Garmin Edge 500 - good choice?

prb007
prb007 Posts: 703
Saw this ... http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-500 ... d-cadence/ but don't really need the HRM (got one) and not fussed about cadence-meter tbh, so am I better off buying this... http://www.freeborn.co.uk/garmin-edge-500 which seems MUCH better value and meets my needs better.
Training for E2E France next year and want the capability to load French maps and routes - will it cope? Will I need extra software, etc. Never used Freeborn - any one here have?? Answers on a postcard, please...
If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...

Comments

• dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    You can't pre load maps like you want/need on the 500, have a good look around and get a garmin 705-going 2nd hand for around £150 to £175
  • prb007
    dave35 wrote:
    You can't pre load maps like you want/need on the 500,
    Why not? Won't it accept kmz files etc?
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    You might be better off with this, http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bryton-rider-50 ... uter/#more

At least that takes a memory card unlike the 500, i've tried to follow a previous ride on the 500 and it's not great-the 705 or the 800 on the other hand are 100 times better for doing so.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    prb007 wrote:
    dave35 wrote:
    You can't pre load maps like you want/need on the 500,
    Why not? Won't it accept kmz files etc?

You can upload and follow courses on the Edge 500, but not maps. All you get with the Edge 500 is a line to follow. No maps at all.

If you want a device purely for navigation and you're not interested in pairing it with accessories then you might want to consider a Garmin Etrex Legend HCx. They use the same maps as the Edge 705 (which cover France), but are cheaper and run on AA batteries so well suited to touring, especially if you're camping. Should be able to get one for a bit over £100 (plus a tenner or so for a bike mount). Maps can be acquired.
    More problems but still living....
  • prb007
    Cheers for the advice. I like acquiring stuff, myself ;).
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    Keep a look out garmin 800's do pop up crom time to time I picked up a 800 with extras fro £225 after my 705 died. But to be honest I prefer the 705 screen and the toggle switch to flick from page to page .A friend uses the Etrex and has no complaints