Anyone riding with COPD

ck101
ck101 Posts: 222
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else is riding / training with COPD, I have (very) mild obstruction and am a novice.

Seem to be having major difficulty recovering from long rides ( over 100mins). I've also invested a lot of money in kit over the last few months and was getting serious benefits from the training until a few long rides in succession knocked me for six.

Booked in to do a 200km ride over two days in month or so and contemplating pulling out.

Thanks,
C.

Comments

• johncp
    johncp Posts: 302
    Ck101 wrote:
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else is riding / training with COPD, I have (very) mild obstruction and am a novice.

Seem to be having major difficulty recovering from long rides ( over 100mins). I've also invested a lot of money in kit over the last few months and was getting serious benefits from the training until a few long rides in succession knocked me for six.Booked in to do a 200km ride over two days in month or so and contemplating pulling out.

Thanks,
    C.
    I think you've got the answer there. If you only have mild obstruction, no current infections, it's unlikely that the COPD is causing too many problems. I have a mate with a similar problem and he goes like a train! Lung capacity is not usually a limiting factor in endurance events.
    A few easier days should help and you'll be flying again
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
  • ck101
    Thanks John.

If anyone else see this with experience of same I'd be interested in your comments.
  • ddmrcp
    ddmrcp Posts: 23
    If you use inhalers, do you find it makes a difference using them just before the ride. Or for example during the bike ride?
    Its well known that even professional athletes get brochospasm (to some extent) as a result of sustained exercise?
    But the best way forward with COPD is exactly what you are doing, so great stuff! Keep at it, but dont try and do something your body is saying it cant do!
  • ck101
    Didn't use inhalers for the last three years under docs orders.

Dug out some old PFT's and I was having a 10% drop in FEV1 after excercise. Started back on a combination inhaler two weeks ago, much to the wifes dissapointment. They don't just get upset when you buy a new bike.

The combination of the serious training and meds are having a major positive effect. I am feeling normal for the first time in years.

Seems I was having some excercise induced bronco spasm which was winding me for days.
  • Cookie91
    Cookie91 Posts: 97
    My favorite topic to see on here, since i am i highlight 'student' respiratory physiologist so take my advice with a pinch of salt :D

Riding with COPD is brilliant, i see too many of my patients diagnosed with mild, mod or severe COPD and they simply 'give up' which is the worst thing to do. Our bodies are extremely good at becoming lazy, and after time we loose the muscle tone to breath effectively at higher intensities.
    So in affect breathlessness is a 'good' sign to some extent, Athletes get breathless it's a sign of the body working, and over time our respiratory muscles become stronger and conditioned to cope with these conditions.
    However with COPD there is a certain extend of collapse of the airways as you exhale which gives the obstructive side, but inhaling is not and issue. To overcome this there needs to be control of long controlled relaxed exhalations, this prevents collapse ,but allows for deeper more efficient breathing so when cycling try to focus on long exhalations rather than rapid panting.

Over time your muscles will adapt and body will compensate, just keep the cycling to your own pace allowing for plenty of recovery and plan an extra 10-20 mins on your ride. Taking your inhalers before as advised earlier is good, and if you do suffer from a chest infection or anything see your GP and nips it in the bud as soon as possible.

After my essay of a response i hope that your still awake i hope you embrace cycling and adapt to your own desired goals in no time. I am extremely happy to hear that your giving it a shot, keep it up. :)
  • Cookie91
    Cookie91 Posts: 97
    On the subject of that 200km you aim for, make sure you can do near that distance prior to the event, reduce the intensity if you have to, and remember LONG DEEP BREATHS. Pant and your airways will collapse obstructing the airways further, leading to vicious circle.
  • leshere
    leshere Posts: 38
    Yes I have small airway disease...use Qvar fairly moderately possible cause particulate matter in atmosphere. I am coming back to cycling thanks to my son. My pulmonologist seemed to think that walking (ultra walking) might not be causing me to breath enough to be helpful. If I push it too hard (which in not a lot be most standards on here) I have to stop since all I can do is breathe if you know what I mean. Also noticed feeling really rough after cycling to Brighton (say 50 miles). However this might be my heart rhythm going AWOL...awaiting cardio's opinion on how hard I can push it.
  • ck101
    Thanks all, some great advice here.
    I have just returned from a 2 day 230km cycle. 110 first day and 120 second. The breathing held out well and I managed to keep the pace on all the climbs, finishing amongst the leaders. Yesterday the bike time was 3.56 so we kept an average speed of 30kmh for the 120 with an hr for some lunch. A time I am pleased with.
    I had completed a lot of 60k spins before so I was somewhat prepared. I am back on the inhalers and they seem to be working well, I'm not getting that totally wasted (for days) feeling after pushing hard over a long ride.

One of the guys on spin ( & one of the fastest ) was smoking during stops etc, I reckon he went thru two packs over the two days. Amazing really, if only he knew what it feels like to have a lung problem he wouldn't touch them.
  • rizla01
    rizla01 Posts: 1
    Hi,

Just wondered if the COPD sufferer CK101 is any worse (Two years later), better or dead.
    I too have COPD and dont want to go along with what to everyone else is obvious. I want to work at it.
  • phil1965
    phil1965 Posts: 1
    Well hopefully not the latter as I have just been diagnosed with a mild form of this at age 49. I have taken up cycling in the last six months and hope to be riding for many years yet. The advise to me from my doc, (and I realize everyone is different), was that cycling was an excellent exercise for someone with this affliction as it exercises the airways and lungs but you need to follow a couple of "Rules"
    1. Listen to your body and don't overdo it
    2. If you use a spray take it before you go out, carry it with you on your ride but only use if absolutely necessary
    3. When exerting such as on climbs try to relax as much as possible and if you can take deeper breaths rather than short sharp ones.
    4. Give up the fags :wink:
  • First time poster here but the topic is of interest to me...

I have Cystic Fibrosis and underwent a successful bi-lateral lung transplant 3 years ago, and prior to the transplant I could ride maybe a mile before becoming utterly winded. Nowadays, however, I become winded too but only after extreme exertion -- essentially, just like everyone else. I picked up the road bike two months after the transplant and obviously things were a bit difficult at first, especially learning how to breathe again. When I train I make it a point to focus on how I'm breathing, because as a poster above mentioned it can become a vicious cycle when you start to pant. And that's how I breathed for 27 years so it still is my default position, even when it doesn't need to be. Before large climbs, I will also sorta talk to myself to make sure that I breathe properly going up. Needless to say, it has helped and for my 3rd year anniversary I rode about 57 miles without any lung issues to speak of and felt great the next day. A far cry from rides before transplant.

Overall, though, as someone with a lung condition I take into account my level of breathing before I head out and also gauge weather. For example, days that are particularly humid can make things difficult to breathe. And I do not go out if there's any semblance of infection of decreased lung capacity - that will just exacerbate the problem and send me back into the hospital. Just always be cognizant of your abilities and limitations!
  • tsinognito, your story is pretty inspirational.

Great to read it and good luck with the cycling.

Brilliant.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    An interesting topic as my asthma nurse thinks I might have a mild form of this. Have been an asthmatic for about the last 50 years and was using the blue ventolin salbutamol inhaler before each exercise. She now tells me that this has been of no value whatsoever and may have actually contributed to pulmonary problems. For an experienced runner/ cyclist, my peak flow has been way below what one would expect from an average person of my age. So now I am using a steroid turbohaler and due for a review next week. I haven't used my ventolin for a month and there don't seem to be any ill effects. I think I got into the habit of using it for it's psychological value rather than from necessity. In fact there is a possibility that I'm not even asthmatic, which is strange as I have lived all my life under that label...

Like others have stated, breathing habits can be improved. I tend to breathe very shallow and perhaps need to work on this. Anyways will post the result of my next appointment... Don't know whether this applies to anyone else
  • Mikey23
    ... And it looks like ck101 last visited BR today so obviously not dead, which is good news!!
  • ck101
    :D Still here. Only 45 I might add. My COPD is mild, like others without COPD my cycling is mainly only inhibited by my excess weight and lack of conditioning. Maybe the ability to unleash explosive power on climbs or sprints is not as good as it would if I didn't have COPD.

I do notice after a hard ride of over 100 kms with plenty of climbing my breathing can drive me nuts for 4/5 hours or so. I say its a slight airway irritation and haven't even bothered to try a reliever inhaler because it always subsides.

At various times throughout the last two years I have been able to keep up with the racing group on training spins but not at the moment.

I notice in my earlier post from two years ago I was complaining of not feeling great after rides over 100mins. Seems odd to measure rides in minutes but I was a novice. It seems like a different person now but I do remember having to lie down I felt so terrible. The good news is that situation was purely lack of conditioning and last summer I completed a 200 km ride with 3300 mts of climbing in 8 hours or so.

I have recently invested in a Wahoo Kicker and Trainerroad and my FTP has increased significantly in the last 6 weeks.

All in all club level cycling has given me a new lease of life, given me a new interest that has turned into a lifestyle. Its a helped me lose over three stone. I also breathe easier most of the time.

PS The recent addition of Seretide 500 has made a huge difference to my condition.
  • Mikey23
    asthma nurse is pretty certain now that my prob is copd and not asthma. no point in medicating as its not doing any good, so i had better just get out there and enjoy the exercise...
  • ck101
    The only way you will know for certain if you have COPD is to take a pulmonary function test the one that measures FEV1, FVC and the ratio between them, FEV1/FVC. It's not over at that as they then give you a bronchodilator to see if there is any reversibility.

I personally wouldn't accept a diagnosis from a nurse and would seek a referral to a pulmonary physician. Lastly a trial of oral steroids along with preventative inhaler & retesting would be best practice before dishing out a diagnosis of COPD.
  • Mikey23
    Good advice... Thanks for that!
  • russwin66
    russwin66 Posts: 1
    Hi Mickey,
    I have copd with a lung capacity varying between 22-30% . I have just completed my 3rd Ironman event, you may find my blog helpful www.copdathlete.com

Cheers
    Russ
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    Does this bear any relation to what was called "sports induced asthma (wheeze) "?

I have failed the lung function test as moderate obstruction for over 20 yrs. (46 now)
    Various inhalers were tried with no success, but I often feel my breathing could be deeper and better.

Not sure it holds me back much though, I manage 30k @30kph most nights and will quite happily go most of the day at a reduced pace.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • Mikey23
    Thank you russ...
    Not overly concerned to be honest as im still the fittest 60+ person i know. Its interesting to have an effective diagnosis and to know how and why my body behaves in a certain way. When i was growing up, asthma and similar respiratory conditions were known but not fully understood and some of the stuff i have been prescribed were very strange. The local asthma clinic has quite a few athletes on its books including one top level triathlete

Increasing my cadence from mid 60s to mid 80s in the last few months has made an enormous difference to my cycling and reduced the number of times that my cardiovascular system is under extreme stress. And i have my sabutamol inhaler and daily turbohaler steroids. 4.5 k miles already this year, loads of climbing and dartmoor classic coming this weekend... Bring it on!