New To Forum And New Bike

EclypseDesigns
EclypseDesigns Posts: 24
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,

Just thought i would say hi as i am new to this board. I am waiting to take delivery of my new 2012 Cube Agree GTC SL 60cm bike so i can start commuting to work on it.

Not really from a road bike background and wanted to buy something a bit 'shiny' and get my general fitness level up.

Anyone got any recommendations about shoes, or is best approach to just go try on a few pairs ? the pedals are Look Keo 2 Max Carbon and budget is around (£100-150 ish)

Ben
2012 Cube Agree GTC SL
Garmin Edge 500

Comments

• rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    Hi ben,welcome aboard...

Try these shoes below i can defo recommend them....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270909117610? ... 1497.l2649

Or these more expensive though....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Northwave-Typ ... 896236d7cb
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    In the £150 stakes the Giro Trans take some beating if they fit you
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • That is a nice bike for a commute! Get some pics up when you get it. Welcome to the site.
  • Thanks everyone, i'll take a look at your suggestions.

and i'll be sure to post pics when i get it :D
    2012 Cube Agree GTC SL
    Garmin Edge 500
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    2012 Cube Agree GTC SL
    that's a hole lot of bike for commuting :)
  • Fitness too, on weekends and such;) certainly wont plan to be using it if the weather looks like turning against me.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC SL
    Garmin Edge 500
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Fitness too, on weekends and such;) certainly wont plan to be using it if the weather looks like turning against me.

you'll be riding it 3 days a year then! :wink:

get out in the rain and wind, just need to be a bit more careful but it'll make you a better, stronger rider.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Thebigbee
    Thebigbee Posts: 570
    Reminded me of this article for some reason http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... press.html.

And the phrase in the comments, "All the gear......."
  • Thebigbee
    Thebigbee Posts: 570
    Hi,

Just thought i would say hi as i am new to this board. I am waiting to take delivery of my new 2012 Cube Agree GTC SL 60cm bike so i can start commuting to work on it.

Not really from a road bike background and wanted to buy something a bit 'shiny' and get my general fitness level up.

Anyone got any recommendations about shoes, or is best approach to just go try on a few pairs ? the pedals are Look Keo 2 Max Carbon and budget is around (£100-150 ish)

Ben

I don't really get the point of the question. Money doesn't seem to be a problem. I doubt the majority of beginners spend £150 on a pair of shoes when they haven't really got any road bike experience.

Of course it is best to go to your LBS and try some on. It's not as if you need to save money by buying online by the sounds of it.

Whilst you are there chuck another £200 their way for a bike fit and then come and let us beginners know how happy you are with your £2000 first road bike and kit!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Welcome to the forum.

Nice bike - enjoy :D

from another wealthy Cube owner who is really pleased with his bike
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Thebigbee wrote:
    Hi,

Ben

I don't really get the point of the question. Money doesn't seem to be a problem. I doubt the majority of beginners spend £150 on a pair of shoes when they haven't really got any road bike experience.

Of course it is best to go to your LBS and try some on. It's not as if you need to save money by buying online by the sounds of it.

Whilst you are there chuck another £200 their way for a bike fit and then come and let us beginners know how happy you are with your £2000 first road bike and kit!

Big bee you come across a little bitter as the OP has invested at a high entry level to his road cycling endeavours. Money is only relative ; if I had a couple of grand free to spend on a bike and kit when I started back into cycling I would have. As it happened I didn't so settled for a more modest investment however now that things are financially better I am going to spend a lot of money on my hobby. I could choose to spend less and put the rest of the budget to something else but I'm not going to :)

That said the advice on shoes is absolutely spot on. Get down to your LBS and try some shoes out for size to see what fits well and feels good. Lots of makes take the Look cleats so plenty of choice for your pedals. If you want brand advice then I recommend Gaerne or Specialized from experience.

Enjoy your cycling and for what it's worth your investment is a good way to get into road cycling and enjoy it from the off. A work colleague bought a cheap heavy bike from Halfords for his commute and almost gave up on it as he hated the effort of cycling. Lent him my Trek for the day and he was rescued as the experience of a lighter bike designed for the road switched the light on for him. Did mean he went out and spent a grand on a Trek 2.1 much to his wife's delight! But he still cycles and both for commute and now has joined me in Sportives too.

Have fun and welcome to the forum.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • Thanks everyone. Took advice and visited several local stores to find shoes i am happy with, not bad as they came in at under £100 :D. Really excited now as i should take delivery tomorrow. I've had a chat with the guys here about clubs and local routes i could enjoy at the weekend.

FWIW, i live just outside the peak district, never have been and never will be a 'city boy'. I rarely buy things that i don't go on to use extensively, so thanks to the 'helpful members of the board.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC SL
    Garmin Edge 500
  • DonutDad
    DonutDad Posts: 104
    What difference does it make whether or not the bike is for a commute? The bike's no different, the rider's no different, roads are no different...
    (A long time ago) I went through a period when the only time I could ride was the journey to work, I rode 200 miles a week, on a great bike and loved every minute of it. Should I have suffered a lesser experience just because it was 'a commute' ?
    People should buy whatever gets them out there. It's a personal choice. I got back into cycling just a couple of months ago and bought myself a fantastic bike (relative to my income) to do it on. It's part of what keeps me interested. I go to the garage just to look at it and fettle with it just to have contact, and the ride when I go out is a dream. I wouldn't be having the same experience on cheap bike that I had no feelings for.

If more people began on decent bikes, I bet we'd have more cyclists. I hope the OP enjoys their cycling and, well, nothing else matters really.

I've got a great bike, I'm having a great experience so far and even if it's just this year's fad, right now it's making me very happy.

Somebody sounds jealous.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    DonutDad wrote:
    Somebody sounds jealous.

+1 to all you said.

I'm definitely jealous. ALL I want is a Cube GTC Race SL. No idea why, I just love it (like I love BMCs). I'd want it in Green and matt black
    http://www.cube.eu/en/road/pro-comp/agree-gtc-sl/ mmmmmmmmmm greeeeeeeennn (with envy)
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new bike.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Yep, shoes are definately a try on and see just because the width varies from model to model. Plus ignore fools who comment on how much money you want to spend, it's nothing to do with them - if you can afford it and want to by nice stuff just go ahead and do it.
  • Yay !, bike turned up yesterday @ 3 ish. Spent some time assembling it and making sure everything was ok. Only managed a quick 30 minute hoon around the area as a road test. Really pleased with it.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 9303_n.jpg

Did notice that the chain rubs on the front derailer when i switch to large/large and small/small (yes i know the manual says strongly not advised) but aside from that, faultless. :D
    2012 Cube Agree GTC SL
    Garmin Edge 500
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Did notice that the chain rubs on the front derailer when i switch to large/large and small/small (yes i know the manual says strongly not advised) but aside from that, faultless. :D
    That will be the case. The reason it is not advised is because the chain is under most pressure and crossover (the chain diagonally) will mean it will rub on the front derailer. I would not recommend it at all. Everyone into bikes will tell you this.

Nice bike by the way :D
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Very nice indeed. I am pretty much set on a cube agree gtc for my next bike. Just need to decide which model to go for. Enjoy.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Aaaaahhhh the green and matt black one. Result.

Regarding the cross chaining (I do it too, tut tut) if you have Dura Ace shifters you should be able to 'trim' the front derailleur. I have the older ones (for 9 speed rear) and I can 'half click' up but also if I just tap the downshifter, it doesn't drop the whole chain, but allows me to move the front dérailleur just a small amount downwards to stop the clicking.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Thebigbee wrote:

Why pay £200 for a bike fit when most places do them for between £50 and £100? Also, what business of is it of yours if someone wants to spend £2k on a new bike and kit?
  • DonutDad
    DonutDad Posts: 104
    Nice ride. Enjoy.
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Nice.

I still think you would have been better with a £200 Halfords special. :lol:
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Thebigbee wrote:
    Hi,

Ben

Once again, TBB being a bellend :roll: Considering he appears to be the self appointed champion of beginners (see his patronising 'beginners age' thread) it would appear that he's doing his best to be unhelpful to a beginner.

If it need explaining TBB; EclypseDesigns was asking for recommendations on shoes.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • mcp73
    mcp73 Posts: 94
    Enjoy your wonderful new acquisition! As you live on the edge of The Peak District (as do I), there's absolutely no excuse for not getting out into those hills, having fun and increasing your fitness. Have fun!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Need pictures.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    Nice looking bike that, lets have some pics when you get a minute. By the way, what is that thing it's standing on?
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Thebigbee wrote:
    Reminded me of this article for some reason http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... press.html.

And the phrase in the comments, "All the gear......."

What applies to you then? None of the gear, no idea?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • p9uma wrote:
    Nice looking bike that, lets have some pics when you get a minute. By the way, what is that thing it's standing on?

That is a 'Minoura Moz' roller trainer. Been attempting to get up to speed with it (Baby steps and that.) I wanted something where i could also ride the bike indoors in foul weather. Cube don't honour warranty on carbon frame bikes in standard turbo trainers so i opted to get some rollers (for the record rollers are tricky)

I'll get some more pictures up shortly :)
    2012 Cube Agree GTC SL
    Garmin Edge 500