26, 650b, 29er's

Comments

• Cubist
    Cubist Posts: 73
    You wanna see how the front wheel on my penny farthing just soaks up that uneven terrain since I fitted the nobby nics! Plus, that front wheel drive setup means I'll never have to worry about losing a chain. The standover clearance is rather minimal - but if you believe some people on here, standover doesnt matter one bit!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    edited May 2012
    This is the new MTB equivalent of the SRAM/Shimano/Campy thread for the roadies....

Different bikes will suit different people with different aims riding different trails - Does anyone have a problem with that statement?

Now, given that, it stands to reason that some wheel sizes will suit people better on certain courses on certain days than other days on different course yes?

Therefore you need to try a different set of bikes on the terrain that you ride most often and buy whichever one suits you, not your mate, not Guy Kestevan/Supersonic, you!

Personally I can see high end XC and trail bikes being offered with specific wheels sizes for each size. So Lanky Lankersson from Sweden rides a 29in, Shorty McTitchisson from the US rides a 26 and Average Middleton from UK rides 650b - when they go to the next race, they switch again according to the course, weather etc...The rest of us will have to decide what options for our one or two bike garage is best suited to us, but then we do that already. I'm sure Waylander does nt have a flat backed XC race rocket because he rides DH, I live in Holland so i do. When I go to France on holiday, or up to the 7 stains I have to make do for that one ride.

Economies of scale and problems with getting to grips with it for your average Halfords buyer will mean that one size will eventually come out on top on low end bikes - probably as it's the status quo, it will be 26in

DH bikes will be different again as they re made to ride totally different terrain than XC/trail bikes and have other considerations that make smaller wheels a better option, for some courses (like the Canberra WC?) maybe 650b DH wheels might be better?!?

Either way, what is guaranteed is that there will be a load of people p1ssing and moaning about it on internet forums, just like people did on newsgroups about suspension and people did by carrier pigeon with pneumatic tyres...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dmorton
    dmorton Posts: 244
    I spent half an hour trying out a Specialized Camber 29er this weekend. My regular bike is a 26er Camber.
    I can see no real benefit in the larger wheels where I was riding. It felt noticeably harder to accelerate. This was round a very tight and twisty trail where you need to accelerate hard a lot.

In the latest MBUK they reckon that the reason some see no benefit on test rides is because people go out on a solo test and have no direct comparison, e.g. a time on a 26er for a section vs time on a 29er or out riding with mates. It's a reasonable point. Was that the case for you?
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    dmorton wrote:
    I spent half an hour trying out a Specialized Camber 29er this weekend. My regular bike is a 26er Camber.
    I can see no real benefit in the larger wheels where I was riding. It felt noticeably harder to accelerate. This was round a very tight and twisty trail where you need to accelerate hard a lot.

In the latest MBUK they reckon that the reason some see no benefit on test rides is because people go out on a solo test and have no direct comparison, e.g. a time on a 26er for a section vs time on a 29er or out riding with mates. It's a reasonable point. Was that the case for you?

MBUK reckon alot of things, riding bikes back to back gives generalyl a good comparison :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    One thing I have noticed is that many people who have XC type 29ers fit quite narrow tyres. Whether this is to save weight, or they believe that because is a 29er they don't need such a big tyre, I don't know - but a 26er with large deep tyres can come up pretty close in overall size!

26 and 29 are just approximate sizes, used for tradition. Actual rim diameters are 559mm and 622mm - a difference of 63mm (2.5 inches), or another way of looking at it, a radius of just 1.25 inch difference. 650b is 584mm, or an inch more than a 26er, or just half an inch in radius. So you can see that the tyres make a huge difference.

PS the traditional designation of 650b is 26 x 1 1/2.
  • Thewaylander
    supersonic wrote:
    One thing I have noticed is that many people who have XC type 29ers fit quite narrow tyres. Whether this is to save weight, or they believe that because is a 29er they don't need such a big tyre, I don't know - but a 26er with large deep tyres can come up pretty close in overall size!

26 and 29 are just approximate sizes, used for tradition. Actual rim diameters are 559mm and 622mm - a difference of 63mm (2.5 inches), or another way of looking at it, a radius of just 1.25 inch difference. 650b is 584mm, or an inch more than a 26er, or just half an inch in radius. So you can see that the tyres make a huge difference.

PS the traditional designation of 650b is 26 x 1 1/2.

Damn you sonic, i want to crack an obvious joke!!!
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    chazkayak wrote:
    I have a theory......

Bigger people should ride bigger bikes as in 26, 650b, 29 not just small medium and large frames.

Its an ergonimics thing, I ride my sones BMX, im 6ft2 and I feel like im riding a minimoto, I get on my bike and it feels right. Those that are at the large end of the frame scale should explore 650/29ers to see if the bike fits them better, not just because the press says a 29er is the best thing since sliced bread. I think the other end of the scale is someone small in stature wouldnt necessarilly fit a 29er.

Comments welcome.

After Thought....what about putting a set of 26inch wheels on a 29er frame, how mush extra mud clearance woiuld you get then!!!

I'd disagree with that, having ridden a couple of 29er over a pretty simple test track, I immediately found it an unstable feeling. I'm 6ft2 and not the best balanced person anyway, so the extra height just made it feel clumsy under my control. I can see why they suit some and not others, stick to what you feel happiest on
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • supersonic
    Oh, another thing that bugs me.. when a waggon wheeler wins something, it gets plastered everywhere, even though in MTBing 26 inch wheels by far have won most races. I think we should redress the balance - everytime a 26er wins, make a post! "26er (those inferior, out of fashion bikes) takes win in XC shocker".
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Well, the tag line on BR was something like Absallon wins at Houfillaze, 26in wheels not finished yet! So that's not entirely fair...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • supersonic
    Not our esteemed publication, but often seen on FB and other websites ;-)
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    supersonic wrote:
    Not our esteemed publication, but often seen on FB and other websites ;-)

But no-one wants to turn away the Specialized advertising money or their "advertorial" press releases. They're the worst,
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • dmorton
    dmorton Posts: 244

MBUK reckon alot of things, riding bikes back to back gives generalyl a good comparison :)

Yes, and to make it fair time yourself over a section on both bikes? I'm just wondering if there is any merit to their point. Ok, that is an objective assessment and of course the subjective measure of 'fun had' also matters. My 26er is more fun... but my 29er is fassst
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 402
    e.g. a time on a 26er for a section vs time on a 29er or out riding with mates.
    I remember now. I stopped for a sandwich when I was on the 29er but I took a mobile call when I was on the 26er.

It was quite a big sandwich - Tesco all day breakfast. The phone call was quite quick - just someone asking me what it was like to be a bit of a knobhead "if it's always as much fun as this then it's great" I replied.

So you can see the 26" definitely saved me time there.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I recently bought a copy of Mountain Bike Action - US mag, only one in regular stands in Canada and quite aside fromt he fact it is a terrible magazine it was quite 29er oriented. Of 7 bikes reviewed I believe 3 were 29ers, they reviewed 2 29er tyres, one 29er wheel set.

I dislike the hype of 29ers, but assume there is some merit to them.

I personally am too short to find one with decent stand over - I have enough issues with 26ers! But my mate has one (a stumpy 29er) and he loves his - over some of the blue trails in our local park (rocky and rooty climbs/decents) he cleans climbs easier (he is a much more powerful rider than me but also doesnt seem to get hung up on things so much) and is more composed on the easier downs but we hit a black steep rocky decent the other day and I think the tighter turns and so on hampered his riding - I was simply able to maneuver my bike around more.

My feeling is 26 is the way forward for me - seems compact, maneuverable and more chuckable which suits what I like doing - my mate is more ground bound than even I am and I think his bike suits what he likes to do but cant see it beign good for me.

I could try and track a small frame down to try but since I cat afford a new bike anyway what would be the point!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    i see it this way , if bigger wheels are the massive improvement all the manufacturers claim why has it taken them 30 years to discover it .

29ers are a solution looking for a problem if you ask me .
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • b45her wrote:
    i see it this way , if bigger wheels are the massive improvement all the manufacturers claim why has it taken them 30 years to discover it .

29ers are a solution looking for a problem if you ask me .

Not true, Gary Fisher had hit on the idea in the early 1980's but by then, for no good reason apart from they were used on early clunker bikes, the industry had set on 26" wheels as standard. Breaking the status quo is what took time.

Bet you own or have just bought a very expensive 26er :wink:
  • b45her
    yes i've seen that video of gary fisher trying to justify the sudden must have nature of 29ers too. and yes i have just bought a very expensive 26" blur ltc but not until i tested the 29" variant too .

the big wheeler simply didn't do it for me ,it felt clumsy and reacted too slowly for me. 29ers have thier place but its not on fast technical trails its on fire roads and canal paths

• chazkayak
    chazkayak Posts: 193
    So, theres still articles about 29ers BUT, there also 650b articles and I might be wrong but the hype about 29ers seems to be calming down........Does this mean the bike manufacturers are pushing/paying for less magazine space???
  • b45her wrote:
    the big wheeler simply didn't do it for me ,it felt clumsy and reacted too slowly for me.

That's the whole point, it didn't do it for you or the type of riding you're into. Making statements like "29ers are a solution looking for a problem if you ask me" is just ridiculous though. Personally, for long days on my local Dark Peak trails, fast XC riding and racing, enduros and off-road duathlons, a 29-er is faster.
  • supersonic
    It will be 32ers next - then 24ers will come back as are more agile, then suddenly 26er will make a big resurgence and we were right all along ;-)

I am all for choice. I just hate the way they are being advertised by some.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I rode a Specialized Big Hit last weekend with a 24" rear wheel & a 26" front. Didn't notice until someone pointed it out to me.
    I haven't liked the 29er trail bikes I tried buut I think that might be down to my aggressive riding style & the bikes being designed for XC riding.
    I will give 29ers a try again if there are 29er DH bikes when I buy my next one in two or three years.
  • b45her
    i'm pretty sure intense had a 29" DH prototype , it seemed to dissapear pretty quickly though .

• VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Intense do a few, but the bandit is probably closer to what we call a trail bike here.

Bandit29_1.jpg
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Thewaylander
    Looks skinny and wimpy though....
  • VWsurfbum
    So do you :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 402
    I tried two £4K Specialized bikes this weekend at a demo day.
    1- Stump Jumper FSR Carbon Expert 26"
    2- Camber Carbon Expert 29"

I couldn't really tell a lot of difference really. This was on a long gravel climb, then a steep climb over some roots, a bit more climb and then a big swoopy descent on mud and slippery roots. My slight preference was for the 26" overall, but I would have happily kept either bike.

They were both a lot of fun by the way.
  • VWsurfbum
    didnt buy either?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Thewaylander
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    So do you :wink:

yeh but I am lol!
  • Ravewar
    Ravewar Posts: 208
    I'm late to this post but I have built a 650B bike using Soma B-Side which I ride around mid Wales. You can read all about it here. The main problem is still availability of parts. Some such as the rims came from a now defunct site called Dinosaur Bikes, the rest sourced by LBS Heart of Wales Bikes who have are building up something of a department in their online shop dedicated to 650B stuff.

Obviously I started a discussion thread for people to admire my bke and this thread isn't the place, but I could not resist putting a few pictures to whet the appetite!

6290786251_ac65b877d2.jpg
    6291307086_6fdc74a875.jpg
  • VWsurfbum
    its brown and made of steel, therfore i'm out.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty