Just bought a Kronolog :)

daisbuys
daisbuys Posts: 167
edited May 2012 in MTB general
Well I just purchased a Crank Brothers Kronolog from bike discount de for £215 delivered.

Main reason for this over a reverb was that the cable wont be rising up and down every time I drop, along with the adjustablility of having it dropped to any level that I want it at, and also I carry my bike using a Saris bike beam and it looked like it can be lifted up and carried by the seatpost without any issues!

It's going to be a long wait for my first dropper....hope it comes by Saturday!!!

Will keep you posted once it comes and has been tested :)

Comments

• VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    will be interested to see how it compares.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • daisbuys
    Sadly I will have nothing to compare it too as its my first dropper!

The boys here are comparing to the reverb with positive comments:

http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/kro ... 77351.html
  • turbo1191
    turbo1191 Posts: 501
    I was also thinking about a krono.. wanted a spesh blacklite but they dont do one in a 31.6. have you got a link to the de site..?
  • daisbuys
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/misear ... og&x=0&y=0

I paid an extra €20 euros for the black 30.9mm, not sure why it's more expensive?....But if you order a red one for €239 you would have to pay €20 for shipping anyway!

IMO if colour ain't going to matter much or your after a 31.6 just order something for €11 as you will be over the €250 margin for free delivery to UK.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Do 2Pure deal with warranty issues for CB stuff ordered from Europe? If not you must be a tad crazy to order a CB product that way...
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    nferrar wrote:
    Do 2Pure deal with warranty issues for CB stuff ordered from Europe? If not you must be a tad crazy to order a CB product that way...

Lol. My thoughts exactly. I'm intrigued to see how long the Kronolog lasts given the lifespan of most CB parts.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • daisbuys
    nferrar wrote:

Your right, 2Pure won't be able to do the warranty for a purchase outside the UK.

But to be honest I really don't mind sending it back over to Germany anyway, it's only a small seatpost after all, it would have been a diiferent matter if I was purchasing a bike from over there though....Then you can call me crazy lol....but then again I don't see too many people worried about dropping 2 grand on a Canyon bike.
  • daisbuys
    Got my Kronolg delivered today......5 days after ordering it, and thats including Sat and Sun.

Can't set it up just yet, so give me a day or two and I will report back.

Out of the box though it looks like a solid post, and by hand it moves smoothly when pushing the post down and then upon releasing so fingers crossed on this one.

IMAGE_8994B351-5B6B-4318-AB37-7A519A1D31E1.JPG

IMAGE_3105F900-5C21-42E1-9F66-B18286420940.JPG

IMAGE_A31DA708-CD20-4EB5-9F63-29A15800ADA8.JPG

IMAGE_0BA4441F-34A1-4D68-BAF9-980BD4A1569B.JPG

IMAGE_78D76A05-846E-48AE-925C-235F25104241.PNG

IMAGE_3A8ED9F0-5760-40B3-9F5E-7C19341DDF96.PNG
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Get it fitted, thrashed and report back, as its a nice looking bit of kit - especially like the fact of no more sagging cable.

Fingers crossed for you. (and potential buyers)
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    I will watch this with interest! It is my birthday in June and I am getting a dropper post. This was top of the list.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    has it broken down yet? :wink:
  • daisbuys
    I just installed it this second :)

Havent taken it out yet (one hell of a hangover) but giving it a going over out the back and it just seems that everything works just like it should.

Nothing overly complicated on it, was man handling the bike by the saddle all morning and it didn't flinch!

Just need to give it a good thrashing round the trails now :)
  • daisbuys
    Fully dropped seat and forks......makes it great for storage in my cramped shed!

IMAGE_668C0D48-5809-4F73-BEF8-94AD282A2A94.JPG

Full height seat and forks.

IMAGE_62AF8825-BB7D-4968-8C84-89EF078F27A8.JPG
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Looking good, be interested how it lasts
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    daisbuys wrote:
    Main reason for this over a reverb was that the cable wont be rising up and down every time I drop, along with the adjustablility of having it dropped to any level that I want it at
    Hang on a minute... What?
    Are you saying the reverb only has pre-set locations where it can stop?

I never knew that.
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    Reverb is fully adjustable - take your thumb off the knob and the seat stops where your arse is.
  • daisbuys
    daisbuys wrote:
    Main reason for this over a reverb was that the cable wont be rising up and down every time I drop, along with the adjustablility of having it dropped to any level that I want it at
    Hang on a minute... What?
    Are you saying the reverb only has pre-set locations where it can stop?

I never knew that.

No, the Reverb as mentioned above is fully adjustable.

I meant to imply that I wanted it over the reverb because of the non cable sag issue.....and it's an added bonus with the adjustability. Didn't mean to imply the reverb didn't have the adjustablility...sorry for confusion.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Ah, I see!
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    One thing I am curious about is the height of the collar. It increases the standover height by 2-3 inches by the looks of it. I'd be interesting to know if you can still get the saddle out of the way enough for really steep bits. On certain routes, I think I put the saddle a little close to the frame than a dropper would allow.
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    One thing I am curious about is the height of the collar. It increases the standover height by 2-3 inches by the looks of it. I'd be interesting to know if you can still get the saddle out of the way enough for really steep bits. On certain routes, I think I put the saddle a little close to the frame than a dropper would allow.

Depending on your viewpoint it could be worse than that. You get five inches of travel from your seat height period. If you previously had 10 inches then you will lose 5. That said you can still use a quick release seat clamp to drop the seat post all the way down, for the reverb the collar is about 1 inch so the loss in this instance is not much.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    May I be so bold as to suggest that either
    a) you don't really need the saddle that low, it's like a comfort blanket kind of thing
    b) your frame is to big.
  • bluechair84
    They're the right size, two medium frames for a 5'10" fella. I've not seen a dropper in person, but I've always wondered how much the collar adds to the standover height and if it would cause conflict. If the collar is only an inch, that's a pretty decent trade off but the Krono looks more than that.
    When I ride this weekend I'll have a look at how much post I use and how close the saddle is when lowered, but I'm not in the market for one. Only curious.
  • daisbuys
    Well it drops 125mm down to the collar if that helps?

The drop is plenty low enough for me though, but I never dropped mine all the way down to the collar....
  • daisbuys
    Gave the post a kicking over the weekend and it worked flawlessly!

Didn't miss a beat in fairness.

Down with ease and smoothness, and back up pronto with 75psi loaded into it.....but may lower this to 60-65 to save the seals etc etc

No play, no sticking, no nothing....it just works like it was intended to :)
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Watching this too, was looking at a reverb until now but will be good to get a rolling review on this, by the time I buy my dropper next year will be good to see if it holds up

How often is it likely to be used? In what conditions?
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • daisbuys
    Used probably on an average of once a week rain or shine....

Just need some other members now to pull the trigger, to get a good rolling review going!
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Indeed :D
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    a) you don't really need the saddle that low, it's like a comfort blanket kind of thing
    b) your frame is to big.
    I would agree with this. The other day whilst riding a trail centre I know pretty well, I tried running my seat about an inch lower than usual for the whole ride without dropping it at all for the descents, and aside from a couple of tricky steep sections, it didn't phase me at all. Riding the bike on proper steep techy downhill (nant g in particular) is a different matter though, I like the seat right out of the way for that.
    I would like a dropper post though, riding with the post slightly lower than usual was OK, though I prefer to have it as high as possible for climbing, it's just more comfortable.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    ilovedirt wrote:
    b) your frame is to big.
    I would agree with this. The other day whilst riding a trail centre I know pretty well, I tried running my seat about an inch lower than usual for the whole ride without dropping it at all for the descents, and aside from a couple of tricky steep sections, it didn't phase me at all. Riding the bike on proper steep techy downhill (nant g in particular) is a different matter though, I like the seat right out of the way for that.
    I would like a dropper post though, riding with the post slightly lower than usual was OK, though I prefer to have it as high as possible for climbing, it's just more comfortable.

Though a lot of trail centers have jumps and i love to be able to have my seat completely gone when i'm in trying to get in the air.
  • bluechair84
    It depends on the trail- sometimes I grip the saddle with my thighs for manoeuvrability. On other descents there's nothing like having the freedom to really move around above the frame, especially for jumps. Either way, I did check and the saddle when dropped as low as I prefer is still about 2.5inches above the collar, so plenty of room for a dropper post. I do really like the idea of them. But I'm not doing the kind of 'various' terrain where a dropper post would really shine, I'm spending much of my time at DH where it just stays down for the day.