Anyone fancy London - Paris?

Comments

• rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Last time I did it I was carrying panniers but you wouldnt really call the bike a tourer. Just an old one I "converted" by adding a rack and mudguards.
  • velotone1
    velotone1 Posts: 13
    Still interested in mid September.Have you made a decision on dates?
  • rodgers73
    I'm easy on any date in September except the first weekend - I just need people to say when they can do it. I'll review it all later on tonight and start PMing people to pin them down properly.
  • chaos75
    chaos75 Posts: 72
    I'm still really interested. just need dates. i can't do the second weekend as my little one starts school and need to be around for that but can do the 3rd/ 4th weekend of September.
  • rodgers73
    OK guys, I'm doing the Etape Cymru on Sunday 9th Sept so that weekend is out for me. Otherwise, I can do the following weekends and have no preference for which one we do so it's pretty much over to you to choose -

Thurs 13th - Sun 16th
    Thurs 20th - Sun 23rd
    Thurs 27th - Sun 30th

Reading through this thread, and the PMs I've received, the following people have expressed interest -

Chaos75
    Velotone1
    Nicholasj
    mallorcajim
    bigjim
    p9uma
    paul_iow
    lastant
    calumAH
    markjohnlewis

Everyone on that list is now going to get a PM asking them to post in the thread whether they want to do it and which of those 3 dates they can do. Once we've got our replies we'll know if this is a runner and when its going to happen. To try and crystallise this thing quickly I'll ask for replies within 48 hours, hopefully so we can crack on with bookings etc.
  • rodgers73
    There are now 9 PMs in my outbox.

p9uma has elected not to be able to receive PMs so I'll just have to hope he's reading the thread and he's still interested.

Let's see if this gets us anywhere!
  • rodgers73
    Results so far -

nicholasj is out
    velotone1 - 20-23rd Sept
  • adm1
    adm1 Posts: 180
    This sounds great. I could do almost any time in September.

Quick question though - just to confirm this will be a totally unsupported ride? And my bike has no mudguards or rack capability, which would mean carrying all my shit in a backpack (spare bibs, jeans, t-shirt and toothbrush)? Not a big deal, just want to know for sure....
  • rodgers73
    Yep, you got it.

Although you could try other types of luggage like a handlebar bag or front panniers?
  • chaos75
    chaos75 Posts: 72
    20-23 suits me best.
    As soon as everyone replies i will shift my annual leave at work.

Gareth
  • adm1
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Yep, you got it.

Although you could try other types of luggage like a handlebar bag or front panniers?

Hmmm..... a quick google shows racks that will mount to the seat post at the top, and to the axles using an extended QR skewer at the bottom. Probably non-optimal, but coupled with some lightweight panniers would do just the job for a few days.
  • rodgers73
    edited July 2012
    Yes, you wont need to pack huge amounts. Considering how quickly lycra stuff dries out you could easily wash it out at the hotel on Thursday and Friday evenings. Or maybe just carry a single change of cycling gear. That leaves you with with just a set of clothes for the evenings and Sunday in Paris. You could probalby cram that into a smallish rucksack plus a bar bag.

Last year I got all my stuff (including a load of food that I didnt really need) into two Basil panniers that I got off ebay for £20, with a rear rack at £18, and I was way over packed. My wife did meet me at the end with some clothes for the weekend though.
  • rodgers73
    So, the current position is:

nicholasj is out
    velotone1 - 20-23rd Sept
    mallorcajeff is out
    chaos75 - 20-23rd Sept
    Adm1 - any time in Sept
  • Leesykoi
    Leesykoi Posts: 338
    I was involved in the one last year that Fungus the Muffin man mentioned.

Loved it aside from some petty politics but people are people and to be fair it wasnt that bad since virtual strangers organised it remotely through a forum and just about met on the day.

Enjoy it, you'll not regret doing it !!!
    I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!
  • adm1
    rodgers73 wrote:
    So, the current position is:

nicholasj is out
    velotone1 - 20-23rd Sept
    mallorcajeff is out
    chaos75 - 20-23rd Sept
    Adm1 - any time in Sept

Looking at this more closely (i.e. checking my diary) I couldn't do the weekend of September 1st & 2nd as I am doing the Gentle Giant Sportive on the 2nd. Other than that....pretty much open. here's hoping late September weather will be better than early July weather.

Just realised I'd also need to sort out some lights as the nights will be drawing in a bit by September.

Bit of a strange one this....meeting up with (potentially) weird strangers from the internet and then cycling to Paris. But what the hell....sounds like fun
  • Count me in. I can do any of the dates
  • adm1 wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Yep, you got it.

Hmmm..... a quick google shows racks that will mount to the seat post at the top, and to the axles using an extended QR skewer at the bottom. Probably non-optimal, but coupled with some lightweight panniers would do just the job for a few days.

I am in the same situitaion. No mounts for panniers.
    Does anyone know if the seat post type are ok to use with carbon post's

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=28767
  • rodgers73
    Count me in. I can do any of the dates

Great stuff.

Vorsprung on here has fitted a lightweight bag to his carbon post. This might be of some use to you -

http://audaxing.wordpress.com/2012/05/1 ... ubstitute/

That might work combined with a smallish rucksack (as in a 20-30 litre daypack size)
  • rodgers73
    adm1 wrote:

Just realised I'd also need to sort out some lights as the nights will be drawing in a bit by September.

Bit of a strange one this....meeting up with (potentially) weird strangers from the internet and then cycling to Paris. But what the hell....sounds like fun

I'm sure we'll all get on just fine after a couple of drinks and we get the first day out of the way!

Sunrise/sunset times for late September are 6.45am/7.00pm so anything other than basic lights would only be necessary if we end up in any difficulties.
  • adm1
    Looking at the Carradice saddlebags and SQR system - looks like a saddlebag, plus a handlebar bag should give plenty of capacity for a few days worth of kit. I have an aluminium seat post right now, so something like that should be fine.
  • Great idea with those alpkit bags. Will order a couple and test them out in the next few weeks.
    they look spot on.
  • Just spoke to my boss. She'd prefer me to take the 20th -23rd off which looks like a favourite anyway.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Updated position is:

nicholasj is out
    velotone1 - 20-23rd Sept
    mallorcajeff is out
    chaos75 - 20-23rd Sept
    Adm1 - any time in Sept
    markjohnlewis - 20-23rd Sept

So we have 5 people ready and willing to do it all on the same dates. Anyone else who wants to join us then you'll need to be free Thursday 20th - Sunday 23rd September.

Next steps are to

a) book London accommodation if you need it for Wednesday 19th
    b) arrange where and when people want to join the group if they aren't able to begin from central London
    c) book ferry spaces for Thursday evening crossing
    d) book hotel in Calais
    e) book hotel in Amiens
    f) agree what happens in Paris - ie do people want to remain together as a group and maybe get an apartment-hotel or stay in the same area/place, or just sort out your own place wherever your budget allows
    g) arrange your transport home - Eurostar, plane, lift whatever

Questions for those taking part -

1) Does anyone have any reservations about starting from Trafalgar Square (it's not that bad traffic-wise really!)
    2) Are we staying in central Amiens (a little pricey) or on the outskirts (cheaper)?
    3) Who has a Garmin or other gps with mapping?

Let the arguments commence! :wink:
  • I'll Probally get a lift or train to the starting point on Thursday morning ( subject to start time )
    Don't mind too much about Amiens within reason. ( I'll go with majority )
    Will Probally get a train to Calais on the return and catch a ferry as I live in Dover.
    Sorry No GPS.
  • rodgers73
    No probs, GPS isn't always a great thing to use as mine packed up on me last time once I got to France. Map and compass is a little more reliable...if the operator knows what they're doing!
  • adm1
    I've just had a mail from work telling me I have a staff Meeting in Ireland on Tuesday & Wednesday that week. Which will make getting my bike to Traf. Square for Thursday morning a bit tricky. So it looks like I would be joining somewhere between London and the coast. Maybe Maidstone or somewhere like that along the way.

I'll have to see if I can get out of the meeting - I'd very much like to start from central London.
  • rodgers73
    No problem - its just a matter of a few hours between starting and meeting you
  • So how & when are we going to book the accommodation.

Would a closed Facebook group between us be an easier way to communicate.
  • rodgers73
    Yes, I was thinking that something like that would be better than an open forum. I've no idea how to set up such a group as I'm only a casual facebooker. Fancy giving it a go?
  • Ok I can do it. Just need real life names to add people to it. Assuming that's we all have a Facebook account.