26, 650b, 29er's

Comments

• VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Exactly. I agree.

Fella, your 29" wasn't thatt fast on the downs at Afan? and there pretty tame. but it was superb on the firetrack.
    Dude thats not the bike, thats me :lol:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Exactly. I agree.

Fella, your 29" wasn't thatt fast on the downs at Afan? and there pretty tame. but it was superb on the firetrack.
    Dude thats not the bike, thats me :lol:

i was trying to make excuses for you dude :P
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Does that work? Sounds like another pro for 29ers there! :P
  • I do think the 29ers are only for tall guys is a load of old tosh too... Emily Batty of the Subaru Trek team has been riding one for the last couple of seasons and came second at the opening round of the World Cup in SA on one... she's only five foot nothing.
  • VWsurfbum
    I do think the 29ers are only for tall guys is a load of old tosh too... Emily Batty of the Subaru Trek team has been riding one for the last couple of seasons and came second at the opening round of the World Cup in SA on one... she's only five foot nothing.
    Also agree, i'm only 5'10"
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I do think the 29ers are only for tall guys is a load of old tosh too... Emily Batty of the Subaru Trek team has been riding one for the last couple of seasons and came second at the opening round of the World Cup in SA on one... she's only five foot nothing.

Nothing to do with the fact that she has to ride one as part of the brand that's driven the whole 29er thing then......... :wink:

These discussions are dull. Some like them, some don't. They're here for a while, maybe forever, if you like them then buy one if you don't then there's plenty of 26s left.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Thewaylander

Nothing to do with the fact that she has to ride one as part of the brand that's driven the whole 29er thing then......... :wink:

These discussions are dull. Some like them, some don't. They're here for a while, maybe forever, if you like them then buy one if you don't then there's plenty of 26s left.

Not so true though, Specialized for instance has dumped a lot of 26" models for 29ers and i don't begrudge the option at all, just the lack of 26" option they have now :S
  • There is a lot of nonsense on here about 29ers. Try one and buy one. I am 5'10" and have a large framed Giant Talon 2 26er and a large framed Giant Anthem X2 29er and both feel the same in terms of size/fit etc. The Anthem is unbelievably quick in comparison and for considerably less effort too. I have ridden a Giant Anthem 26er and 29er around the same track in the same conditions and the big wheeled version is simply streets ahed in terms of speed cornering comfort etc.
  • VWsurfbum
    There is a lot of nonsense on here about 29ers. Try one and buy one. I am 5'10" and have a large framed Giant Talon 2 26er and a large framed Giant Anthem X2 29er and both feel the same in terms of size/fit etc. The Anthem is unbelievably quick in comparison and for considerably less effort too. I have ridden a Giant Anthem 26er and 29er around the same track in the same conditions and the big wheeled version is simply streets ahed in terms of speed cornering comfort etc.
    I agree :lol::wink:
    Which is why i endded up selling my 26" stuff
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    There is a lot of nonsense on here about 29ers. Try one and buy one. I am 5'10" and have a large framed Giant Talon 2 26er and a large framed Giant Anthem X2 29er and both feel the same in terms of size/fit etc. The Anthem is unbelievably quick in comparison and for considerably less effort too. I have ridden a Giant Anthem 26er and 29er around the same track in the same conditions and the big wheeled version is simply streets ahed in terms of speed cornering comfort etc.
    I agree :lol::wink:
    Which is why i endded up selling my 26" stuff

+1 potato
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Nothing to do with the fact that she has to ride one as part of the brand that's driven the whole 29er thing then
    +1 professional riders ride what they're given.
  • Thewaylander

Ridden a 29er and in terms of cornering at speed on steep terrain it's not there, So disagree. Do you do any real DH? because if you don't i really don't think your riding is universal enough to say there streets ahead in terms of cornering. otherwise fair enough and i'm suprised you find that
  • toasty
    I rode a 26er, it had 100mm forks, I found these weren't enough for DH, so I disagree, 26ers aren't great downhill.

He said he as an Anthem, you ask him if he does DH on it, followed by saying you rode a bike with 29er wheels and a random comment about THAT bike. :roll: This is the pigeon holing rubbish I talk about.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    There is a lot of nonsense on here about 29ers. Try one and buy one. .

But what if we want to try one and not buy one, like I did. In fact I've tried a few! It does remain an option despite what you evangelists say. I get the 29er thing, I really do, but it's just not for me and a lot of others out there.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Thewaylander
    Toasty wrote:
    I rode a 26er, it had 100mm forks, I found these weren't enough for DH, so I disagree, 26ers aren't great downhill.

He said he as an Anthem, you ask him if he does DH on it, followed by saying you rode a bike with 29er wheels and a random comment about THAT bike. :roll: This is the pigeon holing rubbish I talk about.

Actually i used to do some DH on a 120 spec stumpy, so i find your comment irrelevant his statement that it is faster in corners i asked if he did it on DH basically steeper tighter stuff, as thats a pretty wide comment to make if you ride very tame trail centre trails.

And as for pidgeon holing, well most bikes are, can't ride a DH bike up, i've seen it done but it sucks at it. Thats what i've found from my limited tests on a 29er, I'm trying to get wider information abuot what the poster rode to get to this conclusion in corners as it doesn't fit with what i've found at all
  • .blitz wrote:
    Nothing to do with the fact that she has to ride one as part of the brand that's driven the whole 29er thing then
    +1 professional riders ride what they're given.

Not true, they ride what they're most likely to win on and what suits the course best. In a big budget team like Trek Subaru they'd have a whole quiver of bikes to choose from. The men's winner, Nino Schurter, test rode the course on a 26", 650b and 29'er and in the end decided on the 650b... Batty would have done the same and then made a call.
  • toasty
    Actually i used to do some DH on a 120 spec stumpy, so i find your comment irrelevant his statement that it is faster in corners i asked if he did it on DH basically steeper tighter stuff, as thats a pretty wide comment to make if you ride very tame trail centre trails.

A Stumpy is in line with a Trance, it's a trail bike made for a bit of everything. Not an Anthem, did you used to rip up the DH trails on an Epic? Modern Anthems have 120mm, much as modern Stumpys have 140mm, this doesn't mean the target audience has changed.
  • Thewaylander
    Toasty wrote:

A Stumpy is in line with a Trance, it's a trail bike made for a bit of everything. Not an Anthem, did you used to rip up the DH trails on an Epic? Modern Anthems have 120mm, much as modern Stumpys have 140mm, this doesn't mean the target audience has changed.

yes but i'm trying to define handling charachteristics, not what a bike is suitable mate.

It's beenstated that it handles in corners faster than the 26" i haven't experienced this of a 26" i want find how he has come to this conclusion, I find as you get faster and steeper that the 29ers suffer, hence my DH points. Not saying the 29er is not better for the writer is doing, but trying to understand his comment on handling which runs contrarary to what most people have found.
  • pilch
    Toasty wrote:

yes but i'm trying to define handling charachteristics, not what a bike is suitable mate.

It's beenstated that it handles in corners faster than the 26" i haven't experienced this of a 26" i want find how he has come to this conclusion, I find as you get faster and steeper that the 29ers suffer, hence my DH points. Not saying the 29er is not better for the writer is doing, but trying to understand his comment on handling which runs contrarary to what most people have found.

If you are talking balls out DH, body armour full face etc I can't comment... its not something i've done, or wish to do, to be honest my riding consists pretty much average stuff XC - AM, everything from pancake flat to trail centres to natural techy terrain, peaks, lakes wales etc.

These are my own observations

Based on my own riding experience above, cornering is markedly improved across the board on a 29er vs a 26er, (i.e I have noticeably more traction and thus more confidence to go faster round corners with the bigger wheels) I don't see steepness as that much of an issue.

Another factor which seems to help is the sheer amount of wheel in front of you, it feels like although you have a steepish HA this is almost 'slackened' by the wheel sticking out the front... not a great description, i'm sure someone can elaborate on the physics... but it does seem to work

The bigger limitation IMO is making the 29ers work with longer travel to take the hits on the real lumpy stuff... having said that the size of the wheels smoothes terrain to a degree so I think you can get away with a bit less travel on these bikes.

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Read all the reviews, drove myself mad, wanted to change my 26 HT, only way to decide is to test ride, i tried 5 bikes before deciding on a FS Giant Anthem X 29er 1.
    TBH it's a bloody breeze on the damn thing, up hill, down hill really quick, only issue is tight switch backs but other than that it's a joy, one old timer who was anti 29er nearly talked me out of it, fortunately i test rode, which nailed it for me.
  • Thewaylander
    now toasty, that is a response.

It's clear consise and makes sense, though doesn't exactly share my experience. instead of aggressively defending some kind of attack i can't remember making.
  • VWsurfbum
    If your on Facebook my mate Cedric Gracia says this
    https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=2 ... 8557869210
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If I had a budget for a new bike tomorrow, tested one and liked it, and it happend to be a 29er, I'd buy it. Not because it was a 29er - but because it rode well, despite what it was. Or 24, or 26, or mixed, or FS, or rigid.

More people need to think like that, rather than saying '29ers are this, 26ers are that'. Yes, there are some objective differences if generalising and trying to compare like for like (if possible), but a lot of other things going on that can change the ride too.

Another thing is that it is quite possible for a 26er with 2.5 tyres to come up the same size as a 29er with skinny XC stuff on.
  • pilch
    supersonic wrote:
    If I had a budget for a new bike tomorrow, tested one and liked it, and it happend to be a 29er, I'd buy it. Not because it was a 29er - but because it rode wel

Absolutely....the opposite of what I did though, I bought my 1st 29er frame on a whim from on-one as it was going cheap, begged/borrowed/ebayed wheels & forks and stripped my old HT for the rest of the running gear. It wasn't an immediate love affair to be honest, it took me 2-3 weeks of regular riding to get dialled in and to 'trust' how far I could push the grip.

After that however, it was a revelation... for me personally, I can't think of anything that my old 26 HT did that was better and we're talking pretty much like for like here: Stumpjumper HT vs. One-one Scandal.

29er race

29er bouncer
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 402
    The critical aspect is wheel inertia. That will scale with diameter cubed, so the 10% increase in diameter form 26 to 29 brings a 30% increase in inertia. The wheel is much more of a flywheel. Now, if you pick the rims carefully you might be able to close the gap a bit.

I've seen some amazing claims made for 29" wheels. There's only two things to it as far as I can see:
    -larger wheel has better hole and step bridging ability.
    -larger wheel has more inertia.

There's nothing intrinsically right or wrong about either size. It's just a sliding scale of compromise. BMX wheels would be great for acceleration but not well suited to rough ground.
  • tomstickland
    I spent half an hour trying out a Specialized Camber 29er this weekend. My regular bike is a 26er Camber.
    I can see no real benefit in the larger wheels where I was riding. It felt noticeably harder to accelerate. This was round a very tight and twisty trail where you need to accelerate hard a lot.

On less twisty terrain then I could see an argument for the 29er in terms of the extra momentum helping it to maintain speed and the large wheels rolling over holes more easily.
  • tomstickland
    One other thing: the gyroscopic moment will increase with a larger wheel too. The rotation of the wheel acts to resist you turning the handlebars and it creates a force that tries to rotate the bike in the other remaining axis.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    The critical aspect is wheel inertia. That will scale with diameter cubed, so the 10% increase in diameter form 26 to 29 brings a 30% increase in inertia.

How dare you darken this thread with your carefully reasoned logic! :D

Anyway. What happened to 24" rims?