Order doesn't say anything about bikes specifically.

Article 8 of the Order says:
    The provisions of articles 3 to 7 above shall apply only during such times and to such extent as may from time to time be indicated by traffic signs.

So I'm guessing that the references on TFL's and the City's websites to bikes using nearside Games Lanes will be dependent on what the road signs say in each case.

[pedant mode] By the way, is anyone else irritated that quotes in this forum always start with oversize quotation marks, but the quotation marks are never closed?
  • rick_chasey
    Just be sensible.

If you see some VIP olympic car zipping along - jump out of the way. Otherwise, use the route.
  • Ian.B
    Just be sensible.

If you see some VIP olympic car zipping along - jump out of the way. Otherwise, use the route.

Just trying to work out what the rules actually are, as the TfL guidance in particular is ambiguous
  • rick_chasey
    Ian.B wrote:
    Just be sensible.

Just trying to work out what the rules actually are, as the TfL guidance in particular is ambiguous

Rules are only rules if they are enforced.

Be sensible and no-one will mind apart from Addison Lee .
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Just be sensible.

I think that sums up the approach I would take. Not that there will be much olympic traffic travelling to sunny Feltham.

Is it just me that thinks Rick's posts look more angry now his name is in red to match his trousers?
  • Ian.B
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Just be sensible.

I think that sums up the approach I would take. Not that there will be much olympic traffic travelling to sunny Feltham.

I feel (fear) another RLJ debate, by another name, coming on.......
    I'm going to run away from this thread
  • rick_chasey
    Veronese68 wrote:

Is it just me that thinks Rick's posts look more angry now his name is in red to match his trousers?

They probably are more angry. :)
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Ian.B wrote:
    [pedant mode] By the way, is anyone else irritated that quotes in this forum always start with oversize quotation marks, but the quotation marks are never closed? [/pedant mode]"
    Happy now?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Eke, with some tweaks that's actually an interesting route.

Chapeau where chapeau is due.

Chapeau? It's not exactly brain surgery. You just open up a route plotting page and plot a route. You need to go to the inititiative shop and stock up :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Rolf F wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Eke, with some tweaks that's actually an interesting route.

Chapeau where chapeau is due.

Chapeau? It's not exactly brain surgery. You just open up a route plotting page and plot a route. You need to go to the inititiative shop and stock up :wink:

DDD couldn't find the shop and didn't know how to find it.

Taking the bike on the ferry is kinda fun.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Ian.B
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Ian.B wrote:
    [pedant mode] By the way, is anyone else irritated that quotes in this forum always start with oversize quotation marks, but the quotation marks are never closed? [/pedant mode]"
    Happy now?
    Thank you, yes! Please do the same on every thread.
  • Who and how many people are they expecting to use the Olympic lanes? The whole thing seems bizarre!

Leon Daniels of TfL said at

http://leondaniels.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/111-days-to-go.html#comment-form

that
    These lanes will usually be full - that's how many Games Family vehicles there are.

I don't believe him and you can see from the info TfL provided about a couple of spots on the ORN what traffic they assumed for an earlier modelling exercise. (for the link see the comments after his blog post)
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    hestonlad wrote:
    http://leondaniels.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/111-days-to-go.html#comment-form

that
    These lanes will usually be full - that's how many Games Family vehicles there are.

I'm just not convinced. They'll be a few areas that'll be busy. Between the village and the park obviously, but will getting to Stratford be much worse than getting to Wembley for a game? There's so many ways to get there, so many extra trains.

Plus fully staffed transport and police. No road works (which I think have to stop in May)

Normal tourists staying away. No kids at school. Many people getting out of town. The usual suspects at work are already hinting that they'll have to 'work' from home.

These things always seem to get over hyped. Everything will come to a stand still, everyone can rent out their cr@ppy flat in West Ham for 5k/week ... but it never happens.

Still looking forward to it though.
    exercise.png
  • rjsterry
    Ian.B wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Ian.B wrote:
    Happy now?
    Thank you, yes! Please do the same on every thread.

No. They don't match the ones at the top. The curvy ones, please.
    Pinnacle Monzonite