Formula One in Bahrain.

2»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Greg66 wrote:
    Oh, FFS! THE BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX SHOULD GO AHEAD.

Clear enough?

:lol:
  • Good-o.

To return to planet Earth for a moment, the issue I see is this: if you pull the GP from Bahrain, where do you stop?

Well, to kick off, China as a ropey HR record, so that GP goes too. Russia is joining the calendar in 2014, and they have a ropey HR record (amongst other things). So scratch that.

A very substantial body of people consider US foreign policy to be appalling. Scratch that one.

But hold on: US foreign policy relies on its military. Which uses arms. So who are the big players in the arms market?

According to wiki, in 2010, the six biggest exporters or arms globally were the US, Russia, Germany, France, China and the UK. Three more races off the calendar (four, if you delete Monaco, because it is really France).

And it takes two to tango: four of the top five importers were India, Australia, South Korea and Singapore. Another four races off the list.

Once you've gone that far, you should probably ban teams and drivers from those countries, a la SA in the Apartheid years. Which I think leaves you with Ferrari vs HRT (although HRT would only have one driver).

It's all a bit silly, really.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    They pulled it last year?

In other countries, I've seen little or no protesting against the presence of F1.

There is here - significant protesting - enough to send the Force India team home early for fear of travelling after dark. This race is also more closely aligned with the regime than some other races.

Anyway, I'll leave you to it Greg, you seem cranky today!
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Are we selling arms and financial products to the regime?
    Are we buying oil from the regime?
    Does the regime own a nice big house in Kensington?

(I don't know the answer to any of those, but I bet at least 2 are yes)
    exercise.png
  • mattwood
    mattwood Posts: 148
    TheStone wrote:

But what has that got to do with the F1?
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    mattwood wrote:
    TheStone wrote:

But what has that got to do with the F1?

I don't see why people seem to think F1 should be making some kind of political stance when our politicians do not.
    exercise.png
  • mattwood
    mattwood Posts: 148
    THe F1 issue is more about the level of unrest/violence in and around the capital/circuit and the impact of that of safety of the people attending/competing and reporting on the Grand Prix.

By siding with the Crown Prince, Bernie, and therefore F1 has taken a political stance where they should not and have put that position above the safety of those attending the race. If the F1 wasn't in town, there would not be a platform to promote the anti-government ideals and therefore no 'three days of rage' so no added unrest/increased violence. Just because the F1 isn't the target of the violence, it isn't an excuse for the F1 to be there regardless.

The failings of our politicians by condemning the F1, but continuing to trade with the Bahrani Royal family is another issue entirely.