Olympic Routes

rjsterry
rjsterry Posts: 29,357
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
Non-Londoners look away now. I've just been looking at TfL's information on likely transport hotspots and lane closures in relation to the Olympics, and it looks quite alarming TBH. The stretch of the Embankment east of Vauxhall Bridge will form part of the main route between Heathrow and the games, so I'm guessing most of us Embankment regulars will have to make alternative plans. The alternatives aren't that obvious either. If traffic is restricted on the Embankment, then the road network south of the river - pretty much everything north of Oval and west of London Bridge - will be mayhem as well.

As for the predictions of waiting times at London Bridge Tube - bring a cushion and a book.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/london2012/21677.aspx

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/2012-games-hotspots.pdf

So, any route suggestions?
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I suggest all you London workers save holiday days and use them during July :wink:

Although I keep hearing adverts telling us non Londoners that the other venues holding Olympic events will also have transport disruption. On the plus side, there will be so little spectators going to the olympic football in Glasgow that wont cause any issues.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Can someone plot the best routes south of the river to Richmond Park? I'm feeling particularly lazy..
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    I checked this yesterday, and it appears that cyclists are permitted on almost all of the Games roads/routes, with only minor places like Horseguards being shut. While CS8 is suspended along Millbank to allow two lanes of traffic one can still cycle along it. I doubt I'll have to significantly change my route, although it'll probably be chocka with traffic and lots of filtering.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • rjsterry
    I checked this yesterday, and it appears that cyclists are permitted on almost all of the Games roads/routes, with only minor places like Horseguards being shut. While CS8 is suspended along Millbank to allow two lanes of traffic one can still cycle along it. I doubt I'll have to significantly change my route, although it'll probably be chocka with traffic and lots of filtering.

It's more the volume of traffic that is a concern. When the Embankment clogs up, filtering at anything more than walking pace is nigh on impossible as the lanes are too narrow. So, while the roads will still be open to cyclists, they may well be effectively unrideable.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I still don't get who'll be using these lanes? or who'll be driving around at all?
    And why are so many people going to stratford?
    exercise.png
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Can't be ar$ed to read through that .pdf My commute sticks south or the river until Waterloo anyway. If there are any games lanes en route then I just plan on making the most of them - suspect the Police will have better things to do than attempt to stop cyclists for using them. TBH I'm no fan of the Olympics and all the corporate toughing that goes with them anyway.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    The Mall is going to be completely shut for about 2 months which is a) a personal PITA and b) imho will cause knock-on chaos for surrounding routes.
    <a>road</a>
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    TheStone wrote:
    I still don't get who'll be using these lanes? or who'll be driving around at all?

to see the birth place of Shakespeare?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • TheStone
    spen666 wrote:
    TheStone wrote:

to see the birth place of Shakespeare?

The biggest stadium is 80k and very little overlap of events. From central london you can take the overground, 2 different tubes or a whole host of trains from Liverpool street (which I've heard is one every 50 secs). Who else is gonna be going other than those with tickets? There won't be any events going on in the park as they'll decide it's a security risk.

I can see a few of the big free events being busy, but otherwise I've got a feeling London might seem quieter than normal.
    exercise.png
  • rjsterry
    Can't be ar$ed to read through that .pdf My commute sticks south or the river until Waterloo anyway. If there are any games lanes en route then I just plan on making the most of them - suspect the Police will have better things to do than attempt to stop cyclists for using them. TBH I'm no fan of the Olympics and all the corporate toughing that goes with them anyway.

Wandsworth Bridge Roundabout, Battersea Park Road and Nine Elms and Vauxhall Cross are part of the Olympic Route network, and the whole Waterloo area is highlighted as a 'high impact area'. I'd have an alternative route handy.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Can't you all look into a group booking for an Addison Lee cab?
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Cycling
    Cyclists will be able to use the ORN but won't be able to use most of the Games Lanes as they are offside (away from the kerb) - not the preferred road position for cyclists.
    Arrangements will be made to allow cyclists to travel in most of the nearside Games Lanes.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I haven't looked but I've pretty much accepted the fact that I can't get into work.

Wimbledon - Liverpool Street.
    Liverpool Street (train or bike) to Ilford (train or bike)

Stratford is the problem.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    TheStone wrote:
    The biggest stadium is 80k and very little overlap of events.

There are quite a few days where a combination of the stadium, aquatic centre, hockey, handball, water polo arenas will be being used and they are all on site at Stratford. Plus they are selling 'day passes' to the Park itself to watch stuff on the big screen. The Excel, the O2 and Greenwich Park are also all venues so the Jubilee line will be horrible - with the interchanges to mainline stations.

All the ticketholders get a Travelcard with their ticket to encourage public transport usage - not seen much about using your bike to get there. Well, assume you can cycle there but entirely unconvinced where you are meant to park once you arrive. I was out at the Aquatic Centre on Sunday and the only bike parking to be seen might hold about 20 bikes on a good day.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I haven't looked but I've pretty much accepted the fact that I can't get into work.

Simple tings, avoid Stratford.

You're welcome!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    Startford has one of the biggest shopping centres I've seen and, along with the olympic park complete with large screens for those who haven't got tickets but want the olympic ambience, is being billed as a tourist attraction during attract.

It will be busy, busier than normal and it's a pretty busy area on its best day. To think otherwiseis just being silly.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • EKE_38BPM
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    It will be busy, busier than normal and it's a pretty busy area on its best day. To think otherwiseis just being silly.
    Couldn't agree more.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It'll be fine.

If cyclists can't get places...!

Surely the courrier in you should be screaming at you with this thinking!!
  • DonDaddyD
    Eke, with some tweaks that's actually an interesting route.

Chapeau where chapeau is due.
    Food Chain number = 4

• EKE_38BPM
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I don't know dirty SLondon too well, so I just took an 'as the crow flies' approach to get to Catford, but once on the A205, we're onto roads I've ridden quite a lot and know its doable. Get the timings right for the ferry and then you are across the river and moving towards civilisation (NLondon). The A406 there isn't ridable so avoid that and hit the back streets towards Ilford.

I've just had a look on the tfl cycling route planner and it seems to think going from the Woolwich ferry (in Woolwich on the south side of the Thames) to Ilford is best achieved by going across Tower Bridge, not taking the ferry, the Greenwich foot tunnel or even the Rotherhithe tunnel. Thats a bit pants really.

Where in Ilford do you work? I used to work on Roden Street (near the Sainsburys). The building I worked in has been knocked down and is the building site on Street View.

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    rjsterry wrote:

Wandsworth Bridge Roundabout, Battersea Park Road and Nine Elms and Vauxhall Cross are part of the Olympic Route network, and the whole Waterloo area is highlighted as a 'high impact area'. I'd have an alternative route handy.

B0ll0cks to that. There'll be a way through for a bike. 9 Elms etc is lovely and wide and the Olympic lanes will be nice and empty :)
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

I too will have the same problem, upminster to westminster, i think i will probably have to route through barking instead of stratford, you could go that way as well ddd to get to ilford?
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I don't know dirty SLondon too well, so I just took an 'as the crow flies' approach to get to Catford, but once on the A205, we're onto roads I've ridden quite a lot and know its doable. Get the timings right for the ferry and then you are across the river and moving towards civilisation (NLondon). The A406 there isn't ridable so avoid that and hit the back streets towards Ilford.

I've just had a look on the tfl cycling route planner and it seems to think going from the Woolwich ferry (in Woolwich on the south side of the Thames) to Ilford is best achieved by going across Tower Bridge, not taking the ferry, the Greenwich foot tunnel or even the Rotherhithe tunnel. Thats a bit pants really.

Where in Ilford do you work? I used to work on Roden Street (near the Sainsburys). The building I worked in has been knocked down and is the building site on Street View.

in fact you could use the new CS on the A13 to barking, go just past the train station and there is a road which will bring you out at the big roundabout just before sainsburys
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:

B0ll0cks to that. There'll be a way through for a bike. 9 Elms etc is lovely and wide and the Olympic lanes will be nice and empty :)

The special restricted lanes, yes; the larger Olympic Route Network? Will they f***. Hope I'm wrong.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Are cyclists actually prohibited from using the Games lanes?

TfL says
    Cyclists will be able to use the ORN but won't be able to use most of the Games Lanes as they are offside (away from the kerb) - not the preferred road position for cyclists.
    Arrangements will be made to allow cyclists to travel in most of the nearside Games Lanes.

Does "won't be able to" mean "prohibited" or is it just a bit of nannying advice?

The City of London says
    Q: Can cyclists use the Games Lanes?
    A: The ORN/PRN design allows cyclists to enter the majority of Games Lanes where they are on the nearside, as this is seen as the normal cycling position on the road. Cyclists will not be allowed to enter the offside Games Lanes for safety reasons or to make other movements that would be deemed unsafe.

which is a bit more suggestive that there is an actual prohibition.

Does anyone know which bit of legislation actually creates these restrictions?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I guess that means cyclists will be allowed in the lanes but need to make way for sponsors/officials using it?
  • TheStone
    Who and how many people are they expecting to use the Olympic lanes? The whole thing seems bizarre!
    exercise.png
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    TheStone wrote:
    Who and how many people are they expecting to use the Olympic lanes? The whole thing seems bizarre!

It's so the VIPs don't have to hang around in traffic.

So say Bolt goes on a jaunt through Mayfair, and realises it's sh!t & empty - he won't have to slum it with the masses to get back in time to race.
  • rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• OneForTheRoad
    OneForTheRoad Posts: 85
    edited April 2012
    Does anyone know which bit of legislation actually creates these restrictions?[/quote]

Olympic Games Act 2006 gives the right for them to do whatever they want!

I still think that the roads will be ok, most of the tourists will use public transport especially since they are given free travelcards with their tickets. Most people on city breaks in busy places like London use PT instead of hire cars. People who live here will not want to pay the C charge and/or will be too intimidated to drive in London as well as knowing that parking will be a nightmare.

All in all I'm hoping that it should be ok, I think the biggest problems will be inexperienced cyclists taking to the road to avoid PT and not being savvy enough to be safe to themselves and others. The other problem I foresee will be foreign pedestrians crossing the road and looking the wrong way while they adapt to the fact that they are used to driving on the wrong side of the road.

Edit for typo!
    One for the road.....
    The beer not the bike!
    FCN 11

http://app.strava.com/athletes/399251