New To Forum And New Bike

2»

Comments

• p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    p9uma wrote:
    Nice looking bike that, lets have some pics when you get a minute. By the way, what is that thing it's standing on?

That is a 'Minoura Moz' roller trainer. Been attempting to get up to speed with it (Baby steps and that.) I wanted something where i could also ride the bike indoors in foul weather. Cube don't honour warranty on carbon frame bikes in standard turbo trainers so i opted to get some rollers (for the record rollers are tricky)

I'll get some more pictures up shortly :)

Ta, thanks for the pics, the bike looks FAB

Edit: Apologies for the off topic, but I had to Google/YT Minoura Moz roller. I have never seen one before, and I could not grasp from looking at your photo how it worked. I am now enlightened, what a curios gadget, who would of thunk it.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Rollers are a great way of improving your balance - I still can't use them without holding on to something but there are 12 year olds in our club who warm up on them at the track and happily ride no handed for half an hour on them!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Can I issue a reminder.

Road beginners is often the first port of call for many people joining the forum.

Furthermore, it can and has been useful for people making those first few baby steps into what is, obviously, a brilliant hobby.

As such, can we be as nice and tolerant as possible to new people who post here?

Beginners often are unfamiliar with the 'unwritten rules' of cycling (not that they need to be followed!).

Best to take their question at face value and be as constructive and friendly as possible.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Looks ace :) Reminds me of the Rock Racing De Rosas.

Mike_Creeds_RockRacing_De_Rosa.jpg

I've never used rollers. I think I would benefit using them though. Most of my training is done indoors unfortunately.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • maveco
    maveco Posts: 67
    Nice bike. If you can afford it get some Rapha gear, it is wonderfully made and reassuringly expensive. Also people like TheBigBee - I am sure you were joking but does any guy in the country with a Porsche/Aston Martin actually have motor racing skills? You don't need to be experienced at anything to be able to buy expensive gear. You just need to be well off.
  • maveco
    Also as I have said in another thread, much to peoples chagrin, please lose the saddle bag. That bike is lovely, the saddle bag looks like a large scrotum IMHO. Lovely pics too, and I have found myself googling the rollers in your pics too.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    maveco wrote:
    Also people like TheBigBee - I am sure you were joking

Read some of his other posts - he wasn't unfortunately!
  • maveco
    Pross wrote:
    maveco wrote:
    Also people like TheBigBee - I am sure you were joking

Read some of his other posts - he wasn't unfortunately!

Well that is unfortunate. No-one likes a playa hater :shock:
  • Lovely bike mate, welcome to the forum. Look forward to hearing of your progress with what is a sweet ride!
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • maveco wrote:
    Also as I have said in another thread, much to peoples chagrin, please lose the saddle bag. That bike is lovely, the saddle bag looks like a large scrotum IMHO. Lovely pics too, and I have found myself googling the rollers in your pics too.

Thanks maveco. Obviously i would prefer the clean lines on the bike 'Sans' saddle bag but tbh i'd rather have items like tube, patches, allen keys..etc on the bike, so a necessary evil for the commute. Useful too as it means i don't have to worry about all those pockets i'll need to carry all the 'other stuff' i cart around.

Besides which, outside of the cycling community when was the last time anyone heard someone comment on how 'good' a cyclist looked :lol:

Rollers are a bit alien, i hope i can start riding on them without hanging onto something for dear life. They certainly require a bit of concentration so i am sure they must be doing something positive for my riding ability!
    2012 Cube Agree GTC SL
    Garmin Edge 500
  • Result! Just had my first unassisted ride on the rollers without clinging onto anything. Fell off in slow motion twice and stilla bit fidgety on the start. Managed to cycle through the gears and come to a slow stop, feeling quite chuffed :)

Weather real crappy atm, planning a ride out to Derby when I see a glimmer of blue sky nice 25 mile round trip to get me started :)
    2012 Cube Agree GTC SL
    Garmin Edge 500
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    maveco wrote:
    Thanks maveco. Obviously i would prefer the clean lines on the bike 'Sans' saddle bag but tbh i'd rather have items like tube, patches, allen keys..etc on the bike, so a necessary evil for the commute. Useful too as it means i don't have to worry about all those pockets i'll need to carry all the 'other stuff' i cart around

And if you fall off you haven't got all that gear on your back.
    Besides which, outside of the cycling community when was the last time anyone heard someone comment on how 'good' a cyclist looked :lol:

I get comments all the time...
    Rollers are a bit alien, i hope i can start riding on them without hanging onto something for dear life. They certainly require a bit of concentration so i am sure they must be doing something positive for my riding ability!

Watching the YouTube vids of people riding them, it look near impossible. How do get off when you are wearing cleats?
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • That's a lovely looking bike. I'm really coming round to the idea of a Cube Agree as an option for when I upgrade.

On the issue of whether the OP was well advised to spend such an amount on his first bike, well you can look at it this way. I spent 700 quid on my first bike and then, 9 months later, I realise that I now want to upgrade, at the very least the wheels and possibly the groupset. Either that or I buy a new bike with top notch components already incorporated which will set me back at least 1500 quid. Either way, the cost of both options won't be too far short of what the OP has just splashed out and there's an argument to say that I should simply have spent more on my first bike and I wouldn't be looking to replace it so soon . The OP's just getting to the point where I want to be a lot quicker than me and if he plays his cards right he's saving money in the long run. Bastard...
  • That's a lovely looking bike. I'm really coming round to the idea of a Cube Agree as an option for when I upgrade.
    The OP's just getting to the point where I want to be a lot quicker than me and if he plays his cards right he's saving money in the long run. Bastard...

Thanks fella, more luck than judgement. I was looking for a light weight bike that'd allow me to commute without dying lol. Just so happened I loved the colour scheme of the SL.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC SL
    Garmin Edge 500
  • p9uma wrote:
    And if you fall off you haven't got all that gear on your back
    I get comments all the time...
    Watching the YouTube vids of people riding them, it look near impossible. How do get off when you are wearing cleats?

True about the potential to do serious damage if you fall with all sorts of tools and spare secreted around your person. If you get comments all the time you must look a damn sight cooler than me lol.

As far as getting off, well atm I am still peddling close to a wall so I slow to a stop and put the anchors on then just get off the bike as normal. Obviously the bike is sitting higher than normal so I have a step I can put one foot on.

Seems to me the problems people have with rollers come from a lack of common sense. Seriously the number of videos around where the rollers slide out from under the riders because they choose the middle of the nice hard wood floor dining room with no training mat ;)
    2012 Cube Agree GTC SL
    Garmin Edge 500
  • First ride out in anger last night. 10.6 miles in around 35 minutes, not light speed but fun in any case for a first proper road trip. Also added a couple of lights to the bike a Lezyne Power drive front light and a Moon shield rear light. It was nice to see motorists avoiding me like the plague lol.

I think i might benefit from a proper cycle fitting which i am making enquiries about. Loving how nimble this bike is, shame about the weather (still), looks like i'll be on the rollers tonight.... sigh.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC SL
    Garmin Edge 500
  • used the bike in anger since the weather has been getting better. Been speaking to a couple of the cycling bods here and i really need to work on getting my average cadence up which is only around 70, when i've been told it should be around 85+

The first few times the hills around here killed me, but since i've started attacking them its getting easier and gives a large sense of achievement when the top is reached :)
    2012 Cube Agree GTC SL
    Garmin Edge 500
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Look - just tell us you're averaging 6mph and we'll all be happy ok? ;)
  • latest one was 13.55 miles averaging 15.8mph, top speed of 36mph. 768ft elevation gain. Sadly average cadence was 72.

believe you me, some of the hills (i guess they wouldnt be called hills for some of the 'proper' cyclists on here) saw me averaging below 6 lol.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC SL
    Garmin Edge 500
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    believe you me, some of the hills (i guess they wouldnt be called hills for some of the 'proper' cyclists on here) saw me averaging below 6 lol.
    Ah - that's ok then ! :) - just think - can you walk up the hill any quicker? ;)
  • not in cleats :P
    2012 Cube Agree GTC SL
    Garmin Edge 500
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Slowbike wrote:
    Ah - that's ok then ! :) - just think - can you walk up the hill any quicker? ;)

The amount of times ive heard a cyclist say "I can walk up the hill quicker than cycling" as I am cycling passed them, thinking to myself evidently not. Although I do miss my days of long distance running when I would overtake cyclists on hills, I tell you what though it certainly gave them a kick up the ass as usually after a runner overtakes a cyclist on a hill they suddenly find an extra couple of gears.

To OP dont worry about the hills, the more you do the better you will get. I started cycling properly in March and I remember doing local hills and thinking to myself never again, now I breeze up these same hills thinking to myself why did I even struggle with them in the first place. Does your bike have a standard/compact or triple, if you have a compact or triple think yourself lucky for hills. I tell you cycling up a grade 3 hill on a standard is a bit daunting, but my cycling bud with his triple granny gear, just spins up there.
  • Compact 50x34 front and 12x28 rear, although i try as much as possible to stay on the large chainring.

my ride takes in a couple of just peachy 9% slopes which i just 'adore' ;)
    2012 Cube Agree GTC SL
    Garmin Edge 500