Just bought a Kronolog :)

2»

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    well as predicted, being a crank bro's product, its shite...

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Crankbroth ... -2012.html

p4pb8073686.jpg

How on earth can they let a product go on sale if that happens after a month?! Nice excuse from the crank bro's guy though

The bigger issue at hand, though, is the scoring we experienced on the post's upper tube. The grooves that have been machined into the post from the factory are, Brewster says, "purely cosmetic and they are there to hide the marks that naturally occur with use. Over time, the marks form a nice patina, but we found that without the cosmetic grooves, the marks don't look very good." Brewster continues, "The grooves however, are a good indicator of wear. If there are no grooves, it means that the diameter of the circular section has changed, and some sort of bad wear is occurring."

Need a dropper post? Get a reverb.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    lawman wrote:
    Need a dropper post? Get a reverb.
    Of course, they're not without their issues either are they?

Just for common sense's sake, I'll add the next part of Crank Bros' reply as well
    (from pinkbike, again)
    "Please note that during our ride testing, we have posts that have over 2000 hours of riding on them," he continues "and without the shaving or slipping that you experienced. Fundamentally, the system works and is robust. When the system is adjusted correctly (with the proper amount of lever play), and the parts are made correctly, then the post should operate extremely well." Brewster puts the blame for our post's damage on either faulty cable tension setup or a burr on the cable that prevented it from releasing properly, and also admits that 3 - 4mm of lever free play is ideal instead of their original number of 2 - 3mm.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Yes if you read the whole of the Crank Bros reply it sounds a bit more credible.

But still it seems like if you are 1 or 2mm out on your cable adjustment then you can end up with a worn seat tube within 1 month. I personally think that tolerance is way too strict.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    That implies that pinkbikes post was a one-off. However, if you look in the bikeradar review which is on the front page atm, they experienced the same issue!
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Different excuse from the Cranks though

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... olog-46205
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    edited May 2012
    leaflite wrote:
    That implies that pinkbikes post was a one-off. However, if you look in the bikeradar review which is on the front page atm, they experienced the same issue!
    Hmm, that is a pretty damning writeup. However, not quite the "same" issue. Pinkbike claimed theirs wa not locking properly, BR says it's still locking just fine.
    I'll definitely be sticking with my Joplin 4 then!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Different excuse from the Cranks though

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... olog-46205

It's not really en excuse...
    “That quill [stanchion] is 3D forged and has tons of QC [quality control] checks on it,” said Brewster. “The ones we have we’ve tested hardness and they’re all in spec. We hold that to a crazy tolerance standard."

However, he admitted: "The 'jammers' are a little more difficult.” Right now CrankBrothers are looking to the stamped, hardened, tumbled and plated steel locking plates as the possible cause of the accelerated wear. “We have someone in Taiwan working on this,” said Brewster, stressing that this issue would fall under CrankBrothers’ two-year warranty, without question.
    That's admitting a fault, and a possible cause, and course of action.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I looked at holding out for one of these but decided to go for the 2012 Reverb instead. Ive had too many issues with my previous joplin 3&4.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Most problems people have with reverbs are peoples own fault, a few have issues, but none as wide spread as say the old joplin. I must admit that most seem pretty good now, especially the big names, minus crank bro's. Fox's offering looks gash I must say, and I'm very much a fan of fox stuff.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I'm afraid if Pinkbike and Bikeradar guys can't set them up properly what chance does your average rider have?
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Lol. Crank bros living up to their reputation. In my experience their tat has a 100% failure rate.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick wrote:
    Lol. Crank bros living up to their reputation. In my experience their tat has a 100% failure rate.
    POTD.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    dusk wrote:
    I'm afraid if Pinkbike and Bikeradar guys can't set them up properly what chance does your average rider have?
    According to Lawman, "the average rider" struggles with Reverbs as well.

Frankly, due to the amount of experienced riders who can't set up their own gears, I have little faith in the technical competency of mountain bikers as a whole.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Pretty turd review too on here.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I don't know if I've ever mentioned this, but the first remote dropper seatpost ever made, the Gravity Dropper, is 10 years old now, and is still the most reliable, and still the lightest. Oh and also, it has the cable mount on the bottom part, which Crank Bros seem to thing is exciting progress. On the downside, it looks like a dalek's obvious.

Oh I did mention it? Several hundred times? Man I'm predictable :(
    Frankly, due to the amount of experienced riders who can't set up their own gears, I have little faith in the technical competency of mountain bikers as a whole.

Aye. Which is why highly strung products that destroy themselves if they're a fraction off perfect are a really, really bad idea.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Northwind wrote:
    Aye. Which is why highly strung products that destroy themselves if they're a fraction off perfect are a really, really bad idea.
    I totally agree.