Hitchin, Hertfordshire - regular Sunday Ride

Comments

• beerbaron
    beerbaron Posts: 2
    Hi John,

I maybe a long tomorrow morning but need to see how my short ride goes today. Recovering from a slight hip injury, too much cycling in a short time :( , live and learn I suppose. How far do you normally ride?

Thanks.

Nick
  • jamesgant
    jamesgant Posts: 9
    Hoping I can join you folks soon, getting my bike in the next few weeks and working on my fitness in the meantime.
    I have a similar problem to Beerbaron I was training for a half marathon and crocked my hip about 16 weeks ago so Physio suggested Biking so I put 2 and 2 together and came up with MTB ;)
  • Hi Nick & James et al

Your welcome to join us. We do have a few returners (now the sun is out!) and always go at the speed of the slowest rider - so no one is left behind.

Regards - John
  • jamesgant
    jamesgant Posts: 9
    Well, I will be picking up my Rockrider 8,1 this Sunday so assuming there isn't rubbish weather I will see you the week after. Anything other than the normal stuff that might be worth picking up when I get the bike for this kind of riding.
    I will be grabbing:
    Helmet
    Pump
    Puncture kit
    Lock
    Mudguard
    Drink bottle/pouch
    Multitool
  • Hi All Hitchin Sunday Riders....

Although we have a group of 30+ riders many are occassional & we tend to have a regular core of 5-6. However - 2 of us 'core' riders are away on hols for the next 2 Sundays so we may be a bit depleted.

Others should be turning up at the usual time however (8.30am outside Pine Hills Hospital, Benlow lane Hitchin) and we should be back to a full strength core in a few weeks time. DO enjoy the fantastic riding weather in the meantime.......

John
  • Will be back on Sunday for a good local ride .. having just done a 30mi ride today in the blistering heat of Greece. An elevation gain of 2600ft meant an hour & a half climb with 30mins in the granny & lowest gear! So back to normal on Sunday. John
  • Hi John,

I am hoping to join you all for a ride this Sunday and will probably bring a few mates. We are based in Letchworth and are looking to explore different routes.

See you at 8.30am Pine Hills Hospital
  • Hi MarkthomasMTB
    Your more than welcome. Not sure where we are going yet but there are several ride-smiths amongst us and we contiually find ways of extending known rides or finding new bits to do in the surrounding area.

I ride in from Letchworth too & normally meet Mike by the bus stop adjacent to Pasture Road @ about 8.20am - so If you see him standing there - he's one of us...

regards - John
  • Hi John,
    Thanks for your reply - we look forward to the meet up. I have only done Chalk Hill once, so that area is all quite new to be honest. It will make a nice change to the Greenway!
    Cheers
    Mark
  • Great ride out this morning with the weather dry & bright - if not a little cooler....

It was good to have Mark & Derick join us, and Ian who joined a few weeks ago. It was one of our established routes - with the odd new bit (and getting a bit lost at one point!!) but one that I don't think we have done this year. There's so much choice!

It was about 26mi - a circular off-road taking in Charleton, Putteridgebury, Breachwood Gr, Whitwell, Langley and back to Hitchin/Letchworth. Unfortunately it took 3.5hrs as we had 3 punctures - for one rider - which is a new record and stretched the actual 'moving' time of 2hr 20mins - which is about right for that course with an average moving speed of 10.8 MPH. I have posted the ride on the 'cyclebuddy' website - which can be found by searching Logs near SG6 and looking for rides by 'John C'.

We should be out again next week: 8.30am from outside Pine Hills Hospital in Benslow Lane, Hitchin (unrestricted parking along the road) - all welcome.

John
  • The weather is staying good & we had another brilliant ride out this morning -it was nice & sunny with dry & fast local tracks.

We did a loop around the top of Letchworth on part on the Greenway detouring off to Radwell (by the ducks); over to Bygrave; on to Wallington & back through Weston to Gravely & back to Hitchin (well Letchworth for me).

We did 23mi in just over 2hrs moving time averaging about 11mph.....

We'll be out again next week (as usual) leaving from outside Pine Hills Hospital in Hitchin @ 8.30am. Hitchin Station is just around the corner & there is plenty of unrestricted parking along the road.

All are welcome - John
  • John

Having just got myself a new bike I am looking to join up with a group of experienced riders to get myself out on a more regular basis. It appears you meet just up the road from me which is very handy indeed.

Am not new to biking as such but am not sure what my fitness levels are like, although did a 12+ mile loop around hitchin/offley/priton the other week which was fine. Obviously I am a bit wary of holding up your regular ride as it were and I did notice in earlier posts you sometimes have a 'newbies' ride, is that still the case?

thanks
    tim
  • Hi Tim
    We posted that up to encourage any waverers to join us - but in reality anyone can join us any Sunday. Some of us are older / younger - more fit / less fit so I am sure you'll fit in. Come along and give it a try - you'll only get fitter by doing it!
    We meet at 8.30am and leave about 8.35am - so give us a shout (post up here or give me a PM) if your going to join us - your most welcome.

Regards - John
  • Cheers John

Thanks I will join you Sunday then, outside Pinehill hospital 8:30, at least the clocks go back so it won't be quite as early as it would've been!

Anything I should pack in particular, got the basic stuff in a bag:
    Pump
    Puncture repair stuff
    Multitool
    Drink bottle

cheers
    tim

(
  • Hi Tim
    That should be fine. Don't wear too much - a couple of layers including one you can take off -as it's still pretty warm out particularly when you get cycling. Unless there is a sudden frost!

Regards - John
  • John

can't seem to PM you my number, will let you have it Sunday all being well.

cheers
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    Just to let you know John that i shall be there sunday morning 8) Rare to get a sunday off racing or work lol. Look forward to catching up with everyone.
  • Hi guys,

I am trying to create a community of riders in the East Herts area (hertford, ware, broxbourne, hoddesdon etc)
    I've made a Facebook page so come along and connect with us by liking the page and posting a hello! Remember to share the page with your friends and invite anyone you think may be interested in it. - https://www.facebook.com/EHMTB

Our main target is to gather a group of people to organise a weekly ride, men, women and families welcome, everyone's welcome!! We'll embark (hopefully) on a new route every week and almost definitely end up in the pub!

Please ask any questions (cycling related) on the page's wall, give advice if you can and if you fancy writing a review on a new part or bike that you've recently purchased, go for it!

Any questions you can message me through the page or email me on easthertsmtb@gmail.com

I look forward to meeting some of you!
  • Suffered hamstring injury 2 weeks ago and still not right - gutted! Will be out riding again as soon as I can.

Have fun tomorrow.

Cheers

Mark
  • Had a great ride out again this morning - Bright with the sun shining & nice dry tracks - with only the odd puddle!

Lots out - all the horse riders, dog walkers & MTBers getting the last few rides in before Christmas while the weather is good.

We are going to have a Christmas ger together for all Hitchin Sunday Riders - past & present - on Friday 20th December at 8.00pm at the Sun runner pub in Bancroft, Hitchin - all welcome!

In the meatime we are still out every Sunday - 8.30am from outside the Pine Hills Hospital, Benslow Lane, Hitchin.

John
  • Hi John,

Happy New Year!! I have recently moved to Hitchin and looking to get out on the trails. Have the Sunday rides started for 2014 as i would be keen to join?

Scott
  • Hi John,

Happy New Year!! I have recently moved to Hitchin and looking to get out on the trails. Have the Sunday rides started for 2014 as i would be keen to join?

Scott
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    Hi Scott,

Yes Sunday rides from Pinehill Hospital @ 08:30 are on every sunday of the year :wink:
  • Hi guys, I'm Richard from North Kent and Beerbaron is a Old uni friend and I'm looking to come up soon and ride some of the MTB routes. In order to give me an idea what's available Is anyone willing to share some routes on Strava? My Strava ID is Richard Hart, Gravesend, United Kingdom.

Hopefully once Sunday when I'm up I can tag along with one of your rides.

Cheers
  • Hi all - yes we are still riding out but it has been a challenge recently with the extreme weather. The thick winter mud we are used to - but add the persistent rain and high winds & it's no fun!!

Recently when it's been extremely muddy - and the ground is sodden and flooded in places - we have done some miles on Letchworth's Greenway which is a surfaced track and added in a few off-road bits for interest. Last Sunday, however, we got back to one of our regular rides up Telegraph Hill - which was a good,n fast descent.

If anyone is thinking about a good & inexpensive family cycling holiday one of the best kept secrets is the CTC New Forest Cycling week. You need to be a CTC member (which is worth it for the insurance alone) and it's camping or caravanning and it's on in the first week of the school holidays. We took our children when they were small & went last year with the Mrs and it's brilliant. Even better now as it has recently moved to an outdoor activity centre...... I hope to get back this year in som form or another. Check it out: www.newforestrallycc.org.uk

We are still going out from outside Pine Hills Hospital - every Sunday morning - leaving at 8.30am. Given the changeable and extreme weather it's a good idea to PM me if you are planning to join us.

John
  • Hi Richardhart

Many of our rides are posted on 'cyclebuddy'. If you look for 'logs' under SG6 3q - and then select the area - and search my rides are under 'johnc'. You can download the GPX file if you register on the site.

John
  • ianblount
    ianblount Posts: 1
    Hi all
    I've just moved to Stevenage and stumbled upon this thread while searching for places to ride. I guess you guys are going out tomorrow (4th May). I will hopefully be there. As long as you don't mind a new person tagging along?

Ian
  • johnhighfield
    johnhighfield Posts: 173
    Hi Ian
    Your more than welcome - the weather is looking good. You can ride up from Stevenage or drive up and park along the road outside Pine Hills Hospital.

We meet at 8.30 and are generally gone by 8.35 so do be on time! see u tomorrow........

John
  • Calling all Hitchin Sunday Riders......

The proposal is that we have an away day one forthcoming Sunday & car share it over to Epping Forest. Mike (from Wymondley Rd) will lead us around some of their better tracks.

This can be on July 13th OR July 20th - post up here on text me your preference.

We could get off earlier and be back late afternoon.

John
  • The 20th July seems to be the most popular date.

For car sharing we have probable got a van that can take 6 bikes & riders & pos my camper that can take 4 riders & 3 bikes. Keep us informed of your interest in this.

John