Is your bike insured for damage you may cause?

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
Yep, about as contentious as "Do you wear a helmet?" And yes, I am asking it.

Some of our bikes are insured against theft but not for damage we may cause others.

Some of our bikes have no insurance what-so-ever.

Others have full on third - first party insurance, like a car.

Which one are you and why?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    None.

My bike costs £350.

Any bike insurance was too expensive for the cost of the bike.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    BC membership. So, yeah
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • DonDaddyD
    I have an insurance. However my personal view is this, I am not legally required to have 'insurance' (the kind that covers damage that I may cause) when riding my bike. I am not breaking any laws by not having insurance and if I do cause damage to something I'm not likely to go to prison.

It would also be more convenient if my car insurer (Tesco) would extend my policy to cover my bike. I don't understand why they don't do this yet...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    when i lived alone my bikes were covered for accidental damage/theft inside the house but not for theft outside the house as i dont leave them locked up anywhere.

unfortunately i now flatshare with a friend and we cant get contents insurance... and it costs a ridiculous amount to get my race bike covered by bike specific insurance and i cant actually find one that offers to cover the cost of the bike
  • rick_chasey
    Are you angling for an argument/debate about the values of 3rd party insurance for cyclists DDD?
  • DonDaddyD
    nark wrote:
    Are you angling for an argument/debate about the values of 3rd party insurance for cyclists DDD?
    No, nark, I am asking a genuine question while putting across my current perspective on this issue.

Why? And what if I was?
    Food Chain number = 4

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Why should my bike be insured for damage I cause?

1. if I cause the damage, then I am liable, not my bike. Therefore I need to be insured
    2. the bike does not have a legal persona and therefore could not be liable in any event

Yours pedantically
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Covered by my house insurance, both bike and my third party liability.
  • rick_chasey
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    nark wrote:
    No, nark, I am asking a genuine question while putting across my current perspective on this issue.

Why? And what if I was?

You asked about whether people get insured, and then in your 2nd comment immediately started on about not being 'legally required', as if that was a big deal.
  • DonDaddyD
    spen666 wrote:
    Why should my bike be insured for damage I cause?

1. if I cause the damage, then I am liable, not my bike. Therefore I need to be insured
    2. the bike does not have a legal persona and therefore could not be liable in any event

Yours pedantically

I probably have but please point out where I have written the damage a bike may cause. I have car insurance, my car is insured... or actually I am... OK I take your point.

Do you have insurance so that when you ride your bike you are covered for any damage you may cause to others?
    Food Chain number = 4

• JonGinge wrote:
    BC membership. So, yeah
    +1 but also through my house insurance (personal liability clause). Not sure which gets to play in the hopefully unlikely event I need them...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • DonDaddyD
    edited April 2012
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    nark wrote:

Why? And what if I was?

You asked about whether people get insured, and then in your 2nd comment immediately started on about not being 'legally required', as if that was a big deal.
    In the OP I wrote "which one are you and why?" My second post addressed both the which and why part of that question.

And if you thought "problem" then perhaps, and in future, this should be done by PM.
    Food Chain number = 4

• spen666
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I have an insurance. However my personal view is this, I am not legally required to have 'insurance' (the kind that covers damage that I may cause) when riding my bike. I am not breaking any laws by not having insurance and if I do cause damage to something I'm not likely to go to prison.

It would also be more convenient if my car insurer (Tesco) would extend my policy to cover my bike. I don't understand why they don't do this yet...

Think of how it would affect your family if you were sued after an accident and ordered to pay £100,000s to someone caused brain injury as a result of your negligence.

You would end up being made bankrupt, losing your home, your assets etc.

Isn't the £36 cost of CTC or other organisation's membership worth this peace of mind?

Twittering @spen_666
  • rick_chasey
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    nark wrote:

Why? And what if I was?

In the OP I wrote "which one are you and why?" My second post addressed both the which and why part of that question.

And if you thought "problem" then perhaps, and in future, this should be done by PM.

You're very touchy today.

I'm only poking fun. Not serious guv, honest.
  • No.

Neither does the shopping trolley I push, or (when they were younger) my kids prams or pushchairs.

As spen suggests, you are asking the wrong question - your bike need not be insured for damage caused, however it is probably a good idea to have insurance for damage for which you may be judged responsible regardless of whether you are on your bike or not.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • DonDaddyD
    See 'Rick you nark', that's why I made my second post; so that I could have my view challenged becuase while I may post a strong or strongly worded opinion I don't ever believe I'm completely 100% right. What opinion, except yours :roll: , ever is? I'm always open to the 'other perspective' and thus gain because I am willing to see things through others eyes. Anyway...
    spen666 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Think of how it would affect your family if you were sued after an accident and ordered to pay £100,000s to someone caused brain injury as a result of your negligence.

You would end up being made bankrupt, losing your home, your assets etc.

Isn't the £36 cost of CTC or other organisation's membership worth this peace of mind?
    Good point, I didn't see it that way.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    No.

Neither does the shopping trolley I push, or (when they were younger) my kids prams or pushchairs.

As spen suggests, you are asking the wrong question - your bike need not be insured for damage caused, however it is probably a good idea to have insurance for damage for which you may be judged responsible regardless of whether you are on your bike or not.
    Where does one seek this all covering insurance? I mean I am insured to drive my car and we have house/contents insurance, but I am not personally insured for any and all damage I might cause operating said items.
    Food Chain number = 4

• gtvlusso wrote:
    Covered by my house insurance, both bike and my third party liability.

Me too.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    No.

Where does one seek this all covering insurance? I mean I am insured to drive my car and we have house/contents insurance, but I am not personally insured for any and all damage I might cause operating said items.
    Most household insurance has a third party liability clause for damage/injury you or your close dependant living at the same address cause to others. Some, like mine, are worldwide cover.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • rick_chasey
    What's the likelihood of people doing financially significant third party damage?

I don't have earthquake or volcano insurance for my stuff, since I recon I'll take my chances that my place in Fulham won't be hit by either.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I rely on house ins to cover me against litigants wishing to enrich themselves as a result of some perceived fault on my part.

The bike isn't insured as it's either locked away at home, underneath me doing some middling speed in a rural environment or is in this office with me. If it's nicked, heck it's only a bike. I'll go and buy another one. The shops are full of em.
  • spen666
    What's the likelihood of people doing financially significant third party damage?

I don't have earthquake or volcano insurance for my stuff, since I recon I'll take my chances that my place in Fulham won't be hit by either.

Very easy to cause significant damage- eg hit pedestrian who falls hits head on road and suffers irreperable brain damage for example

Twittering @spen_666
  • What's the likelihood of people doing financially significant third party damage?

That approach works well right up to the point you find you've pulled the losing lottery ticket.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067

Squeaky bum time filtering between a Lambo and a DB9 on the Highway the other day, wing mirrors for either certainly aren't cheap.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • rick_chasey
    Greg66 wrote:

That approach works well right up to the point you find you've pulled the losing lottery ticket.

For sure, it's a calculation.

But for the same reason I don't play the lottery, I don't need insurance for highly unlikely events. P!ssing money away. Burglary insurance? Yes. Fire insurance? Yes. Car insurance? Compulsory - presumably because there's a good likelihood you will do noticeable 3rd party damage.

Hence the question - how likely is it that I will do financially significant damage?

Is it more likely than not it will happen at some point in my life?

That seems unlikely.
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    The amount of urban miles i ride a year i reckon the risk of me breaking something i can't afford are fairly high. A ferrari wing mirror for example.

I have CTC for 3rd party and the bike is a declared item on the home insurance for up to £2.5k i think. The CTC was a great peace of mind when i (through no fault of my own- well legally speaking it was, but morally speaking it wasn't) knocked into another cyclist last week.

My favorite part of getting the home insurance quote was when i asked the insurance company, in the interest of clarity, that i i rode into a wall with no one around and wrote of the bike, it'd be covered under the insurance. They said yes. awesome. I'm in the odd situation that i probably couldn't afford to replace the bike i ride to work every day- so i reckon its worth a fiver a month to cover me against everything even remotely possible.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I passed a Bugatti Veyron that was in traffic by the Putney Bridge lights once, I could imagine a clipless incident that would lead to a few scratches :P
  • rick_chasey
    notsoblue wrote:
    I passed a Bugatti Veyron that was in traffic by the Putney Bridge lights once, I could imagine a clipless incident that would lead to a few scratches :P

I've often wondered this - why don't they claim the cost on their own insurance?
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    notsoblue wrote:

I've often wondered this - why don't they claim the cost on their own insurance?

'cos its not their fault you've flopped onto their bonnet and taken a chunk out of their front wing.